Charlbury School Governor Vacancy
Charlbury School has 13 members on the Governing Body (including Clerk and Associates) who are drawn from parents, staff members, the local authority and our community. We are diverse in age range, background and skills. Our role is to ensure high standards of achievement for all the children in the school by:
• Setting the school's vision, ethos and strategic direction;
• Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and the children; and
• Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
At the end of this academic year (July), 2 of our longest serving Governors are stepping down and therefore we have 2 vacancies to fill. One we hope to be filled by a town councillor, the other by a resident of Charlbury who has an empathy with the school and education.
The people skills we are looking for are either
• A person who has some financial or IT background to join us on the Finance Committee
• A person who is interested in the educational side of school (rather than admin) and is willing to join us on the curriculum committee. An interest in Special Needs Children would be an advantage but not essential.
The commitment to the school is to 5 full governing body meetings per annum, held between 6-8pm on varying weekday evenings and to 5 Committee meetings which precede the full meetings. Another 1-2 ad hoc meetings on matters arising or sub-committees are also not unusual. There is an amount of preparation time for such meetings and Governors are expected to come into school during term-time from time to time on visits in association with their role.
We already have a full complement of parent governors and to maintain the correct balance on the Governing Body of all stakeholders of our town, the vacancies can only be filled by non-parents. Ex-parents are more than welcome.
I as Chair of Governors and the headteacher, Jane Holt, would be more than happy to discuss the position further with anyone who may be interested in taking up the role. I can also forward a short document which summarises the role of the School Governor to anyone interested.
I can be contacted at email@example.com or 07813 015034.
Chair of Governors, Charlbury Primary School