The Town Council provides a democratic forum for the community through which matters of importance to residents can be discussed and actions agreed, implemented and followed through.
Please see our website www.charlburytowncouncil.co.uk where up to the minute news, agendas and minutes can be viewed. (Last updated 24 May 2021)
For queries, please contact Roger Clarke (Town Clerk)
Contact details: email@example.com; telephone 01608 810608
Town Council elections were held on Thursday 6th May 2021 and the results can be viewed here. Councillors will serve a term of office of three years instead of the normal four due to the postponement of these elections from May 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
At the Annual Council meeting on 19th May 2021, Cllr Liz Reason was elected as Chair of the Town Council and Cllr Gareth Epps was elected as Vice-chair. Both will serve in these positions until the next Annual Meeting in May 2022
Following the overwhelming support shown for the plan in the referendum on 10th June 2021, WODC has now “Made” the Plan which means that it now forms part of the statutory development plan against which planning applications the parish of Charlbury will be determined.
The decision to “Make” (bring into force) the Plan was taken by WODC on Monday 14th June so the plan has legal weight from that date.
In line with current advice and guidance, full meetings of the town council will resume with the Annual Meeting on Wednesday 19th May 2021 subject to social distancing and other Covid security measures. Other meetings of town council committees and working groups remain cancelled until further notice. This includes planning meetings. Councillor surgeries are also cancelled until further notice. Please follow government guidelines, stay safe and respect others!
Consideration of planning applications within Charlbury is continuing electronically (with a summary report to each full council meeting) to enable the town council to submit comments to WODC as a consultee. If you have any comments that you would like councillors to note, please contact the town clerk as early as possible in the normal way.
The meeting will be held in the Memorial Hall subject to social distancing and other Covid precautions. Members of the public are welcome to attend as observers as normal but are asked to observe appropriate Covid precautions including the wearing of face masks.
1. To receive the minutes of the last meeting
2. To deal with matters arising
3. Declarations of interest
4. To sign orders for payment and receive a finance report
5. To receive a report from the Planning Committee
6. To deal with correspondence
7. To adopt the 2020/2021 accounts
8. To review standard agendas
9. To appoint a Personnel Sub-committee to deal with all staffing matters
10. To receive EWG stream reports: a. Land & Nature, b. Engagement, c. Buildings, d. Energy, e. Journeys, f. Food
11. To decide on branding proposals
12. To consider Governance: a: Standing Orders, b. Accounting and Transparency
13. To approve vision, mission statements and plans
14. To approve nature stream proposal on wildlife and verges.
15. To receive a report from the EWG
16. To receive a report from the Strategy Working Group
17. To receive reports: a. Cemetery, b. Corner House & Memorial Hall, c. Mill Field, Watery Lane and Bridges, d. Nineacres, e. Quarry Lane & Ticknell, f. Wigwell, g. Thomas Gifford Trust, h. Transport/Station, i. Neighbourhood Plan Group, k. School Governor
If you have any matters for consideration by the town council, please contact the town clerk as detailed above.
Thames Valley Police 999 if urgent
101 normal calls
West Oxon District Council 01993 861000 Switchboard
01993 705056 Out of hours service
Oxfordshire County Council 0845 310 11 11 Highways complaints
01865 792422 Switchboard
Charlbury Town Council 01608 810608
All council meetings are open to the public to attend as observers only. Under normal circumstances we hold two regular meetings each month: one considering our responses to planning applications, and a full council meeting for all other matters. Currently, in line with advice and guidance relating to the COVID-19 emergency, planning meetings are cancelled until further notice but full council meetings are being held as normal subject to Covi precautions. If you have any issues which you wish the council to consider, please contact the Town Clerk (contact details above). Correspondence addressed via the Town Clerk for the attention of councillors is routinely circulated for consideration at the appropriate meeting. Please ensure this arrives three working days before the meeting.
We are also pleased to offer Charlbury people the chance to speak at the Town Council's monthly meetings as described below. In common with other councils, the Standing Orders of the council do not allow for open participation during discussions, but a time is set aside at the start of each meeting for the public to address the council.
If you would like to speak at a council meeting:
• Please contact the Town Clerk before noon on the day of the meeting to let him know you would like to speak and to give some indication of the subject matter.
• As time is limited we ask you please to restrict addresses to the full council meeting to five minutes. If you wish to speak about a specific planning application at a planning meeting, please limit your address to 3 minutes. Thank you. If a number of people share similar views on a single topic or planning application, it would be much appreciated if they could work together and produce a combined address to the council. It would also be helpful if you could leave a copy of your address with the clerk after the meeting.
• If you plan to speak at a full council meeting, remember that the agenda for those meetings is published in advance (here and on Town Council notice boards) so that Charlbury people are informed of what will be discussed at the meeting. This means that the council cannot usually enter into discussion of any matter raised by the public at such a meeting if that matter does not appear on the published agenda. It can, of course, be considered for inclusion on the agenda at a future meeting; or may be discussed if it relates to an issue already on the agenda (e.g. as correspondence received). If you'd like a written response to any questions raised, please leave your details with the Clerk.
• A brief record will be included in the minutes of the meeting. The chairman does have the right to rule any statement as inappropriate though obviously we hope this will not be the case. Please ensure that comments are not personalised.
A full set of rules, and the council's Standing Orders, are available on request from the Town Clerk.
The Mill Field Management Plan can be viewed at www.charlburytowncouncil.co.uk/images/committee/Mill%20Field%20management%20plan%202018.pdf