Jon Carpenter

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 5

Fri 17 Sep 2021, 07:17 (last edited on Fri 17 Sep 2021, 07:18)

The Oxford Mail has published an obituary: https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19586116.obituary-radical-bookseller-activist-jon-carpenter/

clare shakya
👍 3

Sat 12 Jun 2021, 21:07

Jon was a great inspiration, his passion to get things to change, his wonderful view on life. At times we may have frustrated him (eg not doing enough on social media to get the word out on climate change), but he was always willing to do enough to make a difference. My favourite memory was the climate procession through Witney. His drum beat being at a slightly different time to everyone else’s. A man who truly marched to his own drumbeat. 

He will be greatly missed. All out thoughts are with Angela and the family. 

Vicky Buser
👍 2

Sat 12 Jun 2021, 19:58

As others have mentioned below, one of Jon's many legacies is as co-founder of CRAG (Charlbury Refugee Action Group). All of us on the CRAG committee will miss him terribly, and we have posted a short tribute to Jon on the CRAG webpage. 

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Sat 12 Jun 2021, 11:07

The illness and loss of Jon is deeply saddening, for all of the reasons previously mentioned below. He contributed so much over the years to Charlbury. His bookshop was so lovely, and is still missed. I send my condolences to his family. 

mike breakell
👍 1

Sat 12 Jun 2021, 09:52

So sorry to hear this sad news. I knew Jon for many years meeting him first in his shop in Cowley Road Oxford almost fifty years ago, when his views on planning matters and the environment were so refreshingly radical . Then  via Finstock, Wychwood, Charlbury, Evenlode books, CHOC and CRAG  Jon made a wonderful contribution to life here. Sincere condolences to Angela and family.  Mike Breakell

Judy Dod
👍 6

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 21:53

Charlbury has lost a highly valued and greatly respected character.  Jon was a campaigner all his life, fighting for the causes he believed in with huge energy and passion.  Having been a neighbour of his in Oxford, I was delighted when he came to Charlbury and opened his bookshop here.  He was always helpful, operated a wonderfully speedy and efficient book ordering service, and his bookshop supplied many last-minute birthday presents for family and friends.  A life well lived.  Sympathy to Angela who nursed him through his very distressing illness, and to Jon's children and grandchildren.

Jon was very supportive of the museum too and we now have his carved wooden bookshop sign on display. We are deferring our usual weekly website posting until Sunday so that more people will have the chance to read Richard's tribute to Jon. 

Kathy Broughton
👍 1

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 20:07

Jon has been an important part of Charlbury ever since we moved here 17 years ago--the bookshop, CHOC, CRAG--any endeavour that required thoughtful kindness and consideration of others. He always thought of ways to make something better.

We're very sorry to hear of his passing. Our best wishes to Angela and family. 

Kathy & Richard Broughton

Flora Gregory
👍 1

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 19:45

Jon and his bookshop were influential in my moving to Charlbury. He was always so supportive and positive and encouraging .  I have thought of him so much these days, and am sorry to hear this news. Warmest to Angela, and to his family. 

Helen Josephine Wright
👍 1

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 18:03

I was extremely sad to learn of Jon’s death & want to pass on sincere condolences to Angela & Jon’s family at this sad time.

Whenever I called into the bookshop Jon was so very helpful, especially helping obtain the books needed by our visiting Canadian Students. A wonderful man to know.

Brigid Sturdy
👍 1

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 15:31

A very gentle man who showed many kindnesses to me and others.

Birgit den Outer
👍 1

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 15:29

My sincere condolences to Angela and family. Jon was a fixed presence in Charlbury life and enriched the town in many ways. I loved hanging out in his tiny bookshop. I will miss him. 

Adrian Hunter
👍 1

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 13:29

Very sad and shocked to learn this news. Jon was always so cheerful and enthusiastic in many good causes; he will be much missed. My sincere condolences to his family.

Diana Limburg
👍 2

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 12:16

I'm so sorry to hear Jon has passed away. Reading this made me realise how much I associate him with Charlbury. Firstly as the man in the bookshop (can easily picture him sitting there) and later as someone deeply involved in CRAG and all things Charlbury. This town will miss him.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Tim Crisp
👍 1

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 12:04

Very sad news indeed. With his forthright and erudite manner Jon was a driving force behind so many good things that took place in Charlbury, and continue to do so, contributing to what helps make Charlbury a special place in which to live.

Leah Fowler
👍 1

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 11:42

Jon Recccomend Child bereavement books when I worked for SeeSaw which was a great help to me. 

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 11:17

My sincere condolences to Angela and to Jon's family.  Jon always played a big role in Charlbury.  When we first came to live in the town we loved his bookshop where he would order anything you wanted and offered a discount. Later he was the driving force behind CHOC and CRAG. He will be very much missed.

Andrew Chapman
👍 4

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 11:12

Sorry to hear this. I think one of my first reactions to discovering Charlbury was 'It's got a bookshop!' I didn't know Jon as well as some others will have done, but shared an interest in small press publishing, and did discuss the possibility of taking on the bookshop when it was closing. Jon was the archetypal bookseller – curmudgeonly, erudite and with the very best social values. A sad loss to the community, and condolences to Angela and family.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 1

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 10:51

So sorry to hear about Jon’s passing.  He will be sorely missed.  Always remember him sending articles for the Chronicle about the CRAG concerts.  And being one of the admins for this website and stating opinions about what should be approved or deleted!!! My thoughts are with Angela and family .

John Partington
👍 2

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 10:47

When Jon gave up the bookshop I looked briefly at taking it over, but prudence prevailed. I'm pleased though to have inherited most of his Wychwood Press stock, which with typical generosity he wanted sold for charity, especially CRAG.

Sincere condolences to the family.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 10:33

So, so sorry to hear that Jon has died. He gave so much to Charlbury, and his energy and his presence will be sorely missed.

With sympathy to Angela and to his family.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 3

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 09:22

Jon Carpenter, the much-loved owner of Evenlode Books and one of Charlbury’s great champions, passed away this week. You can read more on the news page. I am sure people will want to add their memories of Jon – you might want to use this thread to do so.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.