Continual night humming noise pollution

Kat Patrick
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2012, 11:15

Snow really does seem to dampen it. I don't usually like snow, but have been glad for two good nights' sleep in a row without having to use my humidifier.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Tue 7 Feb 2012, 11:50

There are many different microphones designed for different uses, so i suggest you ask the scientist to specify the specific type. Perhaps even makes and model numbers as examples.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 6 Feb 2012, 20:49

Under the Freedom of information act, I would like to know what planning permission has been given to Southern Electric substation, Hydac and for the mobile phone masts near the railway line in Charlbury. This LFN started in approx July 2010.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 6 Feb 2012, 20:33

A LFN scientist, who has done extensive research on LFN has contacted Hywel Davies, to ensure that WODC EHOs take us seriously, as they are not, at the moment. It is a sound nuisance and there are serious health implications, which you all may not be aware of, just because you can't hear it too.

WODC seem to think, that just because they can't hear this LFN, and their sound recording kit, doesn't pick up on this LFN, they think that they can get away without helping us. Kat and I are not going to let this happen!

This scientist has recommended a free software programme, and it is best used with an external microphone to avoid picking up HDD noises.

Does anyone have an external microphone we can loan?

It would be most appreciated.

Kat Patrick
👍

Sat 4 Feb 2012, 11:31 (last edited on Sat 4 Feb 2012, 21:02)

Never mind about meeting tonight -- the snow would preclude an officer's coming anyway -- best to leave us all at home and snuggled in beds (and sometimes, snow dampens the Hum anyway!).

John Biggs
👍

Mon 30 Jan 2012, 21:26

Janet (not John)

I have been involved in other threads, earlier than this, because I too was plagued by a noise similar in many respects to the LFN described here. I haven't contributed to this one as it seemed that the noise I was hearing was higher (a mid-range frequency). Jon Carpenter did suggest that it might be a harmonic of the LFN that I was hearing, which I think is quite possible. I have listened to the noise for several years and have bee driven to distraction by it. and suffered greatly from lack of sleep. However, amazingly, and for no obvious reason, since the end of 2011 it has all but stopped and peace and sleep have mercifully returned. Occasionally I think I can hear it very faintly but have to strain my ears to do so. I wonder whether any event has taken place or ceased to take place recently? obviously not directly affecting the LFN but perhaps associated with it. Hydac and the Southern Electric substation. We do have odd acoustic effects here. I hope this is not a red herring: I'm sorry that this is not going to be especially helpful to Charlotte, Kat and others, with whom I have shared similar distress, but there may be a clue to some sort of change of activity which has gone on recently.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 30 Jan 2012, 18:41

There are definitely more of you folks who can hear this noise, living very close by. There's definitely a pattern arising.

Don't worry; you wouldn't be a bother, if you contact me via mail. I promise to keep your identity anonymous.

For all us folks that can hear this LFN pollution, we all would very much like to hear more from you. I really mean that.

It's not easy for WODC to locate without your help.

Please contact me, even if you believe your thoughts are way off course. Any LFN thoughts would be useful, except from Stavros, that is, whoever he is!

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 30 Jan 2012, 15:25

I promised to those, who have previously complained about this LFN, that I would update this forum, with the latest news

I have contacted also The Low Frequency Noise Suffers Association and the Environmental Protection UK and await their calls.

I have noted that, as sound recording equipment does not pick up on WODC sound recording kit the LFN, and that WODC are able to borrow this recording equipment from another local authority, as stated in the DEFRA docs.

Many thanks Hywel Davies and Glena, for meeting me, at my cottage this morning. They are both very kindly contacting Neil, for me.

If anyone does hear this noise, please do not be frightened of contacting me, as I do need support from those who do. You can contact me through the forum mail, or contact Glena/Hywel. I am aware that many people do hear this noise here, who live near me.

I have heard from Neil this morning, and he tells me that this case is on the priority list for an 'out of hours' officer. I just need an 'out of hours' WODC EHO, who can hear this LFN? When I know that this officer can hear the LFN, I can then request a visit to my cottage and listen outside, to where the noise is coming from, with the correct LFN sound recording kit. As I've said before, the noise is coming from very close by.

Neil also says in his email that 'Rest assured where & if we identify a source or perpetrator, action to abate the nuisance will be swift, decisive and within the scope of the Act above, which provides me with legal authority to address statutory nuisances'.

I'm relieved that we seem to be making a small step in the right direction.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 30 Jan 2012, 08:18

I can clearly hear LFN coming from Southern Electric, and machinery at Hydac, and boilers close to me.

I also wonder if the LFN is coming from the either the street lamps, or Thanks Water pumps?

It's coming from somewhere close to me. I drove all around Charlbury and can clearly hear this LFN, around me and in the same places as others have mentioned.

This is another doc that explains the LFN damage, well.

www.environmental-protection.org.uk/noise/environmental-noise/low-frequency-noise/

I really hope that this morning, a more realistic, sensible and professional measures are taken, by WODC, to stop this noise pollution.

Many thanks Kat and Malcolm for your kind constructive comments, and others, who I have spoken to, who hear this noise.

Kat Patrick
👍

Sat 28 Jan 2012, 23:25

Dear Malcolm, thanks for that pdf file.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Sat 28 Jan 2012, 21:52 (last edited on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 22:08)

I wouldn't move to the Welsh mountains or valley's lots of wind farms springing up for green energy. They i'm afraid are a sure fire bet for noise problems I understand if you live too close.
At the end of the report i posted the other day there are two organisations detailed have you had any contact with them?
https://guide.glosnhs.net/guide/resource/images/logos/Low%20Frequency%20Noise%20Sufferers%20Helpline.pdf

archive.defra.gov.uk/environment/quality/noise/research/lowfrequency/documents/nanr45-procedure.pdf

Low Frequency Noise Suffers Association
Laundry Cottage
Home Farm
Leicester Road
Thornhaugh
Peterborough
PE8 6N
01780 783416

British Tinnitus Association
4th Floor White Building
Fitzalan Square
Sheffield
S1 2AZ

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sat 28 Jan 2012, 14:45

Another Enstone fying lesson, just now, or one of those rich privates!

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sat 28 Jan 2012, 13:17

Acually I got that wrong - they're building 12 spitfires.

www.enstoneflyingclub.co.uk/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=7822

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sat 28 Jan 2012, 13:09

Just as I was getting some shut eye, this buzzing spitfire hums in the sky. Great, now there will be 6 of them, this summer to buzz around. I just want peace, is that much to ask for? I need to buy a caravan, and move to the Welsh mountains, and listen to sound of the birds, the sheep and a stream in the valleys, or the sound of the sea. Just anyone want to buy my cottage? It's up for sale, privately! And, only sensible offers, cash buyers and no chains, will be considered!

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sat 28 Jan 2012, 00:25

Miss Suman Lal-Sarbatta BSc(Hons) MCIEH rang me this afternoon and she's coming to my house, at 10.45am Monday 30th January with Hywel Davies, and hopefully Glena Chadwick, a very kind offer of attending.

Suman is the Senior Environmental Health Officer, Community Services, www.westoxon.gov.uk

Suman, actually murmured to me that her visit would be a waste of time, this afternoon, during our conversation. I couldn't help but laugh.

Kat Patrick
👍

Fri 27 Jan 2012, 22:18

If I hadn't had two months of silent nights in Texas this summer, then perhaps I'd think my ears were making it all up. However, I did have a perfect summer holiday with no humming at night, and then, back in Charlbury and environs, I have been investigating where I hear it (do note: I have especially acute hearing, like able to hear watches tick across the room -- if earplugs worked on this blasted Hum, I'd wear them, but being ELF, it buzzes right through the earplugs).

Anyway, I've heard it in every room in my house, outside my house, a couple of doors down from your house, Malcolm, on Marlborough Place, in St Mary's Church, at Kiddington, in the car park at Harper's in Chipping Norton, and tonight, in a lay-by outside of Crawley.

Charlotte has told me that she doesn't hear it near the woods on the Woodstock Road, so I'm hoping to try that soon and see if there is actually a geographical limit.

Well, there must be one somewhere -- I didn't hear it in Inverness two summers ago!

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:57

Appreciate your problems, although I live not that far away from you I have to admit I don't hear any of the types of noises you mention. Our main noise problems are inconsiderate people slamming car doors early in the morning or late at night. There has been a considerable increase in aircraft noise from Brize Norton Traffic. I presume this will only get worse as more traffic is pulled in from other airfields which are being closed as part of the defense cuts.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:48

Malcolm, many thanks for your thoughts, but this noise is all around a certain area in Charlbury. Three miles outside Charlbury, there is peace, and heaven. Your Defra report was most interesting. And, yes I've acute hearing on LF noise.

An hour ago, I heard another tile falling off my neigbour's roof; the chimney pot fell down a few weeks ago, off their next door neighbours. These tiles and this chimney pot could have killed someone in the road. There are cracks on my wall, and certainly evidence of subsidence from this LF noise. Mind you we've just had another helicopter hovering over, and that was the same time as the tile falling! Effects of LF noise!

Possible sources of low frequency noise are many and varied but are often industry related. The following is a list of common sources:

Pumps Fans
Boilers Ventilation plant
Electrical installations Road, rail, sea and air traffic
Amplified music Cooling towers
Wind farms

I really hope that those whose jobs it is ?" to support us, and do something about this issue read Malcolm's Defra report.

I still don't hear any news of any action being taking place. V disappointing.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Fri 27 Jan 2012, 02:19

So Stavros, is your last name Flatley? stavrosflatleyofficial.com
Maybe Stavros is responsible for this noise. Fishy! Oh Richard, do share the real identity of Stavros! I dare you?

My latest news is; I now have the pleasure of Cllr Hywel Davies ?" (Conservative) supporting me! Well, I got an email from him, straight after emailing our David Cameron's crew in Witney! Funny that!

No doubt, I'll hear the talk and no action! It's all so apparent what goes on these days, around here. The wealthier get wealthier and the poor get poorer. Another promise and no results. And, so it goes on, as Dean Pit.

Like Glena, Liz and Kate say, 'You can't make this up'.

David Cameron, don't forget your middle England folks, here in Charlbury, very close to where you chill at the weekend, in Dean. You are our MP and our Prime Minister. I look forward to your help and action, and stopping this hum.

And yes, the hum still goes on, and on. And, yes this is more evidence that I'm still awake. And, yes I'm extremely tired and extremely fed up.

I'm really not impressed, by those who are in high positions, who are doing nothing to help, just passing the buck.

WODC and others, who also don't give a damn, are just hoping that I, like others, will give up and just go away quietly. Not a chance. I know you're reading this Neil.

To those who can't hear this hum, here in Charlbury, you're so lucky.

Malcolm Biranek
👍

Wed 25 Jan 2012, 22:54 (last edited on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:33)

You may find this DEFRA report of use www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/158512/0042973.pdf

The paper implies that your room may be on a node of the low frequency sound wave so you may not experience the problem in another bedroom for example. Also if you slept somewhere else in the room the the "noise" may not be so loud. If this is the case it might be worth consulting someone who is in the acoustic/audio field as its possible to add "damping" materials in a room to reduce or eliminate certain sound frequencies.

Kat Patrick
👍

Wed 25 Jan 2012, 20:15

Stavros ... I have to say that I'm not very happy with your lack of sympathy. You are lucky to not be LFS-sensitive, but it is a condition that is often very distressing, especially because it's caused by an external low-frequency source that's completely out of one's control.

Although only two people have posted vociferously on this website, there have been numerous complaints in the past couple of years about it, but since each complaint is dealt with confidentially and individually by the council, it often feels as though I'm the only one hearing it, and might be going barmy. (If I hadn't spent two months in Texas without hearing it at all, I might still think I'm barmy!)

This forum has been excellent for hooking up a few of us so we know we're not the only ones, and perhaps, together, we can get the council to improve their methods of detecting and isolating the frequency so we can finally have a night's sleep without this low thrumming noise in the back of our ears and rattling our teeth. Being low-frequency, earplugs don't even help.

It can actually lead to quite serious health conditions. You should google "The Hum" and see how far-reaching, how debilitating, and yet, how mysterious it all is.

On the other hand, if you don't find this thread of any interest to yourself, you really needn't click on it in the future.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 25 Jan 2012, 17:15

Stavros - could you use your real name please as requested in the guidelines; thanks. Let me know via a site message (well, I do actually know your real name already, but hey...) and I'll change the record.

Stavros
👍

Wed 25 Jan 2012, 16:17

What humming noise? If there was such a thing, i'm sure the residents of Charlbury would do something about it. What is the current count of people affected by this "Continual humming noise"? Two?

Charlotte Penn
👍

Wed 25 Jan 2012, 16:04

The hum has been loud, for us who hear it, every night and all night, and still continues. This has been confirmed to me by others, who have heard and continue to hear this hum. I still have to take sleeping pills every night. I've not heard anything from the council, to what happened on their Monday night's visit. I'm not happy about this, and am not impressed. I need to sleep, as we all do.

glena chadwick
👍

Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:06

Charlotte and Kat---I feel great sympathy for you and do hope that Neil will be able to sort out what the noise is and what is making it. I haven't entered this thread before not because of lack of sympathy or because I don't believe you---which,of course, I do, but because I can't myself hear it and so I feel I have nothing sensible to add. I do suffer a little from tintinus---worse at some times than others and varied in its effect, and my children point out that my hearing is not what it used to be so maybe that is why. However, I do hope you will get some relief very soon.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:23

Good news, I've just spoken to Neil WODC, and he has told that the head of WODC has requested an update on their investigations.

Having spoken to several ladies, they tell me that WODC's digital sound recorders are unable to pick up this low hum. Kat is in contact with a scientist who can hear this noise and has a recorder ?" to pick up this sound. We are working with the council ?" to help us too.

Neil is programming visits during the night, this week or next weekend, around Charlbury. I hope that they come on a quiet windless night, otherwise they won't hear the hum.

Hopefully we are making progress, and will keep you all informed.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 23 Jan 2012, 08:15

The humming was loud again last night, so at 1am, I was forced into taking a sleeping tablet. I feel dreadful today, so this noise has ruined another day, making me feel even more ill. I'm in tremendous pain with my fibromyalgia and unable to do what I wanted to do. I really hope that something is done very soon, as I can't keep living my life like this.

I'm sure that Neil WODC will try his hardest, as he is a nice chap, but he needs support from others in Charlbury, with suggestions. And, from the Town Council. I've not heard anything from them yet, as I have emailed most of them. I look forward to hearing some positive news very very soon.

Brigid Sturdy
👍

Sun 22 Jan 2012, 15:02

Yes, it was noisy last night until at least 1.30 a.m. (and I believe may be still around on Sunday at 3 p.m., although it's now quite windy outside).

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sun 22 Jan 2012, 04:53

Evidence that I'm still awake and have been throughout the night, because of that noise.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sun 22 Jan 2012, 00:04

Oh, and lastly, I really hope no one dares to say, 'Please calm down dear'! I say going purple, with steam coming out of ears, after years of bad sleep and chronic pain!

I forgot to say many thanks for diagnosing me Kate; about this 'Change' thing. My Doctor has put down to stress and lack of sleep! Kate, are you a doctor, you are definitely well educated, like a great deal of lovely ladies here in Charlbury! Charlbury's forum is most informative!

Does anyone know a quick route to planet Zen?

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sat 21 Jan 2012, 22:07

The sound is like a giant air/heat extractor, with immense power.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_level_meter

I do believe that some folks know what it is, and are keeping very quiet.

Press headline, 'David Cameron allows his consistency to suffer in silence'.

Kat Patrick
👍

Sat 21 Jan 2012, 21:38

People who can't hear it don't understand the fuss. I won't insist on helping people hear it, either. Once you get "attuned" to the noise (and it's there -- you will probably think it's a distant airplane, or someone's heating, or a washer on spin cycle, or a diesel engine somewhere on the roads out of Charlbury) -- then it will be there. And be there. And haunt you.

Honestly. You can't make it up.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sat 21 Jan 2012, 19:49

Many thanks Richard, but The Hum has to come from somewhere, whether it be volcanic? I don't believe we are above a volcano. Thanks though for your suggestion, and apologise if you feel that I'm being dismissive. Maybe you are right, we shall see?

The reason for doubts to this theory is that this hum gets louder from somewhere close, but with the echo effect of being on the side of a valley, it's not easy to pin point.

This hum sounds is more evident on these quiet windless nights.

I still believe that there is a genuine cause of this hum, and that we will find out, where it is coming from.

I have also noticed more subsidence, with more cracks on Charlbury buildings, due to these constant vibrations. This is no good for house prices either. No one wants to live with noise pollution and vibrating humming, and houses subsiding. House prices are about to fall dramatically with this recession. We don't want our house prices to fall, do we?

I have emailed all CTC and WODC and DC, with all my information, begging them for support, while I and many others suffer in silence.

I shall continue to report the action and news from the council.

And, to those who dismiss me, I don't give a damn. There is a reason for everything.

I will continue to do what I say, so I can rest in sleep.

I wish for peace, and restful sleep. We all have a right, by law, to have it. These are troubled times, for all, and we don't need anymore stress, in our lives.

I just want to hear the church bells, and the birds sing, in the peaceful tranquility of beautiful Charlbury. I just want peace.

I prey to the Lord to help me.

Amen

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sat 21 Jan 2012, 17:15

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2089218/Lack-sleep-fatal-Scientists-uncover-86-disorders-linked-lack-shut-eye.html

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍

Sat 21 Jan 2012, 17:13

Charlotte,

On a couple of occasions this week I stuck my head out of the window (in Ticknell Piece) facing southward in the wee hours and I could hear nothing that resembled a hum, but you might take some comfort in knowing that the anomalous hum phenomenon is not uncommon. Unfortunately the cause or causes remain elusive.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sat 21 Jan 2012, 17:05

Note no 5 on this agenda

5. Installation of air source heat pump at 16 Jefferson's Piece

www.charlburytowncouncil.co.uk/images/committee/TC%20Mar%202011%20Mins.pdf

Many thanks Kate and all the ladies, who have supported me

I look forward to this noise pollution issue being resolved.

Many thanks

Charlotte

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sat 21 Jan 2012, 13:08

Kat, thank you so much. You're an angel for confirming this. I rang the council at 2.45am, this morning, as I could not sleep once again, knowing that the phone calls are recorded. I will go the press and the courts, if my life continues to be ruined. I will not cease, until I can rest. I will find out the cause.

Kat Patrick
👍

Fri 20 Jan 2012, 19:46

Dear Charlotte--

(sorry this is a long post: I hope you will ALL read it, to the very end; I think it could prove very interesting)

I'm another person who hears this low humming. I've heard it for certain since July 2010, though it may have been happening before then.

Long post - click to read full text

Charlotte Penn
👍

Wed 18 Jan 2012, 15:01

If you don't like Bjork, listen to my favourite version by the glamorous Betty Hutton (1951)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmlNOaVGrRM&feature=related

Oh I do love black and white films, with everyone looking more glammed up and stunning; proper old fashioned music, with proper singing

or maybe this is more Charlbury pub version, some folks may prefer?

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=wNNKYlXV9XQ

Jon Carpenter, do you have a cd with this song by Betty Hutton, in your shop? Would love to buy some more of Bettie's songs! I can then play them all the time, deafening the continuous noises, while I blow another fuse!

'Sssshhhhh, don't ring that bell!', I sing……Peace.

Over to you Roger. Roger Clarke

Over and Out and best of British

Charlotte Penn
👍

Wed 18 Jan 2012, 14:04

'Oh, it's so quiet, and so peaceful', to quote Bjork

www.youtube.com/watch?v=htobTBlCvUU

arhhhh!

Charlotte Penn
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 19:13

Just to keep you all posted, I have made progress with the council and the police throughout today, regarding noise pollution and speeding. There are many issues here, and the council and police are being amazingly helpful.

Neil Shellard WODC, will be coming out late at night, in Charlbury to…

Long post - click to read full text

Mike Williams
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 14:46

I live towards the Hydac end of town and have heard a low hum day and night for several years. Does your noise pulse slightly? I heard it even during a local power cut, so not the neighbour or fridges etc.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:11

My thoughts are that the noise is from HYDAC. Any thoughts here - anyone? Everyone's very quiet here on this subject.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Tue 17 Jan 2012, 08:11

Many thanks Harriet for your suggestion. No, I don't believe that it is the flight path. I too used to live under Heathrow's flight path and work next door to Heathrow airport. It's not the same noise.

One other suggestion, from a lovely lady, was that it could be Hydac? They have moved to Witney, but it still could be possible, as there have been lights on there through the night? This kind lady is going to keep her ears and eyes on Hydac, for us.

Neil, WODC, is coming around at 3pm this afternoon, so please do keep your suggestions coming. It's really important and very much appreciated.

Thanks Richard, what's caching, and where would I find this refresh button? I'm not totally IT trained.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 16 Jan 2012, 23:26

If one is visible on the homepage but not the forum, it's possibly a caching issue with your computer. Try pressing the refresh button.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 16 Jan 2012, 22:57

I have had two interesting conversations concerning this issue, this evening. Very helpful lovely ladies.

I would so love some more support here.

Also, there is a forum posting issue going on here. Some of mine are not appearing. I have just contacted Susie and Richard about this issue. However, one is visible on the home page, but not on the forum.

Many thanks once again in advance to those who are supporting me.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 16 Jan 2012, 18:26

Great one lovely caring woman has mailed me. She's heard it too!

Come on Charlbury folks - we need your support here.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Mon 16 Jan 2012, 18:20

BTW, just a thought here. My sister lives under the flight path for Heathrow and next to a busy main road, she sleeps with earplugs in.
You could try that.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Mon 16 Jan 2012, 18:19

Do you live in a detached house?
If not are you sure it isn't something that is in your neighbours' houses and you are hearing it through the walls?

From personal experience, it is quite possible to hear electronic equipment humming away in the next door house, not even in rooms which are right next to the dividing walls, and the quieter the night the easier it will be to hear it.

I live a lot closer than you do to that substation and I can't hear it, or the one nearer my house, or the one that was at the bottom of my parents' garden when I was a child and there was far less traffic around than there is now.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 16 Jan 2012, 15:58

The boxes are hyphens, pasted from word, by the bye!

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 16 Jan 2012, 15:56

This is seriously bad for me and others ?" fact. I cannot sleep on a quiet night. I'm becoming very ill, as a result of sleep deprivation. This is not my imagination; I have spoken to other Charlbury residents, and our council. The council environmental chap ?" Neil, is coming to meet me tomorrow afternoon, to discuss and further the investigation.

I need help from any other Charlbury folks, who have good ears, and who are helpful. This issue must be sorted, as soon as possible.

The low humming sound can be heard through the night, on windless quiet nights.

I believe that it could be Southern Electrics sub station on the Witney road?

I look forward to hearing sensible thoughts and help, on this forum.

Many thanks in advance.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.