Continual night humming noise pollution

Kat Patrick
👍

Fri 20 Jan 2012, 19:46

Dear Charlotte--

(sorry this is a long post: I hope you will ALL read it, to the very end; I think it could prove very interesting)

I'm another person who hears this low humming. I've heard it for certain since July 2010, though it may have been happening before then.

I also hear it in Kiddington and Chipping Norton and anywhere in Charlbury, especially at night when it's quiet.

I'm sorry to say that Neil closed my case about three months ago because he could make no further headway. However, the more people who complain and make him open cases, the further we may get on this.

Here's another unforunate -- people hear this sort of noise all over the world. There are different theories. The one the authorities like to put out is that you have bad hearing -- well, I've got excellent hearing (I can hear a watch ticking from across the room, but I've also had tests at the doctors that said my hearing was better than average).

Don't let them fob you off as a middle-aged woman who's going through "the change" and it's a tinnitus problem.

It isn't related to tinnitus! Totally different noise, so I understand.

If it were to be discovered that it's Hydac, I would bless the wonderful Lord in heaven for finally revealing its origin to the "powers that be" -- that is, the official people who can do something about it.

The only way I'm coping with it now -- since Neil cut me off and stopped investigating -- is running a little humidifier next to my bed that gurgles a bit louder than The Hum, so I don't notice it so much.

No telling, however, what this low-frequency-noise pollution is actually doing to everyone, even those who don't obviously hear it. (I have had up to six people confirm they've heard it in my house, but usually, it has to be very quiet -- rare in my house with 4 kids -- and they have to be trained to know that it's The Hum and not my fish tank, or the refrigerator, or the boiler, or any other number of things it can be, except that I know they're different because The Hum continues even if all power is switched off, and these other things don't).

Sorry this was long. Go for it, Charlotte!

PS I also wondered, given the time-frame when I started hearing it, if there weren't some kind of low-frequency thing-y emitting from David Cameron's house since he's been made Prime Minister: a jamming device, a communicating device. I know people have complained in Dean about it, had the council investigate, went as far as to PAY for a transformer to be moved, are STILL hearing the noise, but the council has thrown up its hands and said they can't help them, either. Their equipment isn't appropriate for measuring the noise, and since they can't hear it, they reckon it's just something we have to learn to live with. Honestly, that's the Government's official policy of people suffering from Low Frequency "sensitivity".

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.