👍

Fri 2 Jan 2009, 00:29

Point taken.
Apologies for losing my temper.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 1 Jan 2009, 10:05

Please, please can we make a New Year's Resolution to let this one lie?

I think we all know each other's position on this: it really isn't serving any purpose to go over the same old ground. The Wikipedia talk page for the article is at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Charlbury should anyone wish to continue the debate about that in particular. Though there could be an interesting debate to be had over in the Grease Pit about the reliability or otherwise of Wikipedia!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 1 Jan 2009, 07:03

Perhaps I should start a new topic for the Charlbury Witchfinders Association?
You defensive, gas-gazzling, motor-heads are pathetic.

Get a life, get a bike!

Chldren.

Ian Hunney
👍

Wed 31 Dec 2008, 13:50

I am really amazed on this forum .Here we have a person who takes no criticism for anything he does wrong ,then has the temerity to wish us all well at christmas, and finally comes up with his latest comment that just appears to thumb his nose at us all who drive .Then wonders why people do not care for his ways.I think the rest of this year may be well spent seeing if he can find some solace in his heart before the onset of the new year or it will be a long hard year ahead.
Heres hoping he can have a happy new year.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 31 Dec 2008, 13:22

And for my next fiendish plan, I'm going to raise all the local rates.

I suppose I should be flattered at the amazing powers attributed to me by the posters on this thread, but sadly I am a mere mortal cyclist who's fed up with the way people drive in Charlbury.

I'm also amazed at the lengths some people go to sustain their denial; I'm afraid I'm not responsible for Charlbury's reputation either, you'll need to look closer to home for that cause.

Oh and everyone have a real Happy New Year, too.

Dave Oates
👍

Tue 30 Dec 2008, 23:50

It seems from Terry's experience that it has certainly been an influencing factor!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 30 Dec 2008, 21:33

So lets get this straight then: Igor is responsible for our insurance premiums going up. Oui?

Terry Walker
👍

Tue 30 Dec 2008, 16:01

Because of this personal traffic/speeding crusade, I suspect the Charlbury post code OX7 for car insurance purposes has been regraded. I recently received my 2009 policies showing 12% and 15% increases, when I asked my ins company to justify those proposed increases the reply was that OX7 has been revised due to present day traffic circumstances. Needless to say, I didn't accept their quote negotiating cost of living increases only = 2.5% and 3.5% respectively. So beware next time your policies are due. Charlbury is fast becoming a town with a bad reputation as far as traffic is concerned.

Grahame Ockleston
👍

Tue 30 Dec 2008, 11:22

You are, of course, correct, David.

I just thought that I'd put in my two pennyworth.

I do find it sad, however, that someone is undermining the town's reputation over what has become a bit of a personal crusade [ can I say that in these pc times ?? ]

Maybe it would be better to engage with local polititians, who at least have the ear of local government officers, who after all would be responsible for any actions and or expenditure.

David McCutcheon
👍

Tue 30 Dec 2008, 08:38

Chris - if you are questioning who edited the Wikipedia entry (on 29th of November 2008) then you can check the IP address.
Graham - I'm not disputing that there is a problem here - only pointing out that the mention of it in Wikipedia is inappropriate.

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 29 Dec 2008, 17:52

The wikipedia article also states that "Increasingly people are moving to Charlbury to work from home, increasing commercial and social activity within the town."

What is the evidence for this? Does anyone know? I would have thought that the increased number of retired people living in the town would have reduced any such effect.

I know that one is supposed to talk through proposed revisions on the Wikipedia talk pages, but I thought I would ask here first.

Chris Bates
👍

Mon 29 Dec 2008, 11:43

One is usually innocent until *proven* guilty of something. It seems that some here might need reminding of this.

Hamish Nichol
👍

Mon 29 Dec 2008, 11:21

I am truly disgusted that a supposed Charlburian would post such a thing on a wikipedia site. Speeding is a problem on almost every road in every town throughout the land, but I see no reason why such sad bitter rambling should be advertised to all e-visitors to our beautiful town.

Grahame Ockleston
👍

Mon 29 Dec 2008, 10:42

I entirely agree with David Oates.

David McCutchoen states that in a survey 50% of motorists were exceeding the speed limit.

In another survey speeding was highlighted as the issue of most concern, well above anti social behaviour and parking [ why do we bother with double yellow lines in Charlbury? ]

Am I wrong? but it seems to me that the various comments, under several headings, on this site seem to suggest that nothing is being done to address the problem.

More depressing is that of the 50% offending, the majority were local residents !!

Various actions have taken place in and around Charlbury at the instigation of the Chipping Norton Neighbourhood Actio Group and Thames Vally police.

There are leaflets available in the Charlbury police office [ FOC ] with more details and web addresses.

Dave Oates
👍

Sun 28 Dec 2008, 23:10

Thanks for this Dave. It seems Igor's traffic campaign has taken a new turn! I don't recall anyone being against a permanent crossing outside the school though.

I think your survey is excellant. My responses would be as follows:

No, no, no, agreed!!

David McCutcheon
👍

Sun 28 Dec 2008, 22:38

While I was idly surfing around today I happenened upon the Wikipedia entry for Charlbury.

Under the heading "Town Facilities" were 4 paragraphs. One each on facilities (shops, etc.), one on accommodation, one on the museum and one which read:

"There has also been a marked increase in residents exceeding…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.