Charlbury on Wikipedia

David McCutcheon
👍

Sun 28 Dec 2008, 22:38

While I was idly surfing around today I happenened upon the Wikipedia entry for Charlbury.

Under the heading "Town Facilities" were 4 paragraphs. One each on facilities (shops, etc.), one on accommodation, one on the museum and one which read:

"There has also been a marked increase in residents exceeding the local speed limits. A recent police speed net clocked over 50% of motorists traveling down a main road were exceeding the speed limit, some by as much as 10mph. In spite of the frequency of dangerous driving in Charlbury, local residents are largely resistent to the imposition of traffic calming measures and have even taken objection to the installation of a permanent school crossing in front of the towns only primary school."

I can't imagine who may have added this information. I expect it may be someone I usually have a lot of time for, whose opinions I value and contributes regularly to this forum. Someone who highlights a pressing local problem, hopefully resulting in a moderation of our behaviour. He might ride a bike.

But there's a time and and a place.

So I devised a quick survey. Taken for and by myself.

Is 50% of motorists exceeding the speed limit in a town remarkable? Probably not.

Is exceeding the speed limit in a town by as much as 10mph notable? I think not. Unfortunately, this is commonplace.

Is Charlbury's Wikipedia entry (second only to www.charlbury.info as a portal to information about our town) the place for what are (frankly) objective opinions? Again no.

I think that the remark "local residents are largely resistent to the imposition of traffic calming measures" is without foundation, for instance, and is the sort of comment that would usually warrant a citation. I suspect there is none.

So I've taken the liberty of editing this paragrapph to read:
"An informative [[website]] keeps residents informed on local news and events. The site includes a forum where lively debates are held, particularly on local traffic issues."

If any Wikipedia savvy Charburian (?) can improve on this edit, feel free to do so.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.