Extinction (or) Rebellion

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Sun 4 Aug 2019, 20:59

Personally, I'm into making a homebrew using Edison batteries (NiFe, nickel iron, indestructable and non toxic~). Maybe Southill Solar could think about flow battery storage and selling peak time to the grid... https://redflow.com/

Stephen Andrews
👍 1

Sun 4 Aug 2019, 20:05 (last edited on Sun 4 Aug 2019, 20:10)

Solar/battery bling, I am afraid. Do the maths, unless you have enough spare cash to buy a Tesla battery (£5.4k) and have previously oversized your solar panels (new ones no longer any feed in tariff) and have a Tesla car which you use every day. Even less sense if you have access to off-peak electricity. Still if it stops you flying maybe worth while.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 4 Aug 2019, 19:17

Want to have a battery for your solar panels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWLzlrGGuxQ

Useful youtube channel with kit reviews.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 4 Aug 2019, 19:11

Immediately linked to that vidclip was one showing that one of the very, very few bills to get through Parliament just recently amidst Brexit hysteria is a Tory MP promoted INCREASE IN VAT FROM 5% TO 20% FOR SOLAR POWER AND BATTERIES. Need one say more?

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Sun 4 Aug 2019, 14:51

Agree.

Thanks Jon, a great video.

Laura Macy
👍 2

Sun 4 Aug 2019, 13:58

Wow! what a great video Jon! I recommend it to everyone interested in this thread. 

They talk about a home energy experiment in the US, but here in the UK they're already offering these home metres for gas and electric. I know there have been issues with these, and I don't want to start off a torrent of moans about these. But I have one and it has helped me cut back on my energy use just by showing me what I'm using each day and how things change when I do something different. And I suspect the video is right that if I was being compared to others and gold stars were being handed out my competetive streak would make me do even more! 

Anyway, good video!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 2

Sun 4 Aug 2019, 08:39

When we think about tackling the climate emergency, we might do well to think about the issues raised in this video. The problem isn't the science. The science is there. The problem is our (human) psychology. 

https://youtu.be/DkZ7BJQupVA

Mark Luntley
👍

Fri 14 Jun 2019, 15:29

Just to add - Suscha and the speaker Mary Livingstone - are really keen that the evening meeting is as much a discussion rather than a straightforward "talk".

So if there are issue you'd like to hear about, or specific concerns and questions about what might a zero carbon Charlbury look like, please do let us know and we will try to build them into the evening event.

Liz Reason
👍 1

Thu 13 Jun 2019, 20:20

Note that Sustainable Charlbury has organised a meeting in the back room of The Bell - see Events

Tue 2 Jul: SuschGreen Drinks talk - what might a Zero Carbon Charlbury look like?
Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 13 Jun 2019, 00:02 (last edited on Thu 13 Jun 2019, 00:05)

There's also a meeting in Chippy on Wednesday June 19. Details as follows, from the website at https://transitionchippingnorton.org/2019/05/30/should-chipping-norton-declare-a-climate-and-ecology-emergency/

----------

Should Chipping Norton declare a Climate and Ecology Emergency?

There’s a town meeting on this; 7:30pm Wednesday 19th June, in the Methodist lower hall.

With recent ‘climactic’ events in parliament, media and public, many things previously unthinkable, now suddenly seem achievable! Change in our emissions, environment and communities is now urgent, but our concern and ambition have also dramatically increased. Who would have dreamed a few weeks ago that all parliament would declare a climate emergency, and a global science panel (IPBES) announce that species loss seriously threatens our future?

The town meeting will discuss these points:

Should Chipping Norton declare a climate and ecological emergency?

What actions can we take locally, as ‘our part’ in UK’s response?

Should Chippy hold a citizens assembly, to devise measures that work for all?

Can we come together on a timely local strategy for this?

There’ll be a short address from Oxford climate modelling expert Karsten Haustein, a platform for some local youngsters to express concerns and wishes for their future, a Q&A and brief group discussions to review our thoughts and feelings. Come and share your ideas and views!

If any queries, email TransitionChippingNorton@gmail.com.

Dan Raymond-Barker
👍 1

Wed 12 Jun 2019, 10:12 (last edited on Wed 12 Jun 2019, 14:45)

Interesting local event on this subject: How to Avoid Climate Breakdown,
Thursday 13 June, 6.30pm, Cowley Road, Oxford. Run by New Internationalist.

A panel discussion - not about pipedream techno-fixes but the real far-reaching shifts we need to - and still can make. Genuine, transformative solutions to climate breakdown, with:

Andrew Simms - Co-ordinator of the Rapid Transition Alliance

Emma EJ Fawcett - Climate Striker

Kingsmill Bond - New Energy Strategist at Carbon Tracker

Chaired by New Internationalist co-editor Hazel Healy.

6:30 - 8:00 Introduction, panel discussion & audience Q&A

8:00 - 9:00 Networking space and refreshments

It's free but you need to book:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-to-avoid-climate-breakdown-oxford-tickets-62567917325

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 3

Mon 3 Jun 2019, 09:27

Without government action, individual efforts will achieve very little.

Duncan Forbes
👍 5

Sun 2 Jun 2019, 19:02

Thanks, John, for your report on Wednesday's meeting - and to Jon for initiating it.

As one of those who recently went to see our Robert Courts I would like to say that we were received courteously, and listened to carefully. Yes, we did disagree on some fundamental approaches, but not on the facts of the climate emergency. RC has added his name to an open letter to the Prime Minister, drafted by the Climate Coalition, calling on the government to adopt an earlier target than 2050 for reaching net carbon neutrality. 

My own view is that the world needs desperately both applied technology and a fundamental change in our behaviours if we are to mitigate the worst of climate change. 

JOHN CHETTLEBOROUGH
👍 1

Sun 2 Jun 2019, 08:51 (last edited on Mon 3 Jun 2019, 08:05)

In response to Jon’s call for a meeting 18 people met at Friends Meeting House on Thursday. The discussion started off exploring people’s concerns about climate change and the lack of meaningful action by the UK Government. Recent meetings that some of the attendees have had with Robert Courts have…

Long post - click to read full text

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sun 2 Jun 2019, 08:37 (last edited on Sun 2 Jun 2019, 15:26)

There's an event coming up in Chipping Norton that reflects many of the concerns and ideas of those of us at the meeting (report on the Charlbury meeting coming soon!). Lift(s) available.

==========

Should Chipping Norton declare a climate and ecology emergency?

There’s a town meeting on this; 7:30pm Wednesday19th June, in the Methodist lower hall. The meeting will discuss these points:

• Should Chipping Norton declare a climate and ecological emergency?
  • What actions can we take locally, as ‘our part’ in UK’s response?
  • Should Chippy hold a citizens assembly, to devise measures that work for all?
  • Can we come together on a timely local strategy for this?

There’ll be a short address from Karsten Haustein (a climate modelling expert from Oxford), a platform for some local youngsters to tell us their concerns and wishes for their future, a Q&A and brief group discussions to review our thoughts and feelings. 

Come and share your ideas and views and please tell all your friends! If any queries, email TransitionChippingNorton@gmail.com 

Note that this meeting replaces our usual Chippy Green Drinks for June, and at the Town Meeting we’ll be open to suggestions for the format of future gatherings.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 4

Mon 13 May 2019, 17:56 (last edited on Mon 13 May 2019, 17:59)

The Climate Emergency has risen up the national agenda very rapidly. That’s partly because of the steady flow of research findings, including the UN’s IPCC report last autumn, but especially because of the actions of the group Extinction Rebellion (XR) who put forward three simple demands and are getting very…

Long post - click to read full text

Liz Reason
👍 8

Tue 30 Apr 2019, 21:29

I was at the first event.  The public response was surprisingly positive.  Several police said that they agreed with the message, and indeed the action.  A friend travelled in a black maria where the police and arrestees discussed sustainable housing, including a police officer's deep refurbishment. It turned into a mini-workshop! I was canvassing in Kidlington on Sunday.  A most unlikely looking resident (my personal prejudices at work here of course) came up to me to say that "we have to start listening to you."  Public opinion is catching up with the seriousness of climate change.  I think we have XR to thank for getting it on the media agenda.  Rallies in Hyde Park wouldn't have achieved that.

Jenny Chambers
👍 5

Mon 29 Apr 2019, 11:15 (last edited on Mon 29 Apr 2019, 13:24)

This piece might carry weight with some of the more conservative-

http://www.cityam.com/276746/business-can-help-britain-lead-green-race-better-future

Hannen Beith
👍 3

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 14:14

Agree with Andrew and Katie.

Time is running out - very quickly.

Andrew Chapman
👍 8

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 10:51

Completely agree with Katie. Our future is down to how we mitigate inconvenience (using the word in the Al Gore sense). Climate change promises ever-greater amounts of inconvenience, discomfort and challenge. If putting up with some relatively mild inconvenience now helps to motivate a species poor at long-term thinking into working together to prevent far greater inconveniences in future - bring it on. (Though I fear it won't.)

Katie Ewer
👍 9

Sat 27 Apr 2019, 19:38

Tony, this is absolutely the point though. As long as big businesses and commuters are able to continue as they always have done, they will continue to do things that accelerate climage change rather than being forced to change their behaviour and reduce carbon emissions. The status quo cannot continue.

Rachel Jones
👍 6

Sat 27 Apr 2019, 07:40

Hi Jon, Thanks for raising this. I've been really impressed by the level of awareness raised on the issue by the recent peaceful protests and would be keen to know and do more locally! 

Tony Morgan
👍 6

Fri 26 Apr 2019, 12:30

Katie I totally agree with peaceful protest about climate change, maybe a mass rally in Hyde Park with speakers from across the political, business & charity sectors

What I don't agree with is preventing ordinary people getting to work, diverting police time and losing businesses £12m.

Apart from anything people who are not committed to the cause might well be alienated by this approach rather then motivated to support it 

Katie Ewer
👍 10

Fri 26 Apr 2019, 09:36

Tony, I don't think either of your comments justify limiting people's right to peaceful protest on an issue as important as climate change. There will be much bigger consequences than people being late for work if climate change is not addressed urgently. I have been incredibly impressed by the attention this has generated at a time when we have consumed as a nation by a single subject for the best part of 3 years!

Tony Morgan
👍 1

Thu 25 Apr 2019, 22:19

And the diversion of police resources

Jenny Chambers
👍 8

Thu 25 Apr 2019, 16:37

Thanks for raising this Jon. Yes, I've been impressed with the level of planning, organisation and intelligence of the Extinction Rebellion actions. 

I'll use the links you've provided to learn more. 

Tony Morgan
👍 3

Thu 25 Apr 2019, 14:43

Not so good for working people who lost wages for being late!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 6

Thu 25 Apr 2019, 09:57

Did you go to any of the Extinction Rebellion actions in London or Oxford? Or have you been impressed or moved by the issues raised and/or how the campaigns were conducted?

Would you like to link with other people from Charlbury and around, with a view to making more people aware of the emergency and how we can respond, both as individuals and as a country?

If so, please email me at jon@phonecoop.coop (or click my name to the left) and tell me what you think and what action might be appropriate.

Are you new to all this? There was a talk/discussion in London last week organised by the Guardian, with Greta Thunberg, Caroline Lucas and others. It can be seen at https://youtu.be/ZyY8yarwI5g and is a useful starting point for anyone who wants to understand more. (The historical and theoretical background to XR is explained by Roger Hallam in a video at https://youtu.be/8c2f_JmzoWU).

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.