European interference or a Timely intervention?

Gary McAlea
👍

Sun 24 Jun 2007, 22:04

Hate to be a spoil sport but in aviation we already use a decimal time system for recording the hours flown on aircraft.

ivan krechov
👍

Thu 24 May 2007, 19:51

thank you derek still learning at my age.

Derek Collett
👍

Tue 22 May 2007, 23:42

Point of view.

ivan krechov
👍

Tue 22 May 2007, 19:16

igor what is a pov idont know because i am fik.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 21 May 2007, 05:18

At least it shows that some people are willing to carry on a discussion that goes beyond the increasing value of their stone cottage in Charlbury. Even if some of the POV's have travelled in time from the 17th century, right Ivan?

Julie Negus
👍

Fri 11 May 2007, 07:42

There you go 100 it is.......over to you Richard.
R.I.P.European interference or a Timely intervention?

graham W
👍

Thu 10 May 2007, 22:38

Surely we can make this upto 100 postings, the longest yet and all from an April Fool's prank, after that - Richard to close as its gone off track. Anyway must go its 10.5 (half past ten old money) way past my bed time

ivan krechov
👍

Thu 10 May 2007, 18:20

yes igor is still feeding on this site .

Neil MacAlpine
👍

Tue 8 May 2007, 10:57

Igor, you old dog! Are you still posting here? Don't you have work to do now?
I hope it is going well.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sun 6 May 2007, 09:49

Trolls still feeding here, I see.

graham W
👍

Fri 27 Apr 2007, 15:12

As the joke states, It's not big and it's not clever.

Don Kelly
👍

Fri 27 Apr 2007, 11:23

You only wanted the time !!!! That's rich, Nobody even enquired about what Erik Estrada said to Dame Peggy about the influx and adverse affect of migrant dwarf prostitutes on the Dover economy !

graham W
👍

Fri 27 Apr 2007, 10:38

I only wanted the time!?

mandy
👍

Thu 26 Apr 2007, 17:17

ok fair enough that makes me mad to .now im going to upset someone im sure a bit like the royal family (not all of them) and mps.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 26 Apr 2007, 16:21

Well, I see your point but I also see some people born and bred in Britain who don't appear to need to work for a living and expect everything handed to them.

In fact the ONLY people I've ever met in this country actually living off of benefits have been native born. All the immigrants I've ever met here have always worked for a living.

And let's not forget those natives actually born with silver platters in their mouths who never seem to pay any tax at all!

mandy
👍

Thu 26 Apr 2007, 14:49

yes i've not got a problem with people that are born in this country it's people that come over here just to get what they can out of the country my feeling is you only get what you work for life is handed to you on a sliver platter.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 26 Apr 2007, 13:23

Thank you.

So we can agree that the children of immigrants, born in this country are 100% British and are entitled to everything that entails, regardless of their religion, the language they speak at home or the food they eat.

Including access to health care and housing benefits if they need them on equal par with anyone else.

I have no problem with that position. I just wish more people saw it the same way.

mandy
👍

Thu 26 Apr 2007, 09:44

if you we're born in this country then you are british what religon you belive in is your choice.but what is that to do with benefit fraud.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 26 Apr 2007, 08:55

If I was born in Chipping Norton of Pakistani parents and was a practicing Muslim, would you consider me to be 100% British as well?

mandy
👍

Wed 25 Apr 2007, 21:56

meaning

Birgit den Outer
👍

Wed 25 Apr 2007, 21:18

Birgit (Scandinavian origins remember)says you, as probably half the country, may be part viking! By the way, trust you read all about the Charlbury benefit fraudster in yesterday's news posting on this site.

mandy
👍

Wed 25 Apr 2007, 16:18

i was born in chipping norton and as brigdet said that know one could be 100% english i changed it to british.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 25 Apr 2007, 15:46

Yes.
But then we all would prefer good directions to bad ones, wouldn't we?

I mean, if we're trying to get somewhere.

For example, I think you referred to yourself as 100% English and then something else as 100% British.

Is that possible?

Do you mean that as a state of mind or just that you were born here?

mandy
👍

Wed 25 Apr 2007, 14:41

ok thankyou igor it would be boring if we all agreed would'nt it.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 25 Apr 2007, 14:23

Birgit, you're not fat.

Mandy, I wasn't calling you a Troll, none of the your comments were needlessly provocative or a waste of time; I just disagreed with some of them.

I was calling the troll a Troll.

mandy
👍

Wed 25 Apr 2007, 09:29

ok i make that 100% british then.

ivan krechov
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 19:24

cant beat a bit of rape and pillage

Birgit den Outer
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 19:16

Think Igor was calling Ivan a troll, not you, Mandy. Think I fit Ivan's description of a troll perfectly though: short, foreign with Scandinavian origin, although would reject 'fat'. Probably have more in common with you than not: very few English people are 100% English what with you being an island and all that and vikings invading you left, right and centre for many, many years.

mandy
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 18:39

i'm safe then am i i'm not short or fat and 100% english.

ivan krechov
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 18:34

a troll normally short fat and foreign to this country. origins normally scandinavia but the odd one from canada.

mandy
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 17:51

thankyou so as i can see you are calling me a troll i was right you do all stick together

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 09:46

'Experienced participants in online forums know that the most effective way to discourage a troll is usually to ignore him or her, because responding encourages a true troll to continue disruptive posts — hence the often-seen warning "Please do not feed the troll".'

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 24 Apr 2007, 09:42

Sorry Mandy, I should have defined my terms:

From Wikipedia:

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who intentionally posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics in an established online community such as an online discussion forum to bait users into responding.

Trolls can be existing members of a community that rarely post and often contribute no useful information to the thread, but instead make argumentative posts in an attempt to discredit another person, concentrating almost exclusively on facts irrelevant to the point of the conversation, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others. The key element under attack by a troll is the forum or group's recognized and agreed upon power structure.

A troll is a person who approaches a board with the specific intention of stirring things up, either with no particular motive or provocation in mind, other than to be purely destructive or if the motive or provocation is against the ethos of the board.

mandy
👍

Mon 23 Apr 2007, 23:39

and i thourght i was talking rubbish where is this going im lost.

graham W
👍

Mon 23 Apr 2007, 18:59

The best lines in Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band's Intro & Outro is
"Count Basie and his orchestra on Triangle" and the Incredible Shrinking man on the Euphonium.
Sad but excellent

Dave Gamble
👍

Mon 23 Apr 2007, 14:28

In the words of The Bonzo Dog Band,
THIS IS BOREDOM YOU CAN AFFORD BY CYRIL LORD.
Yaaaawn.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 23 Apr 2007, 13:29

In the sage words of Tim O'Reilly:

Don't feed the Trolls!

graham W
👍

Fri 20 Apr 2007, 21:22

Has anyone the correct time?

ivan krechov
👍

Wed 18 Apr 2007, 19:53

igor grow up and look around you. cant you see that these people are looking for a free ride.so they can take their money back to their familys abroad and and get free health care all the benefits that this country gives. the french are building a new camp at calais so they can enter this country illegaly. that is why i am an illegal imigrant because so many people in charlbury want to kill me because my views are different to theirs. by the way igor i a am a racist and a bigot and a member of the ku klux klan. but this is a free country i do not preach my religon to you so why preach your beiiefs to every one else. live and let live.

mandy
👍

Mon 16 Apr 2007, 16:26

ok i think its about time we agree to diagree im not rasiet in any way and i probeley read the wrong papers.i dont blame any one else for my way way in life i'll just have to get on with and keep quit.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 16 Apr 2007, 10:00

Look Mandy, I don't hold anything against you and I don't believe you're necessarily as anti-immigrant or anti-asylum seeker as some of your comments might lead one to believe.

I just think that the 'information' you say you're contributing is misinformed and the newspapers you claim runs stories to back up these false assumptions are contributing to a growing atmosphere of hate and suspicion which helps no one.

You're not the first or the last to express anti-immigrant views on this forum or in Charlbury, for that matter.

But I do feel that those misguided views need to be challenged by the facts each and every time they arise.

I read in the press (yes, The Guardian, but also The Telegraph, The Independent, the BBC and Google News), that reasons for student suspension for racial abuse from both primary(!) and secondary schools nationwide has risen by more than a third from last year in the UK.

Then I look at the rising statistics on hate crimes directed at immigrants and asylum seekers in this country and I do think it's worth taking seriously some of the offhand and thoughtless remarks I sometimes hear in my own backyard.

mandy
👍

Mon 16 Apr 2007, 09:18

sorry for the info that i put on here i thourght that was what this was for.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 16 Apr 2007, 09:06

Helen:

How did the last post make it from the first post?
Very easily, in between some posters decided to contribute some derisory remarks about immigrants which I challenged for the ignorant bigotry those types of comments reflect.

Since then we've had a complete blurring of definitions by a seperate sub-thread on Mandy's husbands experiences working at an asylum seeker facility, her difficulties in attaining low income housing from a completely distinct housing organisation and sundry assertions about immigrants being mainly freeloaders living on free benefits who Mandy blames for not getting her housing when he thought she should have.

Oh, and Mandy also works very hard.

That, sprinkled with some incoherencies about Guardian readers and eco-do-gooderstakes us up to the present post which I would say is a pretty fair cross section of the kinds of conversations I overhear in Charlbury.

Unfortunately.

john h
👍

Sun 15 Apr 2007, 21:05

Ps. Mandy just remember it will all come to those who wait(it may be many years but it will!)I am not preaching but have been there.

john h
👍

Sun 15 Apr 2007, 21:02

Mandy
you say you are happily married ,in work ,and two children, chill out girl, your wealth is in you health and family!!! i am sure Ivan would aggree.

mandy
👍

Sun 15 Apr 2007, 16:09

thankyou ivan it is hard but we're get there in the end thank god ive got good parents. but i dont live of benefits the only money we have is from my husbands wages i would love to be able to study but cant afford to as the corse i wish to do is over 500 pounds so its back to the dead end jobs and line everyone elses pockets.

graham W
👍

Sun 15 Apr 2007, 16:05

Horray Helen, it was an April Fools joke that has been hijacked. Aren't we glad that we live in free country where we can say what we like and not get arrested

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Sun 15 Apr 2007, 15:09

Not having visited the forum for a while, I thought I would catch up on the latest posts. I started at the top and worked my way back. We have had some extraordinary threads on the forum over time, but this one just about takes the biscuit. I am truly baffled as to how the last post made it from the first post - losing sense of humour, tolerance and understanding on the way. Hope it now dies a natural death.

EmTaig
👍

Sun 15 Apr 2007, 14:46

Ivan, my husband and I lived on benefits with two children whilst we put ourselves through University. We lived with virtually no money for years and came out with huge student loans we are still paying off. It's only now, about five years after we finished studying, that we are able to entertain buying a house. I don't read the Guardian either!

ivan krechov
👍

Sun 15 Apr 2007, 14:31

hi mandy having a hard time with the liberal eco friendly do gooders never mind they have all had it handed to them on a plate.unlike normal working class who cannot afford to buy a house.they have never had to live on the bread line or wonder how they are going to pay the next bill. you can not make some body understand who is not in your position because they think it only happens in the third world.if they had to live on minimum wage they would not post so much crap.good luck hope you get a house soon.

Don Kelly
👍

Sun 15 Apr 2007, 08:31

It is coming back to me now, Erik Estrada was discussing the benefits of a strong anti immigrant policy on the Californian highways and it was at this point that Dame Peggy piped up with the fact that whilst backstage at the Old Vic an Asian looking man arrived with some very smelly food.

graham W
👍

Sat 14 Apr 2007, 22:17

I know, it was Igor says that you may read it though

mandy
👍

Sat 14 Apr 2007, 21:47

i didnt say that i read the express i said the oxford mail.keepmit local.

graham W
👍

Sat 14 Apr 2007, 21:15

Mandy I'm not getting at you but at someone who says that you read the Express, and the Oxford Mail is brill, forgot to add that to my list along with the Beano, and like I said perhaps Igor reads the Guardian where everything is just tickety bo along with spelling mistakes!

mandy
👍

Sat 14 Apr 2007, 21:08

i have not blamed anyone for my houseing problems noe you can read into what you thinkand the paper i read is the oxford mail.now you cant say that is not ture.and i wont be getting rid of my husband as im happy to be married with 2 lovley children.

graham W
👍

Sat 14 Apr 2007, 08:41

And if she reads the Guardian, then the world is all happy, no pollution, poverty and His Tonyness is reigning supreme!, All newspapers be Con, Lab, Lib etc so you read into what you like. Me, well its the Motorcyle News and the Commercial Vehicle at least the news is factional!

mandy
👍

Sat 14 Apr 2007, 08:36

now we're on something different here.why should i get rid of my husband who for 18 years served his country it seems the hard working honest persons gets know where in life just because we do things the right why.

Julie Negus
👍

Sat 14 Apr 2007, 08:18

Mandy, you need to get rid if your husband!!!!
(Assuming you have children already)
Have you considered having another couple......with another partner.
Then you' d get your house.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sat 14 Apr 2007, 06:43

Mandy, you're reading the wrong newspapers.

In fact you maybe basing your mis assumptions on the newspapers owned by another immigrant Rupert Murdoch, who has made a fortune pandering to xenophobia. Although I wager I'd find the Daily Express on your coffee table.

The fact is that this country has a proud immigrant history dating back hundreds of years of millions and millions of immigrants bringing their labour, traditions and innovations to this nation.

You wouldn't recognize a Britain that had no immigrant history.

Why it should make any difference to you that that you claim you're denied a house because of an immigrant as opposed to anyone else is worrisome. What difference does it make who cuts in front of you in the queue, if indeed queue cutting is what's occurring.

I think your beef is with the local authorities who allocate housing, rather than the people who get the housing allocated to them.

Perhaps its to someone's advantage to have you blaming immigrants for your housing situation instead of the people who can actually make a difference, do you think?

mandy
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 22:46

my husband also pays taxs and works 56 hours a week i have been on the waiting list for 3 years.and always paid my way i dont want something for nothing.if people are going to work for what they have then fair enough. i seemed to have upset a few people i dont mean to it just upsets me that when me and my family have worked all are lives and certain people come to are country and get it all for them you just have to read the papers to see whats going on.

graham W
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 22:02

I've been away since I started this, its getting quite good eh!

ivan krechov
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 19:21

mandy make sure you get a house before the canadian immigrants get them all.

EmTaig
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 18:30

In fact it is a condition of entry 'to the UK for non-EU immigrants that they don't have recourse to any sort of public funds - housing, benefits or otherwise.

EmTaig
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 16:32

My husband is an immigrant Mandy and I can tell you he pays a small fortune in taxes which will over the next few years pay for that house you are waiting for!

mandy
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 16:25

yes

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 14:34

Mandy, so that's the fault of immigrants ?!?

mandy
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 13:14

i thourght everyone new that i know the ins and outs of how the houseing works as i am wating list but yet to be offerd one.

Don Kelly
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 11:33

This whole debates reminds me of a very interesting story about immigration I once heard whilst sharing a train carriage with Brian Sewell, Erik Estrada and Dame Peggy Ashcroft. But for the life of me I can not remember the ending so I won't bore you with the details.

Geoff Belcher
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 10:43

From Madley Park site refers to cheap affordable housing

Type Sovereign Housing Group has housed more than 100 individuals, couples and families in affordable homes, since teaming up with West Oxfordshire District Council, and Leadbitter Construction to design and build some of the new estate three years ago. Another 41…

Long post - click to read full text

Geoff Belcher
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 10:35

Mandy where did your info come from that Madley Park houses were for imigrants, let us all into the secret!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 10:27

But my point, Mandy, is why do you associate living off of benefits exceptionally with immigrants?

There's just no evidence that immigrants receive any greater percentage of benefits that people born in this country.

And if you're talking about asylum seekers, well then let them work for their food and hospice instead of denying them that right and then complaining that they're receiving benefits when they're not permitted to work for a living.

You can't have it both ways.

mandy
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 09:46

its ok if they deserve it then finebut then alot of people think they can get a house and then do nothing just live on benefits and i wasnt talking about charlbury it was madley park in witney where these houses have been built.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 09:21

Well, thanks for the clarification.

And it makes sense to require low income or so-called 'deserving' families within any property development programme, just like we have here in Charlbury.

How could that possibly make anyone angry?

Especially when we read in the press today that key public workers (e.g. teachers, firefighters, nurses), cannot afford to find housing in 70% of UK towns (nurses, 90%)!

But why immigrants are being tarred as somehow the cause of this is somewhere beyond reason.

Geoff Belcher
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 08:55

Ivor Madley Park is at Witney,I think Mandy must mean that all new developments must have 1 in 10 houses for the council,not for illegal emigrants but for people on the housing lists or other deserving cases.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2007, 07:30

Mandy, where exactly in madly park (sic) is there a construction project building houses for illegal immigrants?

ivan krechov
👍

Thu 12 Apr 2007, 18:42

igor welcome to my world. i checked the chipping norton web site and it seems you were the only person on this site that was slagging off chipping norton school. so dont blame some body else.come the revoloution brother goldkind you will be standing against the wall with the rest of the do gooders. PS. what is a giro?

mandy
👍

Thu 12 Apr 2007, 15:10

old on here all i said that i did'nt like the fact that some not all come over to this country and get all and everything i do not like the fact that they are stoned or beaten or abused i do not agree with that and yes there are some people who are british and dont do sweet f.a.and there are some who work to make ends meet but then when yo here that madly park have built new houses for igale immigrants would that make you mad it does me.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 12 Apr 2007, 09:01

• sigh*
    Once again I find myself going over the same old ground in Charlbury on the immigrant/illegal immigrant/asylum-seeker/political refugee issue as if time had virtually come to a stop ten miles north of Oxford.

Once again, I have to remind those with their fingers in their ears that immigrants aren't…

Long post - click to read full text

EmTaig
👍

Wed 11 Apr 2007, 19:36

Oh dear, have re-read my ‘self-embarrassing reaction’, apologies for my public venting. I suspect though it provided a little light entertainment.

ivan krechov
👍

Wed 11 Apr 2007, 19:13

i only asked what is a giro? and world war three breaks out.

EmTaig
👍

Tue 10 Apr 2007, 22:11

As far as I can tell, I didn’t infer that you are in any way a xenophobe Graham, I did however take exception to your inference that ILLEGAL immigrants were akin by nature to ‘lazy b******s’ or ‘leeches’. Mandy, you will find you are actually agreeing with a statement I made earlier that of course there are a few who take advantage of the support systems in place. What I can’t agree with though is that it is acceptable to label an entire group of people, in this case illegal immigrants, when it is the few who abuse the system. We may as well say all drivers are irresponsible due to the few that speed or all tax payers are unscrupulous due to the few that practice tax avoidance.

mandy
👍

Tue 10 Apr 2007, 20:57

i agree fully with graham there are a few WHO DO NOTHING at all but then get everything they want even a new house.

graham W
👍

Tue 10 Apr 2007, 17:58

I have no problem with people that are prepared to work whatever race, creed etc. but those people WHO take advantage of others. OK here is a scenario, I'll pack up work. will you pay my mortgage, rates etc, NO may be the answer, if YES then my bank account number is 81******* sort code **/**/**.

I have worked with many immigrants (past & present) etc and found them excellent workers. But my gripe is as I said before

mandy
👍

Tue 10 Apr 2007, 17:23

my husband left when they started to supply stab proof vest.he very often got spat at hit and kicked it dons't matter where they come from they should not behave in this mannor.if we were in there country then we would have to behave to there laws so why dont they abide by ares.

EmTaig
👍

Tue 10 Apr 2007, 15:50

I don’t know much about this area as I’ve only just arrived in the country recently but my briefest of searches on Campsfield house produced articles such as this:

‘There are 200 detainees in Campsfield House. Most are political refugees fleeing danger, torture and even death from countries such as Nigeria, Algeria, Ghana, Turkey, India and Zaire. They are held without charge, without time limit, without proper reasons given, and without proper access to legal representation. Amnesty International report that these are breaches of internationally recognised human rights. The former Chief Inspector of HM Inspectorate of Prisons (Judge Stephen Tumim) and The Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims of Torture have condemned conditions at Campsfield House.’ (http://www.closecampsfield.org.uk/)

Could I also draw your attention to the following article written by a former inmate:

http://www.barbedwirebritain.org.uk/articles/2003/jan/1043616226.shtml

In all honesty how do you think you would respond to being treated like this? To me burning your passport and lobbing an item or two seems fairly measured.

PS. Mandy, my criticism is directed to a society that allows this to happen not your husband who worked there.

mandy
👍

Tue 10 Apr 2007, 15:11

my husband use to work at campsfield house and what they use to do was terrible they would burn there pass ports so they couldnt go home everything in there at to be bolted down as if it was'nt it was thrown at the people working there.i know that some of them that come over here have had a bad time in there country but then when me and my family work hard to get what we want why should they just walk into are country and get just what they want there are 2 sides to every story.

EmTaig
👍

Tue 10 Apr 2007, 14:33

Graham W, isn't a giro a payment made for impoverish people who mostly, of course there are exceptions, have genuine reasons as to why they can’t support themselves? I understand that on benefits it is very difficult to live and that the majority of recipients would rather not be in that position.

Just for interests sake, have you ever met any illegal immigrants, worked with them or heard first hand why they have made the decision to enter another country illegally or what they went through to get there? Do you not consider it offensive to refer to them in the same breath, as you so eloquently put it, ‘lazy b******s who do not want to work’.

mandy
👍

Tue 10 Apr 2007, 09:34

have you got a clue of what your on about.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 10 Apr 2007, 02:14

It's a total Daily Express myth and slur that immigrants are leeches.

The vast majority of immigrants to this country work harder and pay more taxes than their native counterparts.

The latter is statistically documented by the DTI as fact, the prior is my experience.

I would suggest getting your facts straight before casting spurious and groundless assertions.

BTW, I said 'anti-immigrant' bigotry because that's what you expressed; you said you're not a 'racist'. I made no such accusation.

You made the connection between race and immigration.

As one of my less-than-Caucasion son of an immigrant acquaintance says, you can always tell when someone's about to spout some racist drivel because they always start with 'I'm not a racist but . . .'

graham W
👍

Mon 9 Apr 2007, 18:12

No I am not a bigoted incohent racist as you describe but a hard working person like yourself I hope, its the leeches that I disapprove of.

mandy
👍

Mon 9 Apr 2007, 17:43

whats that meant to mean i thourght this was where we said what we thourght or is this just meant for chaurlbury people are there many ture chalbury people left now.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 9 Apr 2007, 12:13

Great:
The Charlbury web forum, home to incoherent, bigoted anti-immigrant tripe.

I knew I could beat you out of the bushes and holes you slither around in eventually.

graham W
👍

Fri 6 Apr 2007, 10:57

In reply to Ivan reply a Giro is the new currency for Illegal immigrants and lazy b*****ds who do not want to work!

Julie Negus
👍

Thu 5 Apr 2007, 11:57

Better a Time Lord.....
Than A Time Waster!!

ivan krechov
👍

Wed 4 Apr 2007, 20:33

julie n this is not a time lord this a time warp ? iam the ayatollAH OFF ROCK AND ROLLa.

ivan krechov
👍

Wed 4 Apr 2007, 19:19

igor what is a giro i do not understand

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 3 Apr 2007, 14:38

Those lazy French can never get anything together

news.monstersandcritics.com/europe/news/article_1286416.php/French_TGV_train_breaks_worlds_rail-speed_record__Roundup_

Julie Negus
👍

Tue 3 Apr 2007, 09:54

graham w .....Time Lord. What a title!!!

graham W
👍

Mon 2 Apr 2007, 17:18

Check out IP address!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 2 Apr 2007, 07:10

Johnny foreigner?

I thought Richard had established that the self-embarrassing reactionaries had to use their real names when posting their incoherent, bigoted nonsense, Giro?

Derek Collett
👍

Sun 1 Apr 2007, 22:19

Didn't the French experiment with a decimal week (seven working days, three days off) at some point? I wonder what that was like... Obviously it never caught on.

ivan krechov
👍

Sun 1 Apr 2007, 13:43

why should we change to suit johnny foreigner if they dont like it they will have to follow us .in my job i still use feet and inches even though the basic material is purchased in metric. it suits me and i will not change.

Julie Negus
👍

Sun 1 Apr 2007, 12:22

Some one had 1 too many beers in the Rose & Crown last night!!!!
Well Done.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sun 1 Apr 2007, 07:11

Good one.

Sadly, there are some home truths buried in this joke:

We are now in the embryonic stages of kilos and kilometres.
Is there pride in being behind in assimilating a universal (not just European), standard of measurement?

And of course the implicit but bizarre notion that British identity is somehow at odds with Europe.

Perhaps for a small fringe of UKIP devotees that's true, but then there are some who still think you fall off the edge of the world if you sail far enough.

Who was it again we just turned to for support in sanctioning Iran for detaining British sailors? And who has laid down the strongest threat to date against Iran if they don't release them?

EU Time Directive
👍

Sun 1 Apr 2007, 00:02

The United Kingdom adopted the metric system in 1971, initially with the introduction of the decimal monetary system replacing £sd. We are now in the embryonic stages of kilos and kilometres. These conventions have made calculations and unification across the EU a lot easier even more so when the UK finally joins the EMU (European Monetary Unit) with the Euro. Whilst we fully understand all the concerns about British ness and identity we feel that over the next few years the Euro will be accepted.

As part of a feasibility project across all nations within the European Union a number of specially selected regions within each member state has been earmarked for a trial of very controversial project. At present the world is governed by the 24-hour day, which is split into 60 minutes and 60 seconds with a year based on 365 / 366 days in a year. The intention is to simplify this by breaking this formula down to a factor of 10, thus making a day two parts of 10 and the subsequent minutes and seconds to the same. In the early part of the scheme it is intended to keep the 24-hour day but utilise the minutes and seconds to the factor of 10 with the full implementation at a later date.

Eg.

10:30 am would become 10.75
08:12 = 8.20am
19:52 = 19.87

This will make time telling easier and universally acceptable across Europe and Internationally, the benefits are endless, sectors like air/ sea traffic and the preparation of timetables etc. The UK Government will soon announce the British region that will take part in our trial. Oxfordshire has been short listed, along with Les Heures in France, Costas Timora in Spain, Bella Secundo in Italy and KlokenHeuren in Germany

Further details will be issued soon or contact me directly at eu_timedirective@hotmail.co.uk

Prepared by:-
Arthur Nower
Consultant - EU Implementation Team

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.