Short Circuit now on the Web - towards a sustainable economy

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 13 Apr 2006, 14:23

On the issue of energy prices, how about paying households paying £5000-7000 per year for heating and lighting in 5 years time? It's been a 184% increase in less than two years thus far.

That's not an unrealistic average price given the way energy costs are going to ramp up as global demand increases, "peak oil" and gas bites, and as the impact sinks in of the treason of blowing our oil and gas reserves in 25 years, largely in electricity production at 20% system efficiency, just to keep American corporations and the British pigolopists in clover, and not using the resources to have spent a generation converting ourselves to sustainable forms, which we could have done by now. Thus securing millions of real jobs for the future which can't be exported to third world slaveshops.

Won't be too long before people start thinking differently about keeping warm and the plasma screen TV on (at 1300 watts per hour!). But by then it might be too late, now is the time to start thinking and planning. Actually, 20 or more years ago was. but next decade most certainly isn't.

Article in today's Guardian here: http://money.guardian.co.uk/news_/story/0,,1753197,00.html .
(Copied-and-pasted article removed - please link rather than copying out. Thanks. -- Richard)

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 13 Apr 2006, 14:10

Ah, but think - it wouldn't just be our cost of energy. Those with shares in the cooperative or company would be getting a pretty stonking good return after a few years.

Ask any Dane with a CHP plant and a brace of windmills for their small town, selling on electricity to the large cities...

With the English the obstacles to change are all psychological and emotional, there are few practical problems, and usually significant benefits. The mindset still baffles me after 30 years here. I was brought up in a settler society where a can-do and communal approach had reaped huge benefits for a few generations.

John Kearsey
👍

Thu 13 Apr 2006, 10:36

Actually I don't think that is trivialising the issue. These things have to start somewhere and a small hydro scheme such as this is more readily understood than using lots of acronyms. As for a CHP, which I am assuming is a Community Heating Project, can you imagine the outcry if our precious roads all have to be dug up (again!)to install it. I fear energy costs will have to consume a far higher proportion of disposable income before it would be possible here.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 12 Apr 2006, 20:39

Somehow I think it has to be a bit more systematic than that! Nice try trivialising the issue, though.

Now hands up any more global warming deniers!

Ben E. Wriggle
👍

Wed 12 Apr 2006, 09:24

Lets put the waterwheel back on the mill race. I've got a long extension lead, and a multiplug. Anyone??

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 11 Apr 2006, 22:58

Indeed, that's why I suggested it ;) Must be some farmers around these parts who aren't simply agribusiness managers and seeking a consistent income "doing things right".

And while we're at it - has anyone ever done a calculation of Charlbury's collective electricity consumption? Sounds like a nice student project…

Long post - click to read full text

Liz Reason
👍

Tue 11 Apr 2006, 14:12

Good idea. We could do it here.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 10 Apr 2006, 18:25

Have you heard about or read this book?

It is a super summary of what a place like Charlbury could do to help ensure some survival sustainability when the oil balloon goes up (or down) and the globalised economy collapses. Sometime within the next decade or two at most.

It is now available on the web. One idea, from the person who sent this email to me, is something people are doing in Sebastopol, California - establishing and supporting CSA's: Community Supported Agriculture, paying a monthly fee to a local organic farmer who grows most of our food. It is a five miles away from their home.

Well worth a read and think if you are into Charlbury having a future!

http://www.feasta.org/documents/shortcircuit/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.