Short Circuit now on the Web - towards a sustainable economy

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 11 Apr 2006, 22:58

Indeed, that's why I suggested it ;) Must be some farmers around these parts who aren't simply agribusiness managers and seeking a consistent income "doing things right".

And while we're at it - has anyone ever done a calculation of Charlbury's collective electricity consumption? Sounds like a nice student project for someone from secondary school or university.

I wonder what a combination of some renewables and a small CHP station would enable in the way of payback and some degree of self sufficiency if approached communally.

If I recall my CHP campaign days way back in the 70s Charlbury was just about the right size for a modest plant ... and the road layout would lend itself to the workings, being a series of fairly radial lines. Danes do it, why can't we?

And to finish off with some musings - anyone else ever noticed the consistency of the wind flow over the end of the valley up here Ditchley Road way, on the brow? I have, its surprising. It's something of a local topographic effect, I suspect. But the place could be begging for a windmill or two. Nice little money spinner for a local cooperative of local people that would be.

I'm thinking of putting in for a couple of those little 2kw generators when they come on the market next year, one at each end of the roof. The wind fairly howls past the gables on many days! Had my neighbours complaining about the noise on the row of houses often enough. Might as well exploit the situation.

Ah, just think. Enough roof for 12-15kw of photovoltaic lekky under good conditions (unfortunately ca 40 grand to buy at present prices, be interesting to see what will happen when China ramps up massive production!), 2.2kw heat pump will space heat the house more than amply, about 3-4kw for lights and computers giving really plenty of margin (and that will decrease as computers get more efficient, tho' don't buy a plasma screen TV 'cos they consume 1300 watts!!) so export some 4-6kws hour to the grid at 9.6 pence/kwH at current prices. And THOSE proces are simply going to double in the next decade. Add on some 4kw of windmill power as and when, that could be up to 10kw/h export at peak. Hmmm.

Now all we need is to get through the night when the sun isn't shining - hence the quick-start chp unless anyone has any bright ideas of storage that can be done locally? Stonking big pumped storage pond up a hill somewhere? Hills we've got.

I wonder what local water resources are like?

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.