Concerned about threat to Charlbury events

russell robson
👍

Mon 28 Mar 2011, 12:13

Apologise, I was not being selective, I just didn't click the longer post.

So for accuracy I include all Mr. Hoffman's post to ensure non selective use of the content.

"Fri 14 Jan, 11:34

Noise is something which affects all of us in way or another. Following the experience of an increasing number of noisy events last summer, it is a growing concern for many residents of Charlbury. We already have the Riverside Festival and the Beer Festival. With the recent grant of licences to Cornbury Park and the Cricket Club we are now at risk of a further 18 noise-making events during the summer months, including loud music throughout the day and up to late at night.

A number of us have been discussing how we can best try to maintain the character of Charlbury as a tranquil country community. We have decided in the first place to set up a new group tentatively to be called the Charlbury Noise Limitation Group. The aim of the NLG will be to act as a focus for residents who are concerned about noise, so that they can make their presence known and felt.

We already have a number of ideas as to how to do this. For example, we need to convert our grumbling and unhappiness into actual protests, and we need to deliver our protests to those making the noise, to the various local authorities, and to make sure they are properly logged and noted.

I know that doing this kind of thing goes against the grain for many Charlbury residents. We just want to live peaceably and on good terms with our neighbours. But we have come to the conclusion that the situation has gone too far, and 2011 is going to be the year in which we make an effort to preserve one of the best features of life in Charlbury, or lose it for want of trying.

We do not want to prevent other people from enjoying themselves, but we do not think it is fair or reasonable that they should do so at the expense of their neighbours. We do not want to create bad feeling or tensions in the community. We are happy for many of these events to take place, and many of us will wish to participate in some of them. But we think that, in setting the volume control, the organisers should take account of other people�s interests as well.

I propose that, in order to get the NLG off the ground, anybody who wishes to express support either does so through this Forum, or contacts me. I would encourage anyone who is concerned about this at least to make contact, even if you do not want to become actively involved or to make a protest about any particular event. I intend to keep a list of people, but obviously I will not disclose any name or any other details unless that person is willing for me to do so, and I will not make any further contact if you do not wish me to do so.

I hope to be able to announce details of an initial meeting of the group soon, perhaps as a public meeting.

My contact details are:

e-mail: mark.hofman@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01608 810783
Address: The Old Farmhouse, The Playing Close, Charlbury, OX7 3QP"

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.