All That Jazz

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 30 Mar 2006, 03:27

I don't think my suggestion excludes that.

If anything, a jazz component might broaden the appeal, preserve the festival, attract sponsorship etc.

At the risk of provoking even more stones hurled in my direction, I fully support the festival and I think it's a great family weekend and I think all this business about one relatively minor incident last year is completely overblown (has nobody ever been to a real rock concert before?).

HOWEVER, (and I fully to admit to being an old fogey with old fogey tastes), apart from a couple of blues bands I've heard and athe familiarity of a couple of local people I know who I've heard perform, I kind of wish the music was a little broader in appeal.

There, I've said it.

Actually I've said it previously to one or more organiser, so it's not a new opinion coming from me.

I'm sure everyone has has their personal preferences; mine happens to be Jazz, especially modern and hard bop.

And I know that there are numerous talented bands in perpetual tour who would jump at the chance to play open air and in the setting like the Riverside Festival offers. People like Eric Bibbs (Google him if you don't know), used to play here and it definitely wasn't for the money.

Look, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to run their festival and I will shutup if no one agrees but I just think it would be nice (meaning I would personally like it),to broaden the spectrum of music.

It doesn't even have to be Jazz, arts council-funded Big Village is putting on a variety of 'world music' (god,I hate that term) performances in village townhalls throughout the year, why not tie-in with them during the summer?

What about some dance or modern theatre (whatever that is)?

JOKEOr elephants and clowns?JOKE

OK, that was meant to be silly, but you get the idea.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.