Mostly for the many runners in Charlbury

Neil MacAlpine
👍

Thu 23 Mar 2006, 12:32

The phantom poster posts again. My own forum within the forum - ah weel, if no one is there to read then I can say what I like.
It is sad that David Halliwell passed away, on his own like that. I didn't know him all that well, only via the times I was in the pub and he came too.
I often passed his house, you couldn't miss the untidy stack of books in the room, and, yes, I did wonder if he was OK.
People living on their own need some sort of way of regular checking - at University my landlord, who lived next door, died like that.
As I hadn't seen him for 3 days I alerted the College porters who had a key, and there he was.
I kind of 'inherited' his Jordans fruit bar delivery, which had been lying at the door. Each bar was a commensal meal in his memory (I was studying anthropology at the time).
And, of course, my mother nearly made herself pass away like that, the day before Hogmanay.
So mortality is something we all have to make our peace with, I thought that this morning as I was shaving.
I was reading an old family bible recently, from a branch of the family that I am not sure how it is related to mine, and the entries sart in 1814 and go up to about 1842. They had child after child, all recorded there, and at least half of them died. Notably there were three attempts to call one son William. I am not sure if the 3rd one worked out successfully.
It is interesting seeing these family histories, and how many people have passed before you, leaving absolutely no mark.
Funnily enough I don't always think of such downbeat topics as I run, but there is a certain intellectual interest heightened by the flow of the activity.

ORN I didn't run today, but I went out at 5.30 yesterday. 4 miles, but i won't mention the (slow) time.
I woke up a bit weary this morning at the right time to go out, these light mornings are offering me less and less chance to put off going out.
The big flock of fieldfares was still there, up at Ditchley gates, but the chilly wind kept everything else down. Except my happinesss at stealing another moment from the great river's flow.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.