Cleaner

Valerie Stewart
👍 8

Thu 4 Apr, 23:17

Thank you Rod - you read my mind.   Specifically, for several years my neighbour and I (and many others) recieved excellent service from Cleaning21 in Chippy - not only were they excellent cleaners, they also had a laundry service, which was great for me and essential for the (very) disabled neighbour whom I look after informally.    Their business model was quite simple: they were staffed by youngsters from Eastern Europe who came here for a couple of years, worked their tripes out, and went home with enough money saved to set them up with a house, with education, etc.   Brexit put a thorough stop to that.   And far from spitting on them: during the pandemic when they couldn't work I insisted on paying them nonetheless, I voluntarily raised their fees when the energy crisis exploded, and when dear Ovi and Lilly had to return to Romania I offered to write them references if they ever needed them and sent Lilly home with the alexandrite pendant my Dad gave me years ago.  

After they left I had great trouble finding reliable cleaners at a decent price: many of them wanted a guaranteed weekly two hours for each assignment, which was far too much, and I still haven't found a laundry service that doesn't charge as much to launder a sheet as you can buy one from M&S.   Before I discovered Peggy Sparkles we had considerable trouble finding reliable cleaners and I'm very content with Peggy's help.   If anyone can suggest a reasonable laundry service I will cause blessings to rain upon your head.  

As it happens, the people in my profession whom I admire the most have all lived in diverse societies and their richer frames of reference have played a significant part in their effectiveness.   And there's a significant body of research showing that when all other variables are corrected for, people who grow up multilingual are - if they're going to develop dementia - likely to get it five years later than their monolingual control group.   Blutiger Brexit.  

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.