Music licence at The Bull

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 9

Thu 28 Mar, 17:56 (last edited on Thu 28 Mar, 18:05)

I dropped a line to WODC to ask their interpretation and they helpfully replied:

“A summary of the application is as follows

• Sale of alcohol for on and off sales
  • Recorded Music indoors only
  • Plans submitted showing they wish to licence the premises and the garden area.

“Section F falls outside of the deregulation of the Live Music Act and therefore this needs to be added to the application as it is deemed as regulated entertainment.

“The canopy would not be classed as indoors but because they are applying to licence the garden area please see the highlighted information below”

It then has the text from the application form with this bit highlighted:

“Live music: no licence permission is required for:

• performance of unamplified live music between 08.00 and 23.00 on any day, on any premises.
  • a performance of amplified live music between 08.00 and 23.00 on any day on premises authorised to sell alcohol for consumption on those premises, provided that the audience does not exceed 500.

“Recorded Music: no licence permission is required for:

• any playing of recorded music between 08.00 and 23.00 on any day on premises authorised to sell alcohol for consumption on those premises, provided that the audience does not exceed 500.

I have edited out some irrelevant stuff about village halls. You can read the full application on the link that Mark posted earlier.

Speaking entirely personally (and as a near neighbour) I think it’s terrific that the new management are making such a success of the Bull. I am a little concerned at the possibility of recorded music during the daytime on weekdays – obviously lots of us in the town centre work from home, and a continual recorded soundtrack drifting over from the Bull would not be great. But I’m sure the Bull team can clarify that. Live music, evenings and weekends? Go for it.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.