9:38 to London no more after 13 December.

Chris Bates
👍

Wed 3 Dec 2008, 10:04

In response to Derek's long piece....

Completely agree with your first para - and as has been explained here, is a consequence of FGW picking up a long-standing request by CLPG to tighten the Birmingham connections up. The timetable needed altering by getting the 0938's down previous journey to Worcester to arrive there later, hence leaving later towards London.

John Stanley stated that the CLPG alerted FGW to this consequence while the timetable was under construction, but FGW went ahead anyway. THe next chance to reinstate it will be after redoubling.

"The first is by providing an unpunctual, unreliable and substandard service" - as you well know, there are many contraints on running a punctual, reliable service along the Cotswold Line that are out of the operator's control - the single line being a major one.... so it's slightly disingenuous to state that this is a way the operator controls usage.

Any commercial operator of any transport will want to carry as many passengers as they can at a fare that maxinises their profit. THe operator is currently constrained by two major things right now - the first is the single line, which is about to be sorted big time - and the second is the DfT's way that it micro-,manages the rail franchises.

FGW would love to obtain more rolling stock, both for the LTV (London / Thames Valley) and the Bristol area - but there is absolutely none available. None. And the DfT won't sanction any more - although they've just relented slightly (see recent news) - it's still going to be two years before it's ready for use. Other operators also want stock too - but the interfering Government won't allow it's construction. With the length of franchises offered by the DfT, it is obvious that it is uneconomic for the operator to purchase directly. So that's not FGW' fault or under their control either.

If you want a good rant, aim it at Gordon Brown....it might have more effect!

The evening fare restrictions are there to prevent season-ticket holders (who are investing over £4000 annually) from travelling in worse cattle truck conditions than they already do. See it from the season-ticket holders point of view - why should someone travelling on a stupidly-cheap (compared to their season ticket price) ticket prevent them from getting a seat? THe trains are already (over)crowded with full fare payers, so why make it even worse for them by allowing a cheap ticket holder on too?

Unfortunately, until the DfT solves the stock shortage and capacity constraints (by giving Network Rail more money), I'm in favour of these evening restrictions.

It's a national issue - the operators offer cheap tickets at times when there are empty seats to fill. There are no seats in the morning rush and none coming home either. I'm not sure you'll get any sympathy from the season ticket holders amongst us.

However, I'll check the availability issue raised in posts after yours and below this one.

There are a lot more trainsd running than in the days of loco-&-coaches. The movements required to add / remove coaches and / or locos would reduce severely the number of trains able to run. Indeed, there are far more people traveling also. Going back to those is completely impractical.

"Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't HSTs (eight carriages) and Adelantes (five carriages) comprise indivisible units? If so, then in my opinion it is this lack of flexibility regarding the length of the trains which handicaps the present-day privatised rail companies."

Correct & correct. But aim your rant at the DfT, not the operator. Only the DfT can change this. Gordon Brown again....

As I've said, there is NO MORE stock to be had by FGW or any other operator. Ask Gordon Brown what he's going to about it....and if GB thinks what the DfT recently announced as part of the HLOS (high-level Output Statement) is sufficient, he's mistaken. OPerator comments I've heard state they could use twice the number of coaches....

EVERY available train / coach is in use in both peaks - there just isn't any stock to lengthen ANY train - hence when a unit breaks down, they have to juggle the other trains coaches around, hence you getting a turbo instead of an HST....you can bet that some other train has one turbo unit instead of two....

What we need is a complete change of TRansport Policy towards raiul and away from motorways. The Tories might be on the right track, but Mr Cameron needs tackling on the Tories full proposed transport policy - are they going to spend on rail, rather than another bloody motorway or runway?

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.