Planning Application by the Community Centre (Debate)

Nick Johnson
👍 16

Sat 29 Apr 2023, 19:21

Christine has scratched the surface of a much bigger point.  Let's compare the two organisations. The Community Centre has made a huge contribution to the health and wellbeing of the people of Charlbury and beyond. It has changed many peoples lives. Its success has been due to its receptiveness to new ideas ( pickle ball!) and its inclusiveness and its openness. 

When the Football and Sports Club (FSC) was rebuilt a couple of years ago, I was Chair of the Tennis Club. The Courts are adjacent to the FSC. We were advised that the shadow of the building would affect the usability of one of the courts in winter. This a serious issue for winter league matches. The Tennis Club committee discussed the matter and, recognising the need for the FSC to find a home, decided not to object. For a few days a year, the shadow does make one court unusable. We adopted contingency plans to deal with the issue rather than campaigning to stop the FSC. 

Later, at the time when the FSC received  a significant contribution from the Town Council, the Tennis Club gave £2000 -quite a sum for a small club- to the FSC's appeal. At that time, the Nine Acres Management Committee, and I presume the Town Council, were told that the FSC would be more inclusive, reach out to other sports and crucially, include other sports on their management committee. This certainly has not happened, at least as far as the tennis club is concerned. Things appear to have gone on in much the same way, with the same people as used the club in its previous venue. The  rather embarrassing rush to put in a link to the \Charlbury website today testifies to the inward looking nature of the club.

I don't care how short a time he has been in Charlbury, Malcolm Johnson ( no relation) is absolutely right. All that's really needed to meet most of FSC's objections is better signage. I don't agree with my friend Steve Andrews. Separating the gym from the rest of the activities would cause staffing issues. The reason for the proposal is to stop the constant need to move the equipment from room to room within the Community Centre  and give it a proper home. I think it is wrong in principle for the FSC, a "sports" club! to try and stop a development in a charitable organisation dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of the people of |Charlbury.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.