Charlbury Community Workshop

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 14 Jul 2022, 12:42 (last edited on Thu 14 Jul 2022, 12:47)

I may not be the only person who would put up some sort of share capital, with or without a return of capital arrangement etc for some sort of community enterprise to finance more capital expensive items or systems. Like a scintered metal printer as many things plastic won’t do.

By now Make Spaces have been a quite vigorous movement in the English speaking world for well over a generation. We’ve been slow in the “Motherland “ to have many examples .

I think that “making” is a bit deeper in the cultures of Canada, where I spent childhood, to mention just one “colony”. English language world because I am, alas, only monolingual, and haven’t been back to Europe since extensive travel there in the 80s (in large part doing things like promoting the GLC Popular Planning polices and alternative plans for deindustrialising areas which included things like wide access facilities for design, prototyping and so on and on. 

The Europeans were totally baffled. All the best ideas in the world for responding to the environmental challenges and the challenges of broadening economy skills transmission and new skills- and innovative skills- and democratic inclusive types of organisations, a long list of creativity in the 70s and 80s.

They looked to Britain for ideas and models and thought we had everything sorted out, well much anyway. And all we were doing was just giving it all away to the rest of the world to use as a start point for their response to change whilst Government put more effort into stopping the things in Britain, things  that in parts of the Ruhrgebeit I was helping draw up proposals that were still being used last time I looked a decade ago.

Dare To Call It Treason…

Anyway the resources centre pioneering of 1975 or 1981 or whenever will be very old hat indeed by now and modern Make Spaces from here and abroad in the English speaking cultures must have much more relevant to say. Also can we break out of our monolingual zone and access things happening elsewhere?

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.