The reality of holding weight of 12 inch iPad?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Tue 21 Sep 2021, 16:36

<fx> resumes breathing after a long hiatus <fx-off> I've been holding off on following up on the trying out of 12" iPad tablets cf a thread from months ago I've here resurrected, for two main reasons: 

(a) waiting for everyone to have had two Covid jabs and see how things were developing like maintenance of immune effect over time, not just for my own well-being but that also  of others as my daughter was working in a public facing role and could lead to there being a risk of us being an unwitting transmitter of the wee nasty beastie to someone more at risk. She's got a better job and has now moved out to share her first independent home with a friend. 

And then there was (b)- Waiting until about now, near the date when Apple will be announcing the next batch of modified and developed models in their range, especially now that their "own-brand" RISC processor, the M1, has become more established and its bugs better debugged and the greater potential (hopefully) better realised (with further merging of the blurring line between tablet and laptop occurring now that they are both using the M1 cpu...?

If your offers still hold for me to come around and see how, in real life, how heavy it is to hold a laptop-sized tablet as a tablet compared to the clamshell with attached keyboard ... if your offer still holds can I come around sometime to try out? Or to meet up somewhere like library, Deli cafe if that is open, one of the local hostelries?

I'm increasingly becoming dependent upon audio books, podcasts etc and using the larger text possible on enlarged fonts on a screen rather than tiny 10 point fonts on newsprint, due to some difficulties with reading. And also cheaper online-only subs to journals and ebooks, and am finding audio playback programs etc are increasingly being made available on mobile devices, not general-purpose computers. I've had little success in being able to get running tablet/phone operating system or apps programs to run under Windows or Linux properly. Probably due to my clod-fisted out of date tekkie unskills.

So over to you. Cheers!

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.