Identity Cards

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 9 Nov 2005, 22:46

I do have a problem with Identity cards. Governments have known for many years now that the main threats that they face are internal (by that I mean us) and not external. Identity cards will be great for the government, because it's not the card that matters. It is the data obtained, by the use of the cards. All the data can be linked and used in some very inventive ways. And it will be. We, at our peril, let this happen, because today's government is not tomorrows and the data will ALWAYS exist.

This data will be used to target suspicious behaviour, which may include your (current) freedom to disagree with the government. Indeed it is sometimes necessary to break to law to change the way society is. In the past this would include things like the suffragettes (Emily Davison) and many other worthy causes. So it is the intimidation value of the ID data that the government wants, that will help control us. Terrorists are not intimidated by this, when on a one way journey. But ordinary people are. Employers will have to verify ID with the government system before some one can commence employment! May be in future we will have to check our neighbours ID weekly and also report any suspicious behaviour!

You just have to look how the new anti-terrorism laws are being used to stop and hold people, like the the anti-war protesters (like me) and the fuel campaigners (not like me), who have just been trying to demonstrate, to see how the ID data will be used and abused in future by the Police/Government (remember that the Police are the Governments militia for controlling us).

Just look at how loyalty card data is used in supermarkets, and how fast people are, to give up their profile and identity for a few pence off.

Freedom once lost is not so easily regained and as our society becomes more and more intolerant, totalitarian, and "secure" we imprison ourself.

Even if we had a 7/7 attack (where 50 people died. One's friends, family or self) every week I would still not agree, or support ID cards. Terrorists win when our society becomes frightened and throws away it's freedoms.

As for criminals, that is us, is it not. Everyone breaks the law at some time....

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.