New to Charlbury

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 8 Nov 2005, 10:03

I moved here from London 4 years ago and commuted to my office in Clerkenwell for the first 6 months, 4 days a week. I gave up after 6 months during the winter months as delayed/cancelled trains are more than just a minor inconvenience when the weather's bad. But I agree with Richard that the main pain was between Paddington and Farringdon tube station, for me.

I think the key to commuting is flexable work schedules.
Don't try it if you have to be in London at precise times on a regular basis; you'll go mad!

I do feel obliged to balance some of the positive comments about the overall friendliness in Charlbury (*deep breath*):

It is true that in general most residents of Charlbury are friendly, courteous and welcoming; however, I have had some bad experiences with a minority of individuals who do not take kindly to what they deem are outsiders. Or people who 'don't belong here'. Being an outsider apparently means anyone who's great grandparents weren't born here. (I'm only half-joking, here).

I've heard Charlbury described as a collection of cliques more than a community per se, by more than one resident and I would say that it is essential to join one of the social organisations, churchs or clubs in order to have a local social life; unless of course, you like to bathe in real ale.

This is not just my opinion: I can think of at least 3 families and individuals who have sold up and left Charlbury over the past 4 year because they felt isolated and snubbed by some of the self-important factions here. One of whom used to contribute to this Forum's previous incarnation.

I also think it's important to point out that the demographics in Charlbury are exceptional and do not reflect the general country.

This is largely a white, middle class town with very few tans. This is a consideration to take into account especially when it comes to ones children and school environment. The plus side is that the primary school is very aware of this defecit and put efforts into promoting more cultural diversity with ties to foreign schools and multicultural programmes.

I'm not the only parent who feels it is important that our children grow up in the real world rather than a rarefied environment.

Likewise, Charlbury is primarily a Christian community, with very few representatives of other faiths in evidence. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on ones'perspective; however, I do know that those of us who share more secular beliefs (I'm not the only one!), feel at times, that the Christian faith is almost a default requisite for residency here.

Strangely, the second biggest faith community in Charlbury seems to be self-decribed Pagans; perhaps this is a reaction to the default faith.

OK, I realise I may provoke some angry reactions from my comments, but before setting flaming fingers to keyboard, please read carefully what I am saying: the majority of Charlbury residents are friendly, courterous and welcoming. I have made a few very good friends here. But there is a small minority of people I have run across while living here that feel that some are more entitled to reside here than others. Charlbury is largely a white, middle class almost mono-cultural community that would benefit from a richer blend of new faces and perspectives.

In My Humble Opinion.

(*exhale*)

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.