Save them from the tip!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 20 May 2008, 23:19

OCVA also do pick ups of heavy furnishing - we just gave them a horribly expensive orthopedic mattress which just, alas, didn't suit my back - a very costly experiment to find that out :-( Someone should have a "bed bank" for spinal injury people to try things out before they buy, especially when one is not well off...

These items of furniture and domestic goods like cookers and fridges etc. (they can do safety checks I believe) go to needy families such as those being rehoused from bedsitland into social housing etc. Certainly the times I've taken stuff to the tip - which means its too far gone for any useful purpose anymore, freecycle or anything, me being a rampant environmentalist and arch squirrel, I was brought up in a colonial make and mend culture with a vengeance - what I've seen being chucked out has made me weep/rage!

There are also the local freecycle groups: Witney, Chippy and Oxford, and a discussion forum oxfordshirefreecyclecafe@yahoogroups.com. Oxford freecycle is so busy as to be effectively useless unless one spots a posting within about 2 seconds of it hitting the mail servers!

One doesn't have to go through all the rigmarole of registering with Yahoo via web pages - simple email commands will get you joined up (and unjoined).

witneyfreecycle-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
chippyfreecycle-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
oxfordfreecycle-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
and
oxfordshirefreecyclecafe-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

To unsubscribe simply replace the subscribe word with .... unsubscribe!

The disadvantage of this quick email subscription method and not going via the joining up process on the webpage is that one does not have access to any photos that are posted of items, or message archives, but my memory is so bad its another password to recall and I've forgotten it every time!! So I don't bother.

I don't know if Charlbury and the surrounding satellite villages who "orientate" towards us here would be large enough to support their own small freecycle - the others do get very busy, oxford overwhelmingly so. It could be something we could simply try out, its simple to set up, and if it doesn't generate any useful traffic then pack it in...?

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.