Rushy Bank development in Witney Gazette

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sun 20 Aug 2017, 13:34 (last edited on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 13:37)

Jim. it is interesting, and the whole affair of the WODC being put under the microscope and finally conceding is very interesting indeed. What would have been even more interesting, had there been an opportunity, would to have been a chance for the Charlbury Conservation Society and their supports, should they have chosen, to have gone through a similar process and see what that outcome might have been for Pooles Lane. On account of the details not being made
public as to what exactly the mistake was that the WODC made, there is obviously potential for disparity between the outcomes in different cases and in different circumstances. I'd be really very interested to know the nature of the national policy that was not applied when it should have been. What difference could it have made if it had not been challenged at that point? These are examples of the type of questions that make this interesting to some of us who (frankly) are not frightened to nail their colours to the flag! Also, just to set the record straight on my colours, I am horrified by the Pooles Lane so-called development because it provides no hope for any young local family to buy one of those houses.
I have to admit that I am suspicious of the notion that the Friends of the Evenlode is a charity. Usually, organisations that 'do good work' are praised by everyone. There are certain other charities though, like public schools, who through the status get tax relief. I've never understood that properly. Perhaps (Jim, or Paul) you would explain to me what the benefits are (apart from tax relief) of the Friends being a charitable status. Would you be able to do that, please? It would help me a lot. It might also help to broaden the understanding of other people in the town, some of whom are being jeered at for not being a member of the Friends, or who simply may not understand (like me) the lofty principles, and practises, of government officials in district councils.
Jim, you write that you are surprised by suggestions on this thread. I'm not surprised because it's the very secrecy of the Friends that causes suspicion. That is why I am asking you the question about it. Just one more question please about the Friends. How can you be a member and not know who else is, or where else other members live? I'm bemused by that one. How can you say, Paul, that you suspect that the other members are distributed about Charlbury. So, you don't know who else in a member, and you don't know where anyone lives. Why then would you make that comment in the first place? Do you not see that you contradict yourself? And yet you can write that you object to the slur, innuendo, and chippiness of others.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.