Development of 40 houses on land north of Jefferson’s Piec

Rich F
👍

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:07 (last edited on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 11:00)

Unless I've missed something I can't see any reference made to the impact on, for example, local school places nor the detrimental effects (safety, pollution, noise etc.) of increased traffic through a small rural town.

I do note a couple of things in the document though:

"The development of this site will have no detrimental impact on the environment, landscape or recreational opportunities."

Really? None?

"The Council will work in partnership with Oxfordshire County Council to consider appropriate measures to mitigate the impact of HGV traffic on Burford."

HGV impact is mentioned with respect to several towns, Charlbury is not one of them - a significant number of HGVs do travel through Charlbury (e.g. from Chippy to Witney) and I wonder whether we have made any (or strong enough) representations on this issue? (I also note that the locals in other towns are concerned about "a number of problems including noise and vibration" - some of us have rather high dry stone walls in Charlbury!)

In short, some important aspects of the town's existing infrastructure (school places, road network etc.) don't appear to have been considered (or perhaps they were, but then glossed-over as they're 'inconvenient' with respect to the plan) but then this seems to be a recurring theme recently.

edit: Just to add:

"A new rural service centre, 'West Oxfordshire Garden Village' will be created to the north of the A40 near Eynsham. This will be a freestanding new settlement based on 'garden village' principles."

...is just laughable - clearly whoever conceived that idea has never sat in the A40 tailback that stretches from Oxford to Eynsham (and beyond) every morning!

edit2: Ah, they do know about the tailback:

"There is severe traffic congestion on the A40 between Eynsham and Oxford at peak times"

So I assume they just haven't made the link between where people live/work and the effect on traffic volume, should we draw a picture?

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.