Charlbury Station parking charges

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 9 Sep 2016, 15:07

Thank you, William. It's very confusing. Apcoa's website states that they operate at all Network Rail stations across the UK, & they state that their Parking Contract with Network Rail runs from 2014-2019. But I take your word for the fact that, on the Cotswold line, the contract is with Gwr.

In practical terms, however, I continue to urge those getting unjustified Parking Charge Notices to put in an appeal to Popla asap. Apcoa has the reputation of initially turning down most appeals, & there are strict time limits governing the free ombudsman-type service which is Popla. Yes, by all means complain to Gwr also, but don't just rely on Apcoa's or Gwr's generosity!

We are all very grateful for the existence of the Cotswold Line &, indeed, also for its redoubling. But in the last couple years Gwr has developed policies that seem to focus only on commuters and those with season tickets. We had, first, the loss of cheap day returns to London, plus the extremely onerous restrictions on the times of return trains from London. It then became impossible to buy parking tickets at the counter in Charlbury -- &, of course, they are also not available in the solitary ticket machine (with its screen which is often invisible because of sun glare). Then, in May, there was a badly publicised change to the Penalty Fare Zone, so that it is now an offence to board a train at Charlbury without a ticket.

Add to this Anpr; the loss of the C1 bus; the expensive parking (in comparison with Hanborough and Oxford Parkway); the lack of 1 hr grace, short-period parking tickets and temporary parking bays. It's no wonder that leisure and disabled travellers are preferring Oxford Parkway. I live at the top end of Charlbury, & I am generally in London more quickly (and certainly more cheaply) if I drive to Oxford Parkway than if I walk to the station. If I have luggage to transport & nobody to give me a lift, I have little choice since parking places are full so early in the mornings.

In less than 100 days the link between the 2 Oxford stations should be open. It will be fascinating to see if Gwr change their pricing policies once it becomes possible for non-drivers who live along the Cotswold Line to get a London return more cheaply & more flexibly by routeing via Marylebone.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.