Let's be Proud of our Town

Peter Kenrick
👍

Thu 4 Aug 2016, 15:45

Our family moved to Charlbury 34 years ago and have always been proud to be part of this great community. Many things have changed but Charlbury is still a vibrant town - let's keep it that way!

Above all it the willingness of residents to get involved with the community that makes Charlbury special. It's this spirit that has given us great events like Riverside, the Beer Festival, Street Fair, Art Weeks and the astounding range of clubs and societies that many a larger community can only dream of.

But there is one more aspect that now needs more community support and that is the look of the streets and other areas in the town - weeds in the pavements, grass verges, dirty road signs and pot holes!

In the past the local authorities (OCC, WODC and the town council) have looked after these matters well but in these days of austerity things are changing. To address this change I am proposing a 3-pronged approach for which I have the support of the Town Council.

1. Working with OCC and other authorities - The Town Council has set up a working group to look into how we can work with OCC and other authorities to provide the level of services that the town wants. Realistically, whatever the outcome, the town council may well have to pay for some additional services if we want the town to look good.
2. Establishing a Charlbury Task Force - many services could be carried out very well by volunteers who have a real interest in keeping the town looking great. For example, if we want to manage some verges as wild flower refuges this can be done more effectively by local enthusiasts than by paid contractors. Also, community action days are probably the best way to tackle problems such as cleaning road signs, sweeping autumn leaves or clearing winter snow from paths and pavements.
3. Encouraging residents to look after their own patch - at a more general level, if everyone took care of the areas around their own homes and in their vicinities rather than always assuming that "someone else will do it", the place would soon look very different. Obviously not everyone is able to do this but if those who can, do; and if we also look to be good neighbours, everyone can benefit.

If you support this initiative and would like to be part of the Charlbury Task Force, I would really like to hear from you. Please email me at peter.kenrick48@gmail.com or call 01608 811021.

We are holding an initial workshop meeting on Tuesday 9th August at 8pm in the Corner House so if you are interested, please let me know and we will be pleased to see you Tuesday.

(If you have expressed an interest in volunteering in this way on the recent town questionnaire, we will be in touch personally soon but we would also be delighted to see you on Tuesday)

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.