Is there room for them in our inn?

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 22 Dec 2015, 09:37 (last edited on Tue 22 Dec 2015, 12:49)

Fadi Mansour writing on Leros yesterday.

21 december 2015
One of the toughest days more than 1300 people in leros today I was woket up at 6 am by a call from the police There was about 250 people they arrived to pantali.

The police will provide a bus for them so they would just sit and wait,

So we start with breakfast at 8 am and there were about 230 they arrived from Farmakonis.
At 7pm in the evening I got a call from police that they could not get a bus and they want me to pick them up with my car, I ran immediately to Panteli for I did think women and children in the cold for more than 13 hour. we got to picked them up. :)
The camp is full and more than 300 people sleeping outside because there is no more space in tents unfortunately.

Tomorrow Tuesday there a boat to Athens but unfortunately there is not room for more than 100 people refugee....

If you think it's all over because the western media has lost interest, think again! This report was posted last night. It's only a snapshot of one place. It doesn't mention the hunger strike on Lesvos, or the forced repatriations, or the drownings. But this is enough for now…
Greece: Official UNHCR numbers have confirmed the arrival of 7,596 refugees during the weekend. Most of the new arrivals are landing on #Lesvos and #Chios shores. By 10PM today, there were cca 1,000 confirmed new arrivals (possibly more due to conflicting reports) on Lesvos.

Volunteers from Chios are reporting a busy day with cca 2,000 refugees in the camp, but no numbers of new arrivals are provided yet. Influx has also dramatically increased in #Leros, where the camp is overflowing with no more room in the large MSF tents and UNHCR Ikea huts. Refugees are sleeping outside and more volunteers are needed. For several days now, #Moria camp is also beyond its capacity, so more people are forced to spend the night outside. With additional refugees coming from #KaraTepe camp for registration, even SIA refugees have to wait up to four days in order to get their documents in Moira.
Following the 3 billion euro deal between #EU and #Turkey, volunteers say more ships are coming during the night and landing on random, more distant places, probably in order to avoid attention of Turkish police patrols. While most of the boats still arrive safely, some of them land unattended in remote fisher villages, where there are no volunteers site. If they land to such places during the night, refugees are left soaking wet on freezing temperatures, sometimes for hours, waiting for someone to spot them and organize a transport to the camps. By 1PM today, 150 people have arrived to Chios camp, coming from several boats who got stranded for between 3 and 18 hours before rescuers managed to approach them. Some of the rescued refugees were still dripping wet when they entered the camp.

And on the border with Macedonia, after they make the crossing…
youtu.be/_e0ThOrTbxo

Meanwhile, meet a hero:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3366040/Grandfather-converts-bus-kitchen-feed-refugees-Christmas.html

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.