Oxfordshire County Council's proposed cuts to bus subsidies

Gareth Davies
👍

Sat 12 Dec 2015, 20:35

oxford county council are cutting subsidies and services using the excuse that they are non essential services .This is the part that has to be proved otherwise . These small bus services and the subsidies they receive are part of the capillaries of the transport services in this country linking routes together like access to Charlbury train station from the other smaller towns and villages .It has to be shown that they are essential to the elderly and disabled people who are dependent on these services but also how many people will have to give up work because they can no longer get there , how many unemployed people will be or young adults will be penalized and benefits stopped because they cant get to the job center .How many people will need re-homing because they can no longer afford to live here. Just how much of a strain will this put on already strained services.What about the mothers with pushchairs and prams who only have this service to rely on having post natal depression can be devastating enough with out feeling even more cut off and isolated and actually anyone with mental health conditions .What about the kids who have little to do at least they can go to the cinema or swimming or just meet up with friends would good kids turn bad just because of boredom .Facts and figures are needed maybe a good exercise for the Lib Dems draft a report/letter or paper of some kind and send copies to the PM council and national newspapers .Trying to get enough signatures in Charlbury is one thing but the Lib Dems trying to get signatures over west oxon is another 100 000 i believe is enough for it to be debated about .It has to be shown these are essential services and the effects of cutting them will have far reaching consequences for all .I myself am a disabled war pensioner my wife is registered as my carer i have had all the services that are relevant to me cut already losing the bus service would be devastating to us one final kick in the teeth from a government that only got in because it said it cared about the elderly disabled/carers who should already have their own bus pass and the vulnerable.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.