Emergency aid to refugees: Sunday collecting

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 30 Oct 2015, 16:04

Thanks to those of you who have already contributed DIY stuff, pallets, and warm clothing and blankets. Deadline for further contributions is Sunday at 1pm.

I know people are reading this, so just in case you think Lesvos is the only Greek island where this is happening, take a moment to read this. It's from Libby Freeman on Samos yesterday evening:

"I spent this evening in a living hell. I thought I was used to it by now but nothing can prepare you for Samos. I couldn't even hold it together for them.

"Tonight will haunt me forever. There is not enough support. There is not enough food. There is not enough clothing or blankets to cover the hundreds of babies wet through from the boats and sleeping in the open. It's not a camp it's just the port. No tents. Nothing. There is not enough people to help them. There are over a thousand people here tonight, probably over half are children. They are crying everywhere.

"We're taking our clothes and socks off and putting them on small children. There was seven of us. We couldn't do enough, we had to turn toddlers away for warm, dry clothes, shivering next to their pleading parents. They've been in wet clothes for hours, even days. There are at least three or four disabled children there. I thought I saw a little boy dead on a pallet with just a coat over him. I'm too scared to think what it's like when it rains. Everyone is so desperate but still so grateful. It hasn't even begun for them yet. How can they walk across Europe without any fucking shoes? They have to stay at the port for around 24 hours while they wait to be processed. Then more come so there is constant need. Hundreds and hundreds everyday.

"If you can come please come. If you can send money send money. If you can help in our Calais Action warehouse in South London go there. We're prepping for when our Lorry leaves for this Greek Island of Samos on Tues. Three young children drowned yesterday. Volunteers (all local) tell me how it feels to see the bodies, and that they're having problems sleeping. I don't understand how this is happening.

https://www.youcaring.com/refugees-in-calais-and-beyond-449154#.VhriLSP8AcU.facebook

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.