Charlbury's lost assets

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Sun 29 Sep 2013, 12:47 (last edited on Sun 29 Sep 2013, 13:03)

Last time I looked Richard most of the shops open at 9am not 2pm and to be honest if I had to commute via train everyday the last thing I would want to do after a hard day's work in the city and then having to stand up on a train till I reached Charlbury is to think ah yes I feel like wandering around the shops for a while. That's why I open my shop all day on Saturday and on Sundays 12-4pm just so these commuters have the chance to wander down to the Centre to do a bit of shopping if they feel so inclined, I know some of the other shops have tried it in the past and there are times I won't see any customers on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon at all but this allows me to keep framing in those times, the only shops that will always benefit from stopping open late are the food related shops I.E the CO-OP and whilst love it or loath it, we seem to all use it, but that shop is the main reason while most of the shops have failed in the town Centre since it moved to its present position. And so whilst this thread is titled Lost Assets and drifted onto the lost retail establishments, the existing shops do need your support we need people to come down to the town Centre we need people to come down to the Library, to the coffee mornings in the Corner House and to the bring and buy sales in the Memorial Hall, these are some, if not THE 2 greatest assets that Charlbury has, but sadly there are some people out there still Scheming away to try and off load these 2 great buildings that this town has to offer and if they succeed what are we left with ? A great big family house or set of swish flats? And a nice little Cul de sac of new developments in "Memorial Hall lane" and for what oh yes that big white elephant commonly known as the new "Community Centre" all of which will contribute to even more parking hell as we all know what that's like in town, just the other day I was trying to park in the main car-park about 9am on a Tuesday there were a group of walkers/ramblers just heading off for a days hiking from the car park so yes the walkers are welcome accolade Charlbury has seems to be working, I think I ended up having to park in the proposed new Library section of the new community building yes it was, I distinctly remember the bay I parked in was titled "Charlbury where did it all go wrong"

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.