Still worth requesting a later evening train from London?

Dominic Cavendish
👍

Sun 15 Sep 2013, 18:06

Hello.

I realise this may be a subject that has been explored in detail before; apologies if I'm restarting/restating a well-worn subject but before I give up hope of First Great Western ever being persuaded to give the Cotswolds Line a later train out of London than 21.48, I wanted to ask those who use the rail service in the evenings (and find it insufficient) whether they would be interested in submitting a communal request for a later train. As those who use the network will know, it's possible to get a train as late as 23.45 to London, but nothing comes the other way after 11pm. This undermines assertions by FGW that the line has to be clear of trains late in the evening to allow maintenance. The main argument I've heard from the company against a later service is that there isn't demand for it. I paste below two emails I received from Charlbury's customer representative, where this is stated. If there is a sufficiently strong feeling about this subject, perhaps it could be arranged that those who want a later service send out an email to Customer.Panel@firstgroup.com on an appointed day - say 11.11 - to emphasis that we'd like a better service. What does anyone think - or is there an action group I need to join? Thanks, Dominic

FGW RESPONSES:
Thank you for your email about trains towards Charlbury in the evening.

Unfortunately I have spoken to FGW and they have confirmed that there are no plans to extend trains on the line later than the current timetable. This is for two main reasons. Firstly from their end, there is insufficient demand to warrant providing services any later as far as Worcester (where the train would inevitably have to terminate at the earliest). There are of course later trains as far as Oxford, though obviously I know this is still a fair distance from Charlbury.

The other problem, more out of their control, is that Network Rail often takes control of the line during the nights for repairs and maintenance, and adding later trains would interfere with this. This is factored into the timetable and would unfortunately be difficult to get around, except if sufficient demand required it. If a train left Paddington at, say, 11pm, it wouldn't get into Worcester until approximately 1.30am, causing inevitable disruption on the line, and quite possibly impacting on early morning services.

I'm sorry I couldn't provide a more satisfactory response, but please feel free to email back if you have any further questions or comments.

With best wishes,

Nick Cooper
Customer Panel member for Hereford to Hanborough

Thank you for your reply - apologies it has taken me a while to get back to you.

The problem really lies with the timetable being considerably out of FGW's control, especially with respect to nighttime services, as I said in my last email. Even if a later train could go as far as Charlbury, this might then result in similar calls from people in Kingham or Moreton, continuing up the line. I'm not sure of exact demand, but it is presumably not significant enough to warrant later trains if this has not been considered before; I do take your point that consultation on the issue has not been made.

Again, my apologies that my reply could not be more satisfying for you! FGW have, of course, been made aware of your email and we shall see what the future holds; however, for now, it seems that no plans are even being considered to extend services beyond their current capacity.

Best wishes,

Nick Cooper
Customer Panel member, Hereford to Hanborough

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.