Butcher closure

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 12 Oct 2006, 21:37

Jon - I assume that your criticisms are largely aimed at me and Igor. I'm sure Igor is quite capable of defending himself but I'd like to respond to your comments. I think it is the first time I've ever been referred to as either a yob, a mugger or testosterone-fuelled - anyone who knows me well will know how ludicrous those accusations are. It is only the second time in my life that I have ever been described as "middle class": I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. I would ask you to retract that comment please because I have certainly never considered myself to be middle class. I wonder how you arrived at the conclusion that I am middle class anyway? I thought I was being a bit glib and naughty earlier on in this thread when I characterized the bulk of John Brain's clientele as middle class but at least that judgement was based on observation of people's dress, accent, manner, body language, etc., which does give one some clues at least. As you don't know me at all how do you presume to know to which social class I belong? Do you assume that as I can type and use a computer I must be middle class? Isn't that a bit insulting to anyone who isn't? As for "ordinary people" being excluded from a website such as this one, I consider myself to be very ordinary indeed and I've not been excluded from this forum (yet). What is extraordinary about switching on a computer, connecting to the Internet and typing in a few sentences? The thought of Charlbury residents being intimidated from contributing to this forum by the prospect of being mugged by "cyber-bullies" such as Igor and myself is really too laughable for words. If you look back you will see that the only people we were having a go at was each other, no-one else, and I think we've resolved that now anyway. Our good-natured chaffing shouldn't detract from the fact that both Igor and I have made a lot of constructive comments in this thread about John Brain's closure and the future of small shops in Charlbury in general. I was in John's shop this morning buying some of his last-ever sausages and I shopped there yesterday too. I think that entitles me to contribute to this discussion; if my views are taken to be too rude, aggressive, incendiary or whatever then I'm sure Richard will delete them or ban me from the site or whatever. He hasn't done yet and until that day I will continue to express my views on topics of concern to me. Thank you.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.