Be seen and be safe

Wendy Bailey
👍 3

Thu 8 Dec 2022, 09:46

A serious issue so easily sorted........

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Wed 7 Dec 2022, 19:40

Such a serious matter, Helen. 

Helen Josephine Wright
👍 4

Wed 7 Dec 2022, 17:06

I keep seeing both cyclists & pedestrians all dressed in black &/or dark grey & worry I have not spotted them until very close.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 6

Sun 4 Dec 2022, 18:33

Some years ago I was driving home, in the winter, through Chipping Norton, heading home via the  roundabout by the primary school, and just before the Fire Station. There is pedestrian crossing there, too close to the roundabout in my opinion.

The weather conditions were terrible, rain lashing down onto the windscreen, extremely poor visibility. I was driving very carefully, because my job involved producing training materials and journals for senior fire officers, and I knew far too much already about road traffic incidents. I'm telling this story because that night I cold have easily killed one, and possibly two, people. Two women wearing flapping black raincoats appeared right in front of me, on the crossing, both almost invisible in those conditions, and neither wearing any form of reflective band. In that split second I realised they were not going to take any emergency measures to either hold back for a moment or run. I veered away in time. I pulled to the side, put my flashers on, put the window down, and they started to yell at me. Our right of way, etc… Technically speaking yes, practically, debatable. I shouted out to explain that that they were invisible, and that it was impossible to see them without them wearing anything reflective. I pleaded with them both to get safety bands, or anything bright. They both continued to scream abuse at me, blaming me, swearing at me. I knew I could have killed them both. Would I have been sent down for manslaughter if I had?

Hans Eriksson
👍 4

Sun 4 Dec 2022, 11:56

Noone goes out in the winter darkness in Scandinavia without a reflector band attached to their clothing. I am amazed this is not done here.

This is a minimum https://www.wiggle.co.uk/bookman-magnetic-clip-on-reflectors

Wendy Bailey
👍 5

Sat 3 Dec 2022, 17:00

Could that also be applied to cyclists, and skateboarders. I know the car driver would get blamed if an incident happened, so we should all take responsibility for our safety. 

Phil Morgan
👍 15

Fri 2 Dec 2022, 15:02

As darkness now arrives at about 4pm, can I urge pedestrians on Charlbury's narrow streets to wear something light or bright while out walking after sundown. 

We have limited street lighting and many parts of town are mostly unlit (Poole's Lane, Hixet Wood, Woodstock Road).

I often drive after dark and, although observant of speed limits and having good vision, I have frequently been surprised by people walking in the road dressed entirely in black.

A flourescent arm or ankle band gives a vital early warning to the driver. Better safe than sorry!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.