The Bell - Greene King sign coming down!! (Debate)

James Norris
👍 3

Thu 8 Dec 2022, 09:42

Better than vacant though. A popular, yet expensive gastro pub would provide lots of additional opportunities. Somebody could open a store selling Cotswold based products at massive mark up, like everywhere else with a bit of tourist traffic does, for example.

As an aside, well done to the new owners of The Bull. Pints at reasonable prices, excellent food, lovely warm and welcoming feeling to to (even if you do end up smelling of fire every time).

Charlie M
👍 4

Sat 12 Nov 2022, 11:48

IMHO, "a top end gastro pub" is exactly what the Charlbury "man in the street" does *not* need. Maybe others will feel differently, but I would like to see The Bell return to what it did *so* well before ... providing decent honest food and drink at a reasonable price. I must have last used it about three or so years ago, when I took musician friends from the USA who were here on tour for a meal there. They loved it. And so did I!

Mark Sulik
👍

Sat 12 Nov 2022, 10:38

Is the Bell classified as a Hotel , or a Public House ? 

Tim Gosling
👍 9

Fri 11 Nov 2022, 18:51 (last edited on Fri 11 Nov 2022, 18:51)

The Bell, quite an emotive subject.

Whatever your memories of the Bell, good, bad or mediocre, one thing is certain, I have never seen a pub turn over landlords as frequently. The pub could be profitable with the right manager, but with a crumbling structure it is a bit of a gamble to take it on. For those who have lived in Charlbury a long period of time, you will no doubt remember the framed anecdote on the wall when JRR Tolkien considered buying the pub and was put off by the landlord as it was unprofitable.

If the Bamford's have indeed bought the pub then you can expect a top end gastro pub a little like the Fox or the Wild Rabbit. Do not expect it to be like the Bell of old, it will be an expensive rival to the Bull but with more accommodation. It has a great deal of potential but only for someone with a very deep pocket ready for someone to throw a lot of money at it. I cannot imagine that they will convert it into residential accommodation. If that was going to generate a profit then Green King would have done it years ago.

So, my view, pub will be redeveloped with more accommodation but the pub that you get at the end might not suit all of the local inhabitants, but it will perfectly suit some.

Chris Tatton
👍 6

Thu 10 Nov 2022, 09:34

Presumably  the new owners of the Bell Hotel will communicate through the Charlbury Town Council, or through this web site their plans for this fantastic Hotel, so that the Community can rally behind this exciting venture. 

Hans Eriksson
👍 5

Thu 10 Nov 2022, 09:18 (last edited on Thu 10 Nov 2022, 10:18)

Such a beautiful building. I hope it stays as a pub.

James Norris
👍 4

Thu 10 Nov 2022, 01:07

Typical dick measuring comps over who has lived here the longest. 😂 Hint: Nobody cares.

…I’ve been here 49 years. The place is as good as its last iteration, everything that went before it is irrelevant. The last version was dreadful. Yes it would be better as a successful, quality pub, to do that will require huge investment and a plan to recoup it (fully anticipate you’ll all moan about being priced out). Regardless, the comment was housing would be better than vacant, not better than a return to former glories.

Matthew Greenfield
👍 7

Wed 9 Nov 2022, 22:21

Definitely would be better have have the Bell back up and running rather than a housing development in the centre of town. From what I understand, the reason the Bell struggled in recent years (and there were so many changes of management) was because Greene King were such terrible landlords. Weren't they often referred to as Greed King?

The more pubs the merrier and, with potentially two additional restaurants opening in the centre, it could bring (even) more life to the town especially in the evening. It would also give us more opportunity to complain about the parking (let's hope the new Bell, if it happens, keeps the car park!). 

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 10

Wed 9 Nov 2022, 20:55

I echo what Chris and Deborah have said and I’ve been here 39 years! In fact our first night in Charlbury was spent in the Bell at Charlbury as it was known then!  I have seen many people come and go at the Bell, including David Jackson, Carlos, Mike & Murray and Fergus to name but a few.  Let’s hope that an owner can be found who won’t demolish it and that it can continue to flourish as it has done.

Deborah Longshaw
👍 12

Wed 9 Nov 2022, 19:54

Dear James, 
It is patently obvious that you have not resided in Charlbury for any great length of time. I think I can just about call myself a “Charlbrerian (?)’ having lived here for the best part of 28 years. I also think I can make a comment in regards to ‘The Bell’, due to the fact that I also worked there for quite a while (during the ‘Tate’ years). It is a wonderful pub and yes the quality of the food had fluctuated over the years but it has always welcomed the ‘locals and never, ever pretended to be anything it was - a good old fashioned pub. For it to be either demolished and turned into housing would simply be sacrilegious, since it is quite old (and right now we appear to be loosing a lot of our heritage to housing).  There is also many a tale linked to it and rumour has it that the ‘accommodation block/function room’ out the back is haunted! 
Yes we have other pubs and these pubs all manage to co-exist together and cater for the growing population. At times like these we need these establishments, which bring people together and create a community. Yes, we also need houses but Charlbury is stretched as it is catering for the population we already have. I, for one, am desperately hoping that there is a saviour on the horizon who will finally get this old lady back up and running the way she should be!

Charlie M
👍 13

Wed 9 Nov 2022, 18:32

Mister Norris, thank you for your kind introduction (?) to the hostelries of Charlbury. Judging by your description of The Bell, you have obviously not used it in the last ten years or so; and I have lived here for nearly 27 years, so I don't think I need any additional help, thanks all the same.

James Norris
👍 2

Wed 9 Nov 2022, 17:59 (last edited on Wed 9 Nov 2022, 18:02)

Well it kind of has diminished, otherwise it would still be kept on by Greene King. Let’s not make out it was anything amazing; the food distinctly average and drinks selection basic high street.

‘The other establishment’ and ‘non-high falutin’ sound very sneery. The Rose & Crown covers that for those who want a simple boozer. The Bull is (and has been through various iterations, including the last) a much better pub than The Bell. It’s opening officially under new owners tonight, I hope it gets fully supported.

Charlie M
👍 11

Wed 9 Nov 2022, 16:44

Well I agree with Chris totally. The Bell occupied a special place, being - as it was - a non high-falutin establishment which was generally liked across the board. 

The fact that it is "a vacant building in a key location" does not mean that the need for its previous function has diminished. 

Quite the reverse, in fact, given how much the other establishment has changed since the wonderful days of The Flynns.

James Norris
👍 7

Wed 9 Nov 2022, 07:46 (last edited on Wed 9 Nov 2022, 07:47)

Chris, you’d have a point if:

a) there weren’t already three other pubs, one which has rooms

b) two campsites

c) shops

d) additional housing wasn’t needed

e) I hadn’t clearly stated that was a better alternative to the current situation, which is a vacant building in a key location, as it has been for approaching two years.

On reflection it seems you don’t have a point after all.

Matt Bullock
👍 5

Tue 8 Nov 2022, 09:52

There is no way we should tolerate a bona fide purchaser who operates pubs and hotels (Lionhearth) to be gazumped by someone who doesn't intend to use the Bell as a hotel/pub. It will be interesting to see the new purchaser's intentions.

Chris Tatton
👍 7

Tue 8 Nov 2022, 09:37 (last edited on Tue 8 Nov 2022, 10:16)

Charlbury will be just one big housing estate, if it doesn’t also have services, shops, hotels, pubs, camp sites and jobs. Is that what you want for Charlbury James, just housing?

James Norris
👍 1

Tue 8 Nov 2022, 09:21

I don’t know, Chris. However the one word response from the chair seems fairly conclusive.

Even if for housing, better than sitting vacant. Additional housing is certainly needed.

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Tue 8 Nov 2022, 07:49

Chris, I am not aware of any formal confirmation of who the purchasers are.  We only know that Lionhearth Group is no longer purchasing The Bell.

Chris Tatton
👍 3

Tue 8 Nov 2022, 07:45

James, has the Town Council been officially informed of this purchase and by who? Has it been purchased to run as a hotel or developed for housing? Just unsubstantiated rumour at the moment. 

James Norris
👍 1

Tue 8 Nov 2022, 07:03

Given the TC Chair has confirmed who the buyer is down the thread you can probably stop speculating on who the buyer is. The Wild Rabbit and Daylesford restaurants are all excellent, but will mean we have two places with £6-7 pints and £20+ mains. 

Chris Arnold
👍 1

Mon 7 Nov 2022, 14:19

Thought it probably was - it was the privately owned bit that I wondered about

Chris Tatton
👍 7

Mon 7 Nov 2022, 10:17 (last edited on Mon 7 Nov 2022, 11:55)

I Think Gareth is spot on to suggest that another asset of community value listing should be sort as soon as possible. 

Currently all this talk of who being gazumped or speculation as to possible new owners, are exactly that, speculation. No one has come forward with a concrete business plan to establish this as a successful hotel once again, well as far as I’m aware. The new buyer might just want to purchase the site for yet more executive housing, like the site nearby. 

If the town wants to protect the Bell as a successful hotel once more, an asset of community value listing as soon as possible is vital. 

Liz Reason
👍

Sun 6 Nov 2022, 12:46

Bamfords.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Sun 6 Nov 2022, 08:33

That’s just the old listing - people are not usually very good at removing their listings when they stop running something. 

I wouldn’t call it advertising, that would imply I get paid for it 😉

Chris Arnold
👍

Sun 6 Nov 2022, 01:17

So who is currently advertising on the website under the 'stay' tab? It says

Privately owned 18th century hotel, offering comfortable accommodation and an imaginative A La Carte menu, served 7-days a week. Private function rooms available for hire.

Kim Harrison
👍 2

Sat 5 Nov 2022, 16:09

It’s been sold. 

Tim Yates
👍 4

Sat 5 Nov 2022, 13:35

Bamfords, I’ve heard….

Mark Sulik
👍

Sat 5 Nov 2022, 11:57

Mr Clarkson ? Anyone offering odds . Not an uncommon practice for a bidder to pull out to. Leave a mystery owner , or their company / agent ?

Gareth Epps
👍 6

Thu 3 Nov 2022, 19:54

Unfortunately the Lionhearth Group is no longer purchasing The Bell.  Another offer has come in; reading between the lines, it appears they were gazumped.

This is of great concern and in order to protect against any potential change of use application, the Town Council will discuss resubmitting the Asset of Community Value nomination at this month's meeting.  Whoever the interested buyer is, they have not chosen to come forward.

So while the departure of the Greedy Kerching sign is welcome, we should be wary.

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 3 Nov 2022, 18:42

That appears to be the case but the rumour is that there was another interested buyer.  Don't know any more than that right now

Suzy M-H
👍

Thu 3 Nov 2022, 18:40

Does this mean the Lionhearth Group (as posted in News) is no longer buying The Bell? 

Kim Harrison
👍

Thu 3 Nov 2022, 17:17

Chris. Yes. 

Chris Tatton
👍

Thu 3 Nov 2022, 15:54

Any truth to the rumours that the Gallagher proposal to buy the Bell hotel has fallen through? 

Kim Harrison
👍 4

Thu 3 Nov 2022, 14:36

Contractors today are taking down the Greene King Sign on The Bell ...........

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.