Call for a General Election ? (Debate)

Alice Brander
👍 3

Sat 17 Dec 2022, 11:13

The Conservative Party's new Environment Act:  "Defra has set long-term targets for species abundance that lack not only ambition but an understanding of the jeopardy of the situation that we are facing." RSPB CEO.  

Another Conservative election promise broken.

Alice Brander
👍 7

Tue 13 Dec 2022, 21:57

The Conservative MP for Windsor owes his company His Majesty’s Revenue & Customs £1 million in unpaid tax, yet he plans to carry on representing his Constituency until the next election.  Which other job allows you to fraudulently deny the Company of £1m and still allows you to continue working for them?  

Alice Brander
👍 7

Thu 20 Oct 2022, 14:19

The last but one PM cost the country 4 or 5% lost GDP (Brexit) and built up huge debts at low interest rates (pandemic economic support).  The last PM crashed the pensions providers and undermined market confidence reducing the value of the £ in our pockets and hugely increasing the cost of our debt.

We will have to start paying it all back.  Just like we did when the financial services crashed the banking system in 2008. In these disastrous circumstances wouldn’t it be right to demand a coalition government which properly represents the 4 nations of the UK?

Alice Brander
👍 10

Tue 18 Oct 2022, 17:41

Which other job allows a person to continue in post after loosing the company £60 billion? 

Can we survive the financial mismanagement of Conservatives anymore?  Certainly it started with Brexit and just continues to get worse. Surely we’ve nearly reached the point as a society where so many of us have lost so much that the apathy turns into anger.  It’s a pity that our systems don’t protect against that.

Matthew Greenfield
👍 12

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 17:36 (last edited on Mon 17 Oct 2022, 17:38)

Realistically only Conservative MPs can call a general election and sadly in this case turkeys don’t vote for Christmas. However, that should not stop anyone putting pressure on the government by any (legal) means available.

I'm not sure it is entirely fair to blame the “British people” when the narrative over the last 20 years or so has been twisted by the right-wing press, vested interests and ideologues. Also, 43% voted Tory in the last election (on a turnout of 67%) so lots of people didn't vote for this government. The electoral system is not fit for purpose unfortunately and partly why we now in this mess.

To keep this this thread relevant to Charlbury there is one local man we can blame for _starting_ all this mess. It was the one who in 2015 said “Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband”!

Charlie M
👍 4

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 11:21

Vicky, for me the last few years have shown me that either (most of) the British people are too apathetic to do anything about being abused by the government in so many different ways (their sabotage of the NHS and their new anti-demonstration legislation being two examples), or that they truly do not care. 

Frankly, I am not sure which is worse.

Claire Wilding
👍 4

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 09:23 (last edited on Thu 11 Jan, 16:04)

vicky burton
👍 5

Mon 17 Oct 2022, 08:38

Is there any way that the people of the UK can demand a general and local elections? I don't know ANYONE who is content with the current leadership. Obviously no point contacting the local MP on this!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.