So what are we doing for Ukraine? (Debate)

Liz Reason
👍 4

Tue 22 Mar 2022, 19:39

The town council has asked Charlbury Refugee Action Group to attend our meeting on 28th March at 20.30.  We want to see what the council can do to help.

vicky burton
👍 4

Mon 21 Mar 2022, 11:22

I've just sent this message to West Oxfordshire District Council in view of the long-vacant properties that we know of: 

I understand that under The Housing Act 2004, West Oxfordshire District Council have the authority to issue a compulsory purchase order on long-vacant property if they are deemed to be falling in to a state of disrepair or causing a nuisance.

In light of the current housing crisis and immoral practice of owning property purely as an investment - without letting it out or GENUINELY repairing it to sell or rent in an appropriate time-frame,

I wish to formally make the appropriate department aware of several properties that I personally know of that fall under these categories in West Oxfordshire.

I look forward to hearing from you

James Norris
👍 2

Wed 16 Mar 2022, 14:23

Good shout, Vicky. You could fit half of Kiev in that place, it’s like a tardis.

Amanda Epps
👍 8

Wed 16 Mar 2022, 10:58

What about lobbying any second home owners residents know to make their under used properties available for refugees?

vicky burton
👍

Wed 16 Mar 2022, 10:49

Alas The Old Farm House in Sheep St appears to have finally been sold although no signs of habitation are evident.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 16 Mar 2022, 08:20

This is going off the main subject of what people can realistically do to help Ukraine right now so I’ve moved it into a separate thread.

James Norris
👍 2

Wed 16 Mar 2022, 07:59 (last edited on Wed 16 Mar 2022, 08:01)

They could be repurposed for longer term living. We don’t really need *checks notes* CofE, Catholic, Methodist, Quaker House* in a small place of 4,000 people. Share one place, same flavour, just different branding.

Like the Methodist church in Chadlington, you could split them into 3 or 4 bed places. 

John Partington
👍 4

Wed 16 Mar 2022, 07:23 (last edited on Wed 16 Mar 2022, 07:43)

Churches already do this sort of thing, but are really only suitable as very short-term refuges, or as night-shelters. Most churches are part of a local contingency plan, for flooding etc or as mass casualty stations. When a previous church that I worked for brought over a coach-load of Bosnian refugees we used a school as the clearing station for a couple of days (much warmer, and with better toilets!) before welcoming them as longer-term guests in our homes.

(We could do the same again, but visa regulations make it impossible! The first step is to agitate for Ukrainians to be allowed into this country more freely.)

James Norris
👍 2

Tue 15 Mar 2022, 23:42 (last edited on Tue 15 Mar 2022, 23:44)

The Bell is reopening as a pub soon, doubt the new owners will be handing over the keys.

What about using some of the churches and shifting all those who want to go into one church (whichever is largest)? Aren’t there 4 or 5 sitting empty most 99% of the time? There’s hardly anybody who goes these days and it’s all the basically the same thing anyway. Can take it in turns each week to have their guy up the front.

vicky burton
👍 1

Tue 15 Mar 2022, 20:51

Paul you could try 01284 843200 . According to Greene King website, this is the number to call if you're interested in owning it. 

Paul J Jackson
👍 1

Fri 11 Mar 2022, 21:56

Father Clive, I emailed Greene King and have since written to their CEO to ask them. No replies as yet. If someone knows a better contact point, please share.

Father Clive Dytor
👍 5

Fri 11 Mar 2022, 20:22

I am really not interested in scoring political points but want to know…can The Bell be used for these poor suffering people?

Mandy cooper
👍 1

Fri 11 Mar 2022, 19:46

Apparently it’s got new owners and will be re opening in June. 

Father Clive Dytor
👍 2

Fri 11 Mar 2022, 19:33

Today, chatting in Church street, someone suggested that The Bell would be an ideal place for some poor people from Ukraine to shelter until the war is over. Does anyone know what is happening with it? I have heard whispers about potential buyers but nothing definite.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.