Is OCC Going Vegan? (Debate)

Helen Chapman
👍 9

Sat 19 Mar 2022, 10:11

Similarly, on a small scale, my work provides a hot lunch for those who want it once a week - it's been totally vegetarian for a few years now. No-one up in arms or going to the paper about it... really not very controversial.

Katie Ewer
👍 13

Fri 18 Mar 2022, 09:18

Oxford Uni has been running their catering as vegetarian by default for some time now for environmental reasons. It's actually very popular. If you prefer meat, then you can bring your own lunch, but most people are happy to have a non-meat meal in the middle of the day.

Charlie M
👍 3

Thu 17 Mar 2022, 11:04

Liz, I hope you are not suggesting that I associate with Conservative councillors! 
In the words of John Martyn, "I'd rather be the devil"!

Liz Leffman
👍 18

Wed 16 Mar 2022, 08:31 (last edited on Wed 16 Mar 2022, 08:33)

Councillors voted to serve plant-based food for themselves at their full council meetings which happen 6 or 7 times a year, and to introduce a plant-based option onto school menus.   No-one is forcing any-one to "go vegan" and staff are free to eat what they want.  This has been whipped up by a Conservative councillor who didn't like the idea and has persuaded his local farmers that we are forcing vegan food on everyone and then Jeremy Clarkson got involved. I am not vegetarian or vegan but like many people I recognise that for our health and the health of the planet, we need to cut down the amount of meat we eat. I had quite a civilised chat with Clarkson yesterday, actually, and explained that we will be sourcing the food locally. He was quite happy with that explanation but of course he does have a media image to maintain!

Charlie M
👍

Tue 15 Mar 2022, 22:46

It is, according to the local news tonight.

What a very uncaring, moralistic and high-handed attitude. I hope that the local news has got it wrong, because otherwise OCC are going to be the laughing stock of the country! It is not often that I will agree with the likes of Jeremy Clarkson, but even if he disagrees with this ridiculous decision just for his personal business reasons, I have to stand with him on this.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.