Dog Mess - Again :-( (Debate)

Gordon Clemson
👍 12

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 15:19

Gill. I think you comments are very valid, however there are already polite notices at every entrance to Nine Acres by Order of the Town Council.

The list asking that dogs remain on leads ..... not happening and Owners are responsible for picking up any mess left by their animal... also not happening in every case.

Why do some dog owners/ walkers think that the requests don't apply to them and their 'well behaved, in control' dog !?

Just seen 2 dog walkers in the Wigwell walking their 3 dogs , 2 on leads but the third running after the sheep in the field which are now in lamb and this could cause the sheep to abhort through stress, what is the matter with people and their 'common sense'

Why walk through a field with dogs when there are sheep there in the first place ?

Gill Begnor
👍 6

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 09:39

Well, in the midst of all this lively debate, I took my dog for a walk in the field alongside Hundley Way today and was amazed by the difference - I didn't see a single poo! 

It has been suggested that the problem is caused by people who let their dogs into the field to poo, not realising it is a popular dog walking area - which makes sense, as the vast majority of the mess is in the area just inside the gate. Therefore maybe a polite notice on the gate asking people to pick up their dog's mess, as this is a popular area for walkers (by kind permission of the farmer) would help keep it clean.

Anyway, I just wanted to say a big thank-you to whoever has helped with the clear-up - hoping it was someone who reads this :-)

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 08:58 (last edited on Fri 28 Jan 2022, 09:09)

A problem identified 48 years ago and still exactly the same. That is the issue.

Pauline Eagling
👍 7

Thu 27 Jan 2022, 22:41 (last edited on Thu 27 Jan 2022, 22:43)

Rosemary, nobody is bullying or vilifying you, could it be that we disagree with your suggestions and comments.  Yes we take our dogs for a walk in the morning, lunchtime, or whenever and probably they will go sometime during that walk however NOBODY cannot train a dog to do its business on command and to even suggest that is quite ludicrous.

As for your comment to train them to go in the back yard, did it occur to you that some people may not have a back yard.  Back yard or no back yard, dogs do their business on a walk, a natural process and as I’ve said numerous times, responsible dog owners pick up their dogs business.  You are criticising ALL dog owners whereas you should be focusing your attention on SOME and the ones who are constantly breaking the law and have a total disregard for others.  

You clearly do not like dogs and once again may I point out there are many cats in the area which are not house cats, they do their business wherever with no one to pick up after them. What do you suggest, put them on house arrest too?  

The areas mentioned in this thread are not where I walk my dog so I cannot comment but my dog never runs free nor does it climb over childrens play areas but walks slowly round the town.  I, like many others are doing the same and we are doing what we should be doing, you just have to look in the bins to see this.  

No matter how much you protest, you will never stop people from having a dog and walking it in a public area.  Even if you take your dog to fields nearby you still have to walk around built up areas to get home. I do not expect you to understand why people choose to have dogs or cats as pets but I can assure you many have reasons and to which I hope you will never have to go through.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 2

Thu 27 Jan 2022, 18:31

I still can’t see why I was vilified for suggesting an obviously extremely simple solution. What is wrong with the logic of just not taking a dog out for a WALK in a public area until it has been trained to deposit their excrement in their own back yard?

Let’s face it, dogs are trainable. There really is no excuse. The fact that the council sees fit to pander to this filthy habit, with great big poo bins everywhere now, is rather disgusting. I’m not interested in arguing this fact.

This problem will never go away until all dog owners take full responsibility.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Wed 26 Jan 2022, 20:19

Another egregious example of fouling in the middle of the twitter between The Green and Hundley way. Obviously a quite unusually large dog with a massive deposit of droppings totally conspicuous. We cleared up as usual. Its almost every day we clean up after someone whose left a pile in a particularly high "risk" position.

Its one thing when your dog runs off a hundred plus yards away into Clarke's field where the mess can be very hard to find, and unless its in the area of the sled-toboggan slope (if we ever have any snow again) then we try and find it, but if well off any of the major trackways people follow along must confess to often leaving them as they are so hard to spot. 

The most annoying is to step into the field around the swinging gate and nearly step in a deposit left just there, where someone is almost bound to put a foot in it sometime.

And it does seem to be the same dogs all the time, to.

Leah Fowler
👍 7

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 17:35 (last edited on Tue 25 Jan 2022, 17:36)

My son aged seven reported the dogs mess on the football pitches to the town council 48 years ago, The next item on the agenda happened to be could the circus bring elephants to Nine Acres ! 

vicky burton
👍 2

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 10:04 (last edited on Thu 27 Jan 2022, 10:23)

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 09:02

Mr Darnell - you suggested 'we should consider banning all people from Nine Acres, on the basis that some irresponsible people drop litter'.  Those are your exact words, in a thread about dog mess.

We can all draw our own conclusions about what you said, and the almost opposite statement you have just made.  Meanwhile we continue to consider sensible solutions for removing dog excrement from Nine Acres.

Steve Darnell
👍 5

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 08:54

I do not want this to turn into an argument, but I must reply to Mr Epps’ comment. I did not say that ‘leaving toxic excrement around is no worse than leaving litter.’ In my view both are unacceptable, and there is no need for either if people were considerate.

My point was that banning all dog owners from Nine Acres because there are some irresponsible people around is akin to banning all people due to some irresponsible people leaving litter. Both options, in my view, would be unfair to the majority.

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 08:33

There are people saying dog owners should continue to get away with leaving potentially toxic excrement on a football field prior to a children’s football match, and saying leaving toxic excrement around a play park is no worse than leaving litter.

But no - calling out inconsiderate behaviour is apparently what’s abusive and aggressive.

A bit like calling out the irresponsible individuals who let their dogs run loose on Nine Acres, or the bloke who recently encouraged his dog to run all over the play equipment.  By the same token, nobody would ask them to obey the rules either.  I mean, that’s the logic, isn’t it?

This thread does not portray dog owners in a very positive light.

Harriet Baldwin
👍 2

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 08:17

I don't think anyone has suggested it's ok Gareth, but you are making aggressive comments for no reason, other than that perhaps you've misunderstood what was someone said. 

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 07:38 (last edited on Tue 25 Jan 2022, 07:47)

Harriet - perhaps people should simply cease to make ridiculous statements here that suggest there is nothing wrong with dumping dog faeces in public places.

There is no abuse here, only justified criticism of a minority of utterly irresponsible people who cause problems for others.  It is not OK for people to leave excrement on a football pitch before a children’s match, nor is it OK to dump it on someone’s doorstep (indeed, that is arguably criminal damage).

Harriet Baldwin
👍 7

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 05:42

After Gareth's comment can this go in the debate section? Suggesting someone can't tell the difference between litter and dog mess is akin to rosemarys suggestion that there is verbal abuse.

James Styring
👍

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 23:12

I agree, Gill. I live on Hundley Way and regularly walk my dog in the field when it's open. There is a preponderance of dog poo near the gate at the town end (the rest of the field is pretty much poo-free). I guess that the owner(s) of the dog that's doing this thinks it's a wild poo zone. However, the field is popular and busy when it's open, and the dog poo means you have to keep your eyes peeled when you're in the poo-zone. I have wondered about erecting a sign as well, within the field. But, as Stewart says, it's Ditchley's field. I will try to speak to Bob Hobill, who farms the land, to see what he suggests. The last thing we want is for the poo problem to lead Ditchley to lock the gate.

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 22:19

Mr Darnell - I assume your career choices were in line with your inability to distinguish litter and faeces.

Gill Begnor
👍 3

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 21:21

Verbal abuse and bullying - really?! I just can't get my head round why people think it's too much trouble to pick up their own dog mess. It gets us responsible owners a bad name and ruins the lovely area around Charlbury that we could all enjoy walking in. It's really simple - get dog poo bags, pick up your dog's poo, put it in the bin right next to the gate into the field! And also, if you are/know one of the people who think it's OK not to do this, let us know why so we can have a grown-up conversation about it.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 19:20

How would you ban dogs from nine acres? If you prohibit day time walking presumably in the hope that other users will report any dog owners breaking the ban, then you'll just move the problem to night time. 

Steve Darnell
👍 5

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 19:05

Perhaps we should consider banning all people from Nine Acres, on the basis that some irresponsible people drop litter, particularly in the children’s play area. I often pick up litter when walking my well behaved dog. 

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 17:32

It is possible to consider a total ban on dogs in Nine Acres and other sensitive locations, if people are so irresponsible.

This would penalise more responsible dog owners, but would benefit children and other users of Nine Acres - a more vulnerable and more numerous group.

Katie Ewer
👍 7

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 15:22

Someone had let their dog foul actually on one of the football pitches on Nineacres on Saturday morning, just as all the kids matches and training were getting underway. It's truly disgusting, but if you're the sort of person who is prepared to let their dog do that in the first place, then I doubt that reading people's gripes about it on here will change their behaviour.

Pauline Eagling
👍 9

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 15:17

Rosemary I have not seen any bullying on this subject but people posting common sense. Suggesting dogs go to the toilet in a litter tray in the home is not common sense as suggested in one of your previous posts.  Respecting the area by picking up your dogs business and placing in the bins provided is following the law and what all owners should be doing.

I walk my dog albeit not in the area mentioned above, and can assure you I am heavily armed with bags as many responsible owners are too.  It is a matter of respect and if this situation continues in the mentioned area then someone should report it to the respective authorities.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 14:10

I have suggested a solution for this previously.

There are some people using the forum who would rather verbally abuse and attempt to bully others than actually try to solve the problem.

Stewart Moss
👍 6

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 19:35

Thanks Gill for your post, considerate & kind actions.  
It’s Ditchley’s field used for sheep & cattle (not a dog toilet) and the numbers of people coming to leave their dog crap in there currently is astonishing.  Several times mess in the lane outside houses too. And increasingly, lazy dog owners bringing cars up the lane (a bridleway) unnecessarily and parking in front of residents houses, turning in driveways etc.   
It was way more peaceful years ago :(

William Glasbury
👍 3

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 18:13

Someone allowed their dog to use our doorstep the other day. I can just about get my head around people thinking that poos in the wild might be acceptable but someone’s actual doorstep. People are revolting. 

Gill Begnor
👍 1

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 17:56

If I spot anyone I'll get a photo! However, there is so much poo in the field that you need to watch where you're putting your feet the whole time so it's hard to keep an eye out for offenders!

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 13:53

Any information about the identity of those causing the irresponsible activity needs to be passed to the District Councillors and/or Town Clerk, to help with enforcement.

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 10:49

It's so inconsiderate.  There are many dog poo bins in the Town now.

The other day I took a friend for a walk in Cornbury park and he asked me why there were bags of dog poo on the railway bridge!  I didn't have an answer...

Gill Begnor
👍 1

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 10:32

It seems to be the only thing I post about - but I really can't get my head around why so many Charlbury dog owners have such an irresponsible attitude towards this. My latest gripe is the field alongside Hundley Way, which has become such a mess that I've had to stop walking my dog there. In the last 2 weeks I've had to wash my boots twice and shower my dog after we both stepped in it.

I did start picking up other people's dog mess as well as my own dog's - but I came back with 4 full bags the other day and I was late for work! Also the problem is getting worse and there's too much now for me to tackle on my own.

Does anyone know the people who seem to think this is acceptable and what we can do about it? I've considered putting a sign on the gate asking people to clear up after their dogs - but it would be right next to the dog poo bin which they are clearly already ignoring!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.