Bee bricks (Debate)

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 1

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 17:35

One of the criticisms was that the holes weren't deep enough. The other was disease - fungi, bacteria etc - build up, but this was seen as not a problem by most entomologists when I read about a little other people's thought on the issue. Bees have been housecleaning newly adopted nests for a few tens of millions of years anyway, and secondly, with enough holes to go around, idle times between nesting are going to reduce the pathogen load a lot. The argument being that on balance bee-bricks were a big plus for burrowing bees, and the more holes the better as this leaves enough fallow sites for the disease problem to go away. As with most things nature conservancy, doing half-a**** implementations can be worse than nothing and bee-brick greenwashing needs to be shunned.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 22 Jan 2022, 13:35 (last edited on Sat 22 Jan 2022, 13:38)

Thanks Christine.

The Guardian article has opposing views.

I passed this by a local beekeeper who thought it was a great idea. 

But what would I know?!

Hannen.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Sat 22 Jan 2022, 13:28

An article in The Guardian claims that these bricks may do more harm than good: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/18/brighton-bee-bricks-initiative-may-do-more-harm-than-good-say-scientists

I think we do quite well for bees in this area -- certainly in comparison to many other places in the UK and Ireland. I'm not sure I think that this is something for WODC to insist on. 

What's much more important is making sure the ban on harmful pesticides that was weakened after Brexit is once again strengthened: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/09/pesticide-believed-kill-bees-authorised-use-england-eu-farmers.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 22 Jan 2022, 12:38

Brighton and Hove have now made these mandatory for all new builds.

WODC?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.