Is it just me....

John Larder
👍

Thu 22 Jan 2009, 21:59

Warning - cycling related message.

Living in the Loire Valley in France it has been interesting to watch the development locally of a new cycle route that will follow the Loire from St Nazaire and will eventually cross Europe to the Black Sea following a lot of the major rivers. Some of the guests to our gites have followed part of the cycle route.

Last summer was the 70th running of the 'Semaine Federale' or 'Cycling Week' and it was held in Saumur. For a week thousands of cyclists descended on Saumur which was the chosen location that year and each day a different route was mapped out for them to ride so they got to see a large amount of the attractions in this area.

When I worked in Maastricht in Holland I was able to see the Amstel Gold one day classic a few times and also rode some of the route on my bike - those of you who think Holland is flat need to see that area of Holland, it made cycling up Finstock Hill as a youngster seem a doddle - and obviously we have been able to watch the Tour de France nearby a couple of times and the Paris-Tours classic as Tours is nearby.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 15 Jan 2009, 10:13

It's noticeable (and reassuring) that the day-to-day postings have started again: solicitors, logs, and piano teachers! When the infernos were in full flame before Christmas there were markedly fewer of those, and that deprives the people of Charlbury of a useful resource.

So let's have passionate debate by all means (just not on driving and cycling quite yet) - but keep it in the Grease Pit where it doesn't put everyone else off.

David - we'll have to get you to try out the Cotswold Line Cycle Route we're planning: country lanes (and the odd bridleway) following the railway all the way from Oxford to Worcester. If nothing else the hills round Chipping Campden might make you hanker for that big 4x4 engine again!

Dave Oates
👍

Wed 14 Jan 2009, 23:57

Thanks Dave. However, I have to point out that I still intend to keep driving my monster and riding my jet ski!!! (Even if I am trying to lose some weight!)

And Roger, come back wherever you are. I might not always agree with you but I always enjoy the debate.

Terry - I have not turned my coat, just bought another one for when the weather changes :-)

mandy
👍

Wed 14 Jan 2009, 22:25

you mean we are not going to have anymore debates has roger gone to he's not been on here for ages wwhat are we going to do.

David McCutcheon
👍

Wed 14 Jan 2009, 21:57

Hi David -

I believe that the main protagonist of your beloved 'debate' has flown the nest in a fit of pique and moved out of town.

Personally I'll miss Igor. He talked a lot of sense. When he wasn't talking nonsense.

As a keen cyclist for 35 yrs or so, I'm interested in your recent purchase - Mountain Bike? Road Bike? Hybrid?

I look forward to seeing you spinning around town on it.

It's so refreshing to learn that a self-confessed driver of a grotesque 4x4 monster and owner of a jet-ski has moved to more sutainable means of propulsion.

Ride it!

Terry Walker
👍

Wed 14 Jan 2009, 19:30

Turncoat

Dave Oates
👍

Wed 14 Jan 2009, 19:24

Or is anyone else missing the debate? Hopefully someone will post something contentious soon!!!!!

PS I have just bought a bike so expect me to be changing sides :-)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.