A frosty Christmas for Boris? (Debate)

Alice Brander
👍 1

Tue 18 Jan 2022, 21:45

I never thought I would be thanking the House of Lords for trying to stop the worst excesses of the Conservatives' new "Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill' pushed through the Commons with no debate.   What contempt.  I know the Lords have no power and can only delay, but they stood up to them. 

Alice Brander
👍 4

Mon 17 Jan 2022, 19:01

I fear Charlie that Mrs Patel does exactly what that third of the population ask her to do.  In the face of the two-thirds of the population who have altogether more life affirming priorities but who are completely powerless.  

As Mr Johnson plumbs the depths of unpopularity with the voters he introduces another authoritarian policy to make his unpopularity greater.  Why would anyone behave like that? 

I did try to borrow "Britannia Unchained" from the Oxford Library but was away when it finally arrived after lockdown.  Has anybody else read this treatise written by Liz Truss, Dominic Raab, Kwasi Kwarteng, Chris Skidmore & Priti Patel?  In their words the UK has a "bloated state, high taxes and excessive regulation".  "The British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music."

Has anybody read this book?  I refuse to buy it but would be interested to know what more horrors are in store.

Charlie M
👍 3

Mon 17 Jan 2022, 13:02 (last edited on Mon 17 Jan 2022, 17:59)

Alice - I could not agree more.
Back in the early 1990's, I dated a lady from the old Communist East Germany. I heard many stories about life under that vile regime, particularly from her brother's wife's parents, with whom we would go to dinner whenever we were over there. 
The more I see how this government is destroying traditional British values, the nearer they approach the ways of the Honecker regime in East Germany.

Approach ... but not (yet) the same, because - thankfully - we do not have State Murder (euphemistically referred to as the Death Penalty). And yet we have a Home Secretary (Patel) who is in favour of that obscenity. 
If she ever gets her wish, the destruction of this country by the Tories will be complete.

Alice, I fear that so many in this country nowadays are of the "I'M ok ... to hell with YOU" opinion, that there is little we can do except to stop buying the right-wing press that is basically - sadly - the passport to election wins or defeats.

Alice Brander
👍 8

Mon 17 Jan 2022, 08:59

Why does Mr Johnson think that destroying the economy, the BBC, the NHS, the Courts, the right to disagree, and all the sensible rules that were there to protect us, clean air, clean water, etc. etc. will make him popular?  He and his voters don’t explain.  They are only one-third of the population.  There must be something we can do.

Chris Tatton
👍 4

Mon 20 Dec 2021, 20:17

Boris’s oven ready brexshit deal, has just been defrosted.😁

Alice Brander
👍 11

Sun 19 Dec 2021, 06:59

He whines about face masks whilst removing from all British people the greatest freedom they ever had.  To live and work freely in 32 other countries.  We need a general election now before any more damage to our economy and lives lost unnecessarily.  

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sat 18 Dec 2021, 22:13

No, he's on his way. Boris has thanked him for his work.

Charlie M
👍 1

Sat 18 Dec 2021, 21:12

Yes, but it's the Fail on Sunday, so I would not trust it further than I could expectorate, and even then they are saying that Frosty the Snowman has be "persuaded" to stay on until the new year. You could not make it up! 

Philip Ambrose
👍 2

Sat 18 Dec 2021, 20:58 (last edited on Sat 18 Dec 2021, 21:12)

Apparently the Brexit minister Lord Frost has resigned. Boris Johnson busted flush?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.