freedon of speech (Admin discussions)

David McCutcheon
👍

Thu 8 Jan 2009, 22:43

On 2nd January Richard (Site Admin) stated:
"Any discussion of cycling, driving, 4x4 snowmobiles etc. for the next fortnight WILL be deleted."

This missive may not be apparent to all, as it is somewhat hidden in the subject "Insurance Increases"

Also Igor subsequently vowed to give this forum a 'wide berth' - so expect posts addressed to him personally to pass without response.

Paul Taylor
👍

Sat 3 Jan 2009, 07:07

First I'am sorry if I have upset anyone Igor the point I was making like it or not Charlbury is a town locals get upset calling it any thing else. As Richard said there no money to spend on cycle lanes end of that debate there. And other topic kept getting turned around to speeding by your good self. Once again Igor sorry

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sat 3 Jan 2009, 05:13

Richard, I've done it again. Lost my cool and in doing so, the argument. I do feel that the debate is now proving futile as there appears to be growing mob that are centred on me personaly rather than discussing or refuting the points I make. The argument has become about me, my nationality and my personality rather than the facts I raise. The consensus is overt that I am not entitled to express my unpopular opinion about the state of road safety in Charlbury.

In contrast, although I know we don't always agree, you have been considerate enough to actually challenge my opinions respectfully; which I have appreciated.

Unfortunately, you are in a minority.

Don't worry, I'm not about to have a nervous breakdown over the inarticulate grumblings of a gaggle of grumpy old men; but I am going to give this forum a wide berth for the time being.

I'm not relinquishing my position, just focusing on more productive exchanges.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 2 Jan 2009, 21:35

This belongs on the admin board so I'm moving it.

The content of the debate is of no concern to me. I spend more time in my car than on my bike, and though I agree with Igor that Charlbury is (in comparison to other similar towns) not cycle-friendly, I suspect we disagree strongly on how to do something about it.

What I object to, strongly, is the intensely personal way in which this "debate" (if you can call it that) is being carried out. You have never met Igor and he has never met you. Neither of you know how strong a person the other is and whether they can withstand these vitriolic attacks. I have seen someone suffer a nervous breakdown directly as a result of a similar Internet flamewar. It isn't pretty.

No, you do not have unfettered freedom of speech here. No-one has ever claimed that you do. I pay for this website and spend hours on it each week and thus have the right to administer it in what I consider the interests of "wider Charlbury" - not just a few "self-opinionated" people on the forum (and you are no less opinionated than Igor - it's just that your opinions differ!). If you would like somewhere to write whatever you like, I'd strongly recommend getting your own blog, just as several Charlbury people already have. wordpress.com is a good place to start.

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 2 Jan 2009, 19:43

Some self opinionated person can carry on about motorist habits and the they drive, when we try to have a poll you lock it.
Dictionary for Muppet = puppet character fro a children's television show.
Etymology = m(arionette)+(p)uppet
we have not formed any sort of gangs since you have been gone just putting a point across
Do enjoy your holiday

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.