Homeless Afghanistan women selling the Big Issue out the Co-

David McCutcheon
👍

Thu 8 Jan 2009, 22:42

On 2nd January Richard (Site Admin) stated:
"Any discussion of cycling, driving, 4x4 snowmobiles etc. for the next fortnight WILL be deleted."

This missive may not be apparent to all, as it is somewhat hidden in the subject "Insurance Increases"

Also Igor subsequently vowed to give this forum a 'wide berth' - so expect posts addressed to him personally to pass without response.

John Larder
👍

Thu 8 Jan 2009, 22:09

Perhaps you chose the wrong topic Igor - maybe you should have asked about cycling

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 22 Dec 2008, 11:20

I made a mistake of striking up a conversation with the smiling gentleman selling copies of the Big Issue. I opened up by asking him how business was doing for him, if he was selling many copies and then mentioned that the seller were getting some attention and were a topic of discussion on this forum. He kept broadly smiling and when I finally paused, I realised he hadn't clocked a word I said.

Serves me right!

Deleted user
👍

Sun 21 Dec 2008, 18:27

We, as a family ,bought a copy of the Big Issue from this lady and are proud to do so!

Dave Oates
👍

Thu 18 Dec 2008, 22:43

Ian I agree with you 100%. The Big Issue is a fantastic opportunity for homeless people to earn some money in a legal manner. It is not purely a retail opportunity but is actually a well-run charitable organisation with the best possible motives. Homelessness and poverty is on the increase so anything that helps to alleviate the situation should be applauded. Additionally, it is also a really good read. Incidently, Charlotte's assertion that "you can be sure she was an illegal immigrant" is not only a massive assumption but also verging on the racist!

Ian Hunney
👍

Thu 18 Dec 2008, 21:27

Anna thank goodness there are other people that share what this lady must be going through.It never ceases to amaze me when people say that they should only let uk residents sell these magazines .I suggest that charlotte tries getting english people to sell on the streets in all weathers and she may well find they would tell her where to go.Sorry if i sound angry ,but these people have some right surely to be able to earn a little money to feed themselves as if we were in the same position abroad would we want to be driven out with such aggression.

Anna Fairhurst
👍

Thu 18 Dec 2008, 21:15

I'm sorry I haven't seen her: if the only sales pitch she can get is so far from her home, I'm not surprised if she's not there often. The Big Issue is a superb organisation, in my opinion, giving a real step up to people who for whatever reason would find it hard to get another job and building up their self-esteem and financial and people skills. I know they also give advice on issues such as housing. I strongly urge everyone to buy the Big Issue wherever it's on sale even if (like me) they don't often read it.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Thu 18 Dec 2008, 20:00

So, ‘The Big Issue’ is purely a retail business, not a charity. ANYONE that can do a Basic English speaking test can buy and sell copies, and was told they are taught how to pass this test, by learning such words as bus and Bath!

Apparently, at this time of year when the agreed ‘Big issue’ pitches in Oxford and Bath are full, these folk have to go elsewhere.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 18 Dec 2008, 13:05

I agree, but why not two or more competing bus companies on the same route at the same times?

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 18 Dec 2008, 10:25

Well I applaud the enterprising bus operator who has introduced a regular daily service between Bath and Charlbury. There is clearly a real need for it and I wish them every success with it.

Chris Bates
👍

Thu 18 Dec 2008, 09:18

Sorry, Bath, not Bristol - but the same point remains valid....

Chris Bates
👍

Thu 18 Dec 2008, 09:17

I can't believe that she needed to journey all the way from Bristol to find a suitable sales pitch?.....

Surely, somewhere closer to there would have provided her with the same takings? How much did she unnecessarily spend on fares I wonder?

Ian Hunney
👍

Thu 18 Dec 2008, 06:56

As i am fairly new to this forum it will be interesting to see how the people of charlbury deal with this situation as having read some threads on here i think she may not be in charlbury long.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 18 Dec 2008, 06:34

Charlotte, I intended no offense, I was merely using your own words:
"our government are clearly not doing enough to control these immigrants?"
and questioning whether or not the very idea that immigrants need to be controlled offers a particularly useful perspective on the matter.

As to illegal immigrants or benefit frauds 'in our midsts', I think it's easy to overlook how comparatively affluent a community Charlbury actually is.

I hardly think that either of these issues are of particular concern here. Don't subjects not directly relevant to Charlbury get relegated to the SnakePit?

Ian Hunney
👍

Wed 17 Dec 2008, 22:40

Charlotte why do you feel the need to highlight this ladies plight like this.Surely even if she is an illegal immigrant she still needs to eat the same as the rest of us,i don't see you bringing to the attention of the forum the many people in our mid'st that have no guilt feeling about doing no work while accepting help from the benefit system.We as a supposedly christian society should have the right to choose wether we help this person by buying the big issue or not .The mere fact that she is stood out in all weathers should show how desperate she is .

Charlotte Penn
👍

Wed 17 Dec 2008, 20:30

I raised this issue not to control, but to try to understand? Igor, I’d like to hear people’s opinions. Forgive me if I came across as controlling!

However, it was a shock and sad to see this poor woman practically begging here in Charlbury. That woman was destitute and in hindsight, yes I would have rather given her a cup of tea, food, a place to sleep or even a job, than money for print. I bet she had nothing offered to her today, except money?

So yes, I wasn’t charitable in some ways, but at least I spoke to her and asked her questions. She was grateful; I could see it in her eyes. At least I spoke to her as a human being.

So what’s so wrong with posing the question – to try to understand?

There was a very interesting radio 4 show about charities and cons at the weekend, so I am wary.

I really hope that forum readers aren’t too shy to air their views!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 17 Dec 2008, 19:09

How about helping rather than controlling?

Wouldn't that be season's spirit?

Charlotte Penn
👍

Wed 17 Dec 2008, 18:27

I’d be very interested to hear your views on this Afghanistan woman selling ‘The Big Issue’ outside the Co-op all day? She came in a bus from Bath. She said she was homeless, but you can be sure she was an illegal immigrant.

Whilst I have no issue with this scheme and feel sorry for this woman, but surely in this current financial crisis, isn’t this scheme to help break the cycle of homelessness and unemployment for UK residents?

I still would like to understand more - on why our government are clearly not doing enough to control these immigrants?

www.bigissue.com/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.