Catalytic converter theft

David Cook
👍

Tue 26 Oct 2021, 12:56

Catalytic theft is a nationwide common problem, recently at my workplace two guys walked into our car park in broad daylight which is overlooked on two sides by offices and CTV cameras The police were called but by the time they arrive the two thieves had left the scene with the catalytic converter in their possession.

Valerie Stewart
👍 4

Sat 23 Oct 2021, 09:09

I didn't intend to recommend a bottle of poison (or a bad rash) - a little light relief, maybe, or material for a revenge fantasy - emphasis on fantasy.  If anyone read it as a suggestion for action, I do apologise - I guess I've lived with that anecdote for such a long time that I've forgotten its impact first time around.  

Steve Jones
👍 7

Fri 22 Oct 2021, 15:56 (last edited on Fri 22 Oct 2021, 15:56)

Just in case anybody was stupid enough to consider it, paraquat is highly toxic. This is not just a painful skin rash, but is frequently fatal with even moderate ingestion. Booby-trapping is illegal in this country, and if somebody became seriously ill or died, then very serious charges would surely follow.

Fortunately I believe its use is banned in the UK

Eric Windsor
👍 2

Fri 22 Oct 2021, 11:16 (last edited on Fri 22 Oct 2021, 11:18)

You are not alone, Mary. My hybrid car was left parked on my drive in Park Street from 11.15 pm Tuesday 19th October to midday Thursday 21st. On starting up the very loud exhaust noise alerted me to possibility of exhaust damage.  My garage confirmed that the catalytic converter had been removed and needed replacement.  They are expensive items.  The police have been informed and are aware of the two incidents here in Charlbury.  I hope no others have  been affected!   

Valerie Stewart
👍 1

Fri 22 Oct 2021, 09:18

In South Africa, where I worked for many years (on the side of the good guys) it's almost impossible to insure a vehicle unless it has a crooklok or similar.  So I was surprised when an acquaintance with a fairly posh car parked without engaging any protection.  'If this car is stolen, I'll get it back within three days,' he said. 

It was indeed stolen, and it was returned within a couple of days, because he'd filled a half-bottle of Gordon's gin with paraquat and put it in the glove compartment. 

Or you could just post a message telling them to visit A&E urgently to deal with the painful skin rash that's about to develop. 

James Goad
👍

Thu 21 Oct 2021, 22:51

That’s terrible! I hope your car wasn’t damaged.

Mary Totman
👍 3

Thu 21 Oct 2021, 15:33

Just to let others know we had the catalytic converter stolen from our car on Dyers Hill overnight last night sometime between 3.30pm and 9am. Police have asked if anyone saw anything suspicious - it's unlikely I know but please send me a direct message if you did. Also just to warn others to watch out for their cars. I hope no one else has been affected.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.