Christmas Lights

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sun 7 Dec 2008, 06:46

I stand corrected. Ofcourse back in the 60's 'black lights' were what we called ultra violet lights, the ones that made our rock and roll posters glow in the dark.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 6 Dec 2008, 13:01

You are SO unobservant, Igor. Those are the houses where the people APPEAR not to have put up lights: they are anarchists, so they won't join in, and they put up black lights instead. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. This is Christmas after all.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sat 6 Dec 2008, 11:05

How come no one ever puts up black lights in Charlbury?

roger
👍

Sat 6 Dec 2008, 10:49

Thanks jon for the information .

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 6 Dec 2008, 08:19

Hey Roger, no one says lights HAVE to be white. But when the then Charlbury Chamber of Trade (now called Charlbury Business Community) started suggesting that member businesses in the town centre put lighted trees in brackets on their buildings, it was agreed to encourage simple white lights because of the special effect they create in the narrow streets. That was around 15 years or more ago, and gradually more and more businesses, followed by the owners of private houses, wanted to join.

Everyone seems to have agreed that the low-key white lights work very well. Several people who had new lights last year that turned out to be pale blue have bought new 'white' sets this year so as not to spoil the overall effect. No light police went and complained: they just decided!

That's all there is to it. Outside the narrow streets of the town centre, I doubt if anyone has ever expressed an opinion about the colours of lights. (Nor should they, to my mind!) There just seems to be a happy consensus among the existing 95 treeholders in the centre! That's why I hope the lights on the Corner House can be changed. But it's their tree and their lights and their choice.

I hope you like the tree in the Museum garden, courtesy of Charlbury Business Community. With white LED lights!

roger
👍

Fri 5 Dec 2008, 23:25

Can i ask the question please ,who says that the light have to be white and why .I only ask as for so many years we have had multi coloured lights and now that has changed ,why???

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 4 Dec 2008, 17:56

Charlbury Business Community organises virtually all the trees in the town centre (that's 95 of them), and we always encourage people to use white lights. There have been recent problems with so-called 'white' LED lights being a pale blue, though genuine white ones are now available and we give ordering details for those lights when we circulate information about the trees.

HOWEVER the tree above the Corner House door, and the brilliant blue lights on it, are the responsibility of the Town Council and no one else. Hopefully they will replace them as soon as possible. I'm sure several councillors will read this...

roger
👍

Thu 4 Dec 2008, 16:40

John you take no notice of us sarcastic buggers ,you,re doing a great job.

john h
👍

Thu 4 Dec 2008, 16:05

if you would like to put up the lights and tree next year do not hesitate to contact me!

roger
👍

Thu 4 Dec 2008, 13:23

Well then they ought to be all colours,cheer everyone up for chistmas.

brian
👍

Thu 4 Dec 2008, 10:32

Perhaps they are blue to reflect the mood of Charlbury people?

John Munro
👍

Thu 4 Dec 2008, 08:34

Why are the lights on the Christmas tree above the door to The Corner House bright blue?
I thought it was traditional for the lights in Charlbury to be white?
Does rather stick out like a bit of a sore thumb.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.