Slow Down!

David McCutcheon
👍

Thu 8 Jan 2009, 22:42

On 2nd January Richard (Site Admin) stated:
"Any discussion of cycling, driving, 4x4 snowmobiles etc. for the next fortnight WILL be deleted."

This missive may not be apparent to all, as it is somewhat hidden in the subject "Insurance Increases"

Also Igor subsequently vowed to give this forum a 'wide berth' - so expect posts addressed to him personally to pass without response.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Thu 8 Jan 2009, 22:15

Re the Slow Down thread, it is good to see that the sight lines have recently been improved on Pound Hill and that BOTH 30 signs are now visible when approaching from Spelsbury.

I am among those people don't like the obstructive parking on the Slade or on Station Hill, especially the parking on the NW side of Station Hill. It may slow the traffic, but what if a fire appliance needs to get through?

I am not opposed to the idea of a 20mph limit at school entrance / exit times (something you see in Dorset) but more general restrictions are hardly likely to be heeded.

I have no sympathy with road users (motorists or cyclists) who deliberately ignore the one way system and will do my best to impede ther progress whenever I encounter them. Partially sighted people would be particularly vulnerable to cyclists travelling the wrong way up a one way street. If you are a cyclist and want to take a short cut, the simple and legal solution is get off and walk!

A fundamental fault in the UK is that amateurs set speed limits and then expect professionals to enforce them. I wrote to OCC about the then proposed speed limit on the B4027 to Woodstock, but never received the courtesy of a reply. The accident record for this road (www.saferroads.org) does not justify a 50 limit along its WHOLE length.

Some people who pontificate about "speeding" drivers really ought to get a life. Not all RTCs are caused by speed, some by inappropriate speed, poor vehicle upkeep, a large number by inattention - not least by people who feel the need to chatter incessantly on their mobile phones. It is also amazing how many young mums feel the need to park right outside the nursery on Church Street, making the street scene more dangerous and obstructing the passage of other traffic, especially the buses that we are all being encouraged to use

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sat 6 Dec 2008, 00:13

I can move them from one to the other, but not (easily) repost them!

Brian Murray
👍

Fri 5 Dec 2008, 23:50

Richard, I posted some comments this evening under the 'One Way Streets' thread. As they are equally/more relevant to this thread, any chance you can post them here also, please?

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 3 Dec 2008, 10:29

Yes, I can tell from your comments ion the One Way Streets thread.

roger
👍

Tue 2 Dec 2008, 15:11

That easy ,we all love heavy metal Igor,sorry got my silly head on today.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 1 Dec 2008, 09:28

I'd be curious to know how the blind and partially sighted residents of Charbury benefit from the status quo?

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 30 Nov 2008, 17:14

The town has changed so much since 1998, I don't think this data is very relevant now. The main change, of course, has been the re-siting of the Co-op, and the large increase of traffic heading towards it. Traffic flows have also changed elsewhere.

On the specific issue of sharing space with cars in the town centre, I know that blind & partially sighted have experienced problems with this type of town planning. Establishing eye contact with drivers (and those on bicycles) cannot work for all.

Kate Smith
👍

Sun 30 Nov 2008, 15:45

I think there is more than this: this was the background but I'm sure I saw a spiral bound report with some practical solutions and drawings etc. which showed possible ways of implementing solutions to the problems: some look as if they've been addressed already (I'm guessing that's where the erstwhile speed-bumps on Nineacres came from and the double-yellows on Dyers Hill) and I assume it was lack of funding that meant the rest didn't happen?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 27 Nov 2008, 23:00

I had a vague inkling it might have been on a CD-ROM I have with the archives of Ray's Charlbury website - and indeed:

here it is. Very interesting reading.

Valou Pakenham-Walsh
👍

Wed 26 Nov 2008, 08:18

Thank you very much for this, Kate. I will gladly chase it up.

Kate Smith
👍

Tue 25 Nov 2008, 18:33

Probably about 10 years ago Ian Lyne was comissioned by the Town Council to put together proposals for traffic/pedestrians calming/management (and boy do some of our pedestrians need calming!) - it was a pretty thorough report and recommendations if I remember and addressed the whole Dutch system in detail - what happened to it? Valu if you or any other Town Councillors are reading can you hunt it out and let us know whether there's any chance of any or all of it being adopted? It was pre-Coop so I think it might have got put to one side until the impact of the new Coop position on traffic had been assessed, but judging by this debate now might be a good time to revive it! It seems a shame to let such a lot of thinking go to waste.

Diana Limburg
👍

Tue 25 Nov 2008, 14:23

This article explains quite beautifully how the Dutch version of such shared spaces ('woonerven') works - and why (and does it in English, don't worry). It includes some good photos:Woonerf: A Dutch Residential Streetscape.
This wouldn't apply to the Slade I think, but most town center roads would be great candidates to form a beautiful and safe joined-up shared space.
Pooles Lane is currently a good illustration of the issues with priority for different types of road-users: it IS a shared space - as pedeastrians (including children and those pushing prams) have simply nowhere else to go. Something a *minority* of motorists doesn't seem to grasp. 30 MpH may be the legal speed limit - but it is certainly not a safe speed there. I can see no reason why cars would have priority there or why pedestrians need to squeeze themselves against the walls to let hasty cars pass.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 25 Nov 2008, 12:20

Harriet, the very important difference is that a shared space confers equal legal right of way to cars, cyclists and pedestrians. Currently the only individuals who have to exercise caution in front of the Primary School are pedestrians, mainly children. The cars speeding up and down The Slade have the legal right of way, except for the two 20 minute periods when the crossing guards is there.

That's the problem.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Tue 25 Nov 2008, 11:42

"Pedestrians and cyclists must use eye contact to work out when to cross the street or give way to oncoming traffic."

But surely this is what should happen anyway, for example at the crossing by the Primary School? Pedestrians must look to work out when to cross the road (to use Igor's words, exercising natural caution), or give way to oncoming traffic?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 25 Nov 2008, 10:52

Heh! There's also the visual aspect to consider - if applied to "old Charlbury" (Church Street, Market Street, Sheep Street, Browns Lane) it would make the place a lot more attractive, which in itself has tourism spinoffs and is therefore good for local businesses. Church Street in particular suffers greatly from the wide expanse of tarmac, I think.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 25 Nov 2008, 10:50

Very interesting use of lateral thinking: reliance on eye contact and natural caution and elimination of the motorists' right of way; perfect for small rural communities.

Oh no, what have I done? I've ruined it for Charlbury by endorsing it!

Sorry, Richard ;-)

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 25 Nov 2008, 10:35

Interesting piece about shared space (which I've suggested before for Charlbury) on the BBC website this morning, at news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/the_p_word/newsid_7746000/7746777.stm .

roger
👍

Tue 25 Nov 2008, 07:12

Igor ,I for one fully support you initiative here without question (well only one)which is more a suggestion really .Do not ask for peoples support and then tell us that there does not seem to be the willingness for change .Give it a chance and then if it does not work ,come back an say ,I TOLD YOU SO .Thats what brits like ,a challenge .Best of luck anyway.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 25 Nov 2008, 07:01

Taking up Richard's point.
What to do about the frequent incidents of speeding and dangerous driving in Charlbury:
1. Organise a neighbourhood traffic watch who jot down the registration numbers of speeders and report them to the police. Wesley will help with this.

2. As in many surrounding villages, put up community slow traffic signs, reminding drivers that this is a residential village and encouraging them to kill their speed.

3. Adopting a town council initiative to make Charlbury a Speed-free town.

4. Inviting the highway police to Charlbury primary to address the school assembly on how children can encourage their parents to drive more safely and kill their speed. There are very dramatic videos depicting the effects of a 40 mph vehicle hitting a child compared to a 30 mph vehicle hitting a child. Maybe drivers will listen to their own children.

5. Encourage the town council to adopt a 20 mph speed limit in Charlbury as the majority of residential neighborhoods in Oxford are doing.

I could go on but an action list is futile if there isn't the primary ingredient for improving road safety, which unfortunately as evidenced on this forum appears lacking in Charlbury:

That is of course, the willingness to change.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Tue 25 Nov 2008, 02:34

Hi Mandy, Let’s continue this debate, as it’s now about long hours in the grease pit?

mandy
👍

Mon 24 Nov 2008, 19:36

we all have to work i dont know what you do to be so famous charlotte
but my husband works 13 hour nights shifts so your not the only one that works long hours.he also works every weekend so NEVER gets a weekend off he is also working christmas night so when you cooking all thins lovely food and sat at home my husband will be working and he works for tvp. this thread is getting boring now people speed people do stupid things like coming out of pubs in the early hours its called life.

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 24 Nov 2008, 18:53

Sorry I am not rude just pointing out some home truths we dont want to hear you telling how hard you work all the time yes we know some people speed and as again did you pull across that on coming car because speed is not at fault there and dont blame other driver for your mistakes. PS just got an SP30 myself 3 points £60 fine went over the limit got caught it happens its life it dont make me a bad person but I admit it was my fault cant and wont blame others. Charlotte my name is there just not my last name OK.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 24 Nov 2008, 10:21

Richard - I do agree with you. Good point. What do we do about it - together?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 24 Nov 2008, 09:57

If you'd like to debate in the grease pit I suggest you start the thread there rather than relying on every one being moved!

To my mind the one conspicuous omission from all these speeding threads is what to actually do about it, short of shouting on the website which surely has a very limited effect.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 24 Nov 2008, 09:02

Actually I don’t agree with you Roger – I’m optimistic and I do believe that some people can learn. Yes, there will always be those that don’t care.

I bear no angst against you. However, Roger, you do seem to continually QUESTION everyone’s points, and not just Igor’s.

This is important. Yes I’m sure people are bored of Igor raising this matter. The point is he might actually save a life.

Roger, yesterday morning when I really needed my sleep - I was firstly woken by loud men shouting aggressively, leaving the pub very very late

Then, there were fireworks at 1.15am.

Finally i woken twice by these two speeders.

Lets move this debate to the grease pit?

I’m sure you will have something further to say.

roger
👍

Mon 24 Nov 2008, 07:53

Charlotte ,why do we have to have this angst all the time from you and Igor .We all take the point on speeding and carrying on continuously will not change anyones mind,just as with drinking and driving .The police and courts will have ultimately have to deal with matters like this ,as no one is is likely to take any notice if they see it on a website such as this or any other.
So please lets have other topics that are relevant to Charlbury and more interesting for all to have an opinion on ,not just us few.

Charlotte Penn
👍

Mon 24 Nov 2008, 05:59

Paul T - usual story with men with no last names - you always question and put people down. What’s your problem? Perhaps you’re feeling guilty or speeding? You’re rude, that’s for sure.

And, yes Roger would love to go on a show and have another go at Gordon. Have met him twice and he’s just as rude, as on telly.

roger
👍

Sun 23 Nov 2008, 22:55

Igor maybe you could fix it for Charlbury by going on his show and using the sport of language you have used on this website .You often find that some celebs talk like that .While you are on there lets not waste the moment get Charlotte on with Gordon Ramsey as he uses the same language on his cooking show .Failing that if you keep on using that sort of language someone might just aim a 4x4 straight at you one of these days .

Paul Taylor
👍

Sun 23 Nov 2008, 22:35

Sorry if that sounded rude but it's the same thing all the time kill your speed.

Paul Taylor
👍

Sun 23 Nov 2008, 22:32

OK We get the point some people speed. So you can tell they were speeding by the sound yet you wont say turned across the path of a car you had seen your words. Sorry but no one was killed today or for the last year also in Charlbury by speed get a life or some sleep we dont care if you choose to work 18hour aday and still have time to write on here 3or4 times aday.
speed.
speed.
speed.
OK we have heard you point taken

Charlotte Penn
👍

Sun 23 Nov 2008, 19:56

There were two speeders early this morning. They woke me up - twice. The first one was at around 5.20am and the second at 6.40am. We all know what the roads were like this morning,and they are going to get worse. Someone could have been killed!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sun 23 Nov 2008, 19:31

As usual. my primary issue is diluted into trivial questions about whether or not Chipping Norton road is a local issue or whether or not cyclists in general are anti motorist or soem such nonesnese.

The assertions is direct, simple and indisputable:

If you drive a motorised vehicle in and around Charlbury, could you please, possibly just slow the f***k down and meanwhile adhere to the minimal driving laws by not taking up more than your fair share of the road?

'nuff said, Jeremy Clarkson devotees can write into his show.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.