Cornbury Equestrian Event. Traffic implications? (Debate)

Philip Ambrose
👍 2

Thu 23 Sep 2021, 20:28

Hi Hannen, 

Did you make it up there? We did and enjoyed a very nice family day out, at minimal expense, without any traffic queues. The polar opposite of Blenheim last Saturday where I met a family who had paid for very expensive Premium tickets and queued for THREE hours to get in from Yarnton!

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 18:56

Thank you Philip.

You have enlightened me.  I mean that without sarcasm.

Yes, perhaps I should take a look.

Philip Ambrose
👍 2

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 18:48

To your points Hannen, I know nothing about the Equestrian Society to which you refer. The RSPCA used to be an esteemed charity but has since been hijacked by lobbyists with something of a political agenda. Not sure about your reference to 9 years, Cornbury Park Horse Trials only ran in 2002 and 2020. Sorry you feel that way about the Olympics, you missed out. Eventing horses are some of the best looked after of any equestrian sport. Why not go and watch? you might be surprised. Environmental impact? should we ban all spectator sports that might involve a car journey then? Golf, football, rugby. Even the cyclists in the Olympics were supported by a plethora of vehicles, as were those in the Tour of Britain when it came through Charlbury.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 18:12

The Equestrian Society and the RSPCA do not agree with you.

Surprised that after 9 years the Cornbury event hasn't improved.

Olympics?  No - better things to do.

It's the same old argument:  "we've always done it this way..."  So bring back caning and hanging.

And your point about the environmental impact?  I think I missed that.

Philip Ambrose
👍 3

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 15:40

Eventing first came to Cornbury in 2002. Venues are inspected by the ruling body and star rated with the top ones attracting the best horses and riders (and biggest crowds). Badminton 5*, Blenheim 4* but only 3* for Cornbury at the moment. Cornbury Park seems to me to be an entirely logical venue for horse trials as long as appropriate traffic management is in place. Hannen cannot have been watching much of the Olympics if he thinks that horses are only kept for hacking out. Many of the key people in this sport live locally including David Evans who designed and built the eventing course in Tokyo.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 14:49

I always thought that people bought and maintained horses to ride them.  Not to lug the poor things around in a horse box.

Cornbury's environmental credentials are dreadful - encouraging cars, lorries, horse boxes (all emitting noxious fumes) for Wilderness, now this, what next?

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 11:47

Details of access routes for all vehicles are here: https://www.cornburyhousehorsetrials.co.uk/arriving-at-cornbury/

You might like to phone the event organisers to find out where the separate exit for cars is, since that is not listed -- hoping it's not down the main drive from Cornbury House -- but perhaps somebody else knows this. 

The main drive is the main access route for pedestrians, with buggies to pick up from the drive for those who would like this. Tickets are cheap or free for over 60s and under 16s, so some locals might like to attend. 

Basil Eastwood
👍

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 10:47

Does anybody know about the traffic implications of the new Cornbury Horse Trials from 8 to 12 September? This year the public are invited. Last year the public was not admitted, and  I don't think there were particular problems apart from an enormous horse box trying to turn round in the Cornbury entrance in Park Street.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.