SGN (Debate)

Mark Luntley
👍 3

Tue 24 Aug 2021, 16:35 (last edited on Tue 24 Aug 2021, 16:41)

Just to add the link Liz provides is excellent. I worked in and for Local Government over 30 years. Depressingly the article exactly reflects my experience over that time. 

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 13:28

Very interesting, thanks Liz.

I was vaguely aware of it but this article is full of sound analysis.

I wonder if it will ever be reversed?

I have nothing against SGN or our councillors and you are quite right to point out that they are powerless.

One just gets a bit desperate when they are are outside for 7 days and apparently no further forward.  

If this is how they deal with an "emergency" heaven help us!

Many thanks for your usual support.  

Liz Leffman
👍 4

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 09:56

Well, it is undoubtedly true that local democracy has been severely cut back by successive  governments over the past 40 years. You might find this interesting 

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5bd057c434c4e2d8eb0434e6/t/60796c249a89215efe3cd382/1618570303662/Local+Government+in+England+-+40+Years+of+Decline.pdf

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 23:40

You are, as usual, quite right, Liz.

For those of us who have been enjoined to work from our living rooms for the past 18 months OCC, MKJ and now SGN, don't make it easy.

One wonders why one has councillors at all.  They seem completely powerless.

Liz Leffman
👍 7

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 10:15 (last edited on Mon 28 Jun 2021, 10:18)

I don't know why you think this has anything to do with councillors, town or otherwise.  The utilities were privatised 40 years ago.  The operatives are doing the right thing in investigating it and I would rather suffer a bit of disturbance than a catastrophic explosion. 

Jean Adams
👍 1

Sun 27 Jun 2021, 19:16

Oh dear. I saw them this morning! Poor you. I thought the language might be quite strong but not strong enough in a gas situation,!

Hannen Beith
👍 3

Sun 27 Jun 2021, 16:07 (last edited on Sun 27 Jun 2021, 16:09)

They were back yesterday evening, and again this morning at 9.30 am.  On the Sabbath!  They are still here at past 4.00 pm.

I spoke with them and have provided them with tea/coffee and pork pies.

They said there is a leak but they can't find it!  They are using pneumatic drills which I would have thought was slightly dangerous if there is a gas leak?

It's been a week now and having read the Town Council Mission Statement I am surprised that no Councillor takes responsibility.  The deep holes they have dug are bang (sic) next door to the bus stop where people have a fag whilst waiting for the bus.

Having been subjected to misery most days and some nights since January 2020 (OCC, MKJ) I really wonder what I pay my Council Tax for.  We've had operatives in the house with testing gadgets which showed that there was no gas here, thankfully.  Can't someone get a grip?

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 22 Jun 2021, 19:56

Just spoke with them.  Someone smelt gas.  Not ours!

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 22 Jun 2021, 19:36

Does anyone know why an SGN operative is digging holes outside my cottage and spraying yellow paint around them, at this hour?  (7.30 pm)

Yes, the same stretch of pavement that MKJ dug up.

Gas leak?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.