K Harper
👍

Tue 22 Jun 2021, 10:42

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57564355

Do we believe this man? Kris

Leah Fowler
👍 1

Sat 5 Jun 2021, 11:31

At an inquest all medical records are shared in an open court! In front of reporters and anyone else who is there.

Charlie M
👍 5

Fri 4 Jun 2021, 09:17 (last edited on Fri 4 Jun 2021, 09:17)

Me too Christine. I shall be handing my Dissent Form in at the Medical Centre today. The idea that drug companies (for example) could contact you directly is utterly reprehensible. Presumably this government intends to make money out of making our data accessible.

OVER MY DEAD BODY.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Thu 3 Jun 2021, 19:51

People will have different views about this, of course. But it looks as if GPs also have concerns: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/30/gps-warn-plans-share-patient-data-third-parties-england

Since I have been followed medically and socially since I was born (and still ongoing), I have particular concerns about keep this already anonymised data truly anonymous. Others may feel differently.

Hannen Beith
👍 5

Thu 3 Jun 2021, 12:52

The "Dissent" form states: "I am writing to give notice that I refuse consent for my identifiable information to be
transferred from your practice systems for any purpose other than my medical care."

So I think that a transfer to a Hospital clinician is exempt.

Duncan Forbes
👍 3

Thu 3 Jun 2021, 10:03

The form that Christine gives a link to could, it seems, prevent the GP practice sharing any of my medical data. As someone who has signed up to Patient Access I have noticed that when under treatment at the Oxford Hospitals, as I have been recently, data from my GP record has frequently been accessed by hospital clinicians. For decades the NHS has been trying to improve patient management through shared clinical records - i.e. in effect an electronic record which can be accessed anywhere by an authorised NHS clinician. To  restrict this would be a very retrograde step. I'm not sure how to continue to agree to that, whilst preventing my record being "harvested" and sold to other organisations where it might be used for dubious purposes.

Hannen Beith
👍 3

Sun 30 May 2021, 12:01

Agree, and shocking.  Whatever next?  You can be sure that there's money in it for someone.

Thank you Christine.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Sun 30 May 2021, 11:54

Now a top story in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/30/gps-warn-plans-share-patient-data-third-parties-england

But if you decide you do want to opt out of GP data sharing, I do recommend the links in my post of yesterday for more information, especially for the links to the right forms -- not necessarily the same as the ones provided on the NHS website. Also important to get the right forms for children and other dependents.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Sat 29 May 2021, 22:21 (last edited on Sun 30 May 2021, 09:13)

Thank you, Christine. This is very interesting.

Amanda Epps
👍 4

Sat 29 May 2021, 22:18

Thank you for letting us know about this Christine.  I certainly don’t want Johnson to know about my medical history.  It’s like 1984, the book not the year.

Christine Battersby
👍 7

Sat 29 May 2021, 11:58

Although not simply a local issue, I thought I would post here, since this affects everyone in England and has only recently -- and not very publicly -- been announced.

From 1 July this year, if you’re registered with a GP in England, the government will be taking a copy of every medical event your GP recorded on their systems since you first registered with them, and also for the future -- unless you opt out. (Your children’s records, too, if you have children, also those of adults whom you care for.) Once taken, the information cannot later be deleted, although it will be possible to stop further data being taken by subsequently opting out.

Information on immunisations, sexual orientation, mental and sexual health and other personal details is being collected for sharing, including family history, blood test results, body mass index and smoking/alcohol habits

Patients have until June 23 to opt-out of having their data shared by filling in a form and taking it to their GPs. Opting out will not affect the medical care that you receive.

The FT first reported this on May 26th, and it has also been reported widely in Wales (which is not affected). For clear instructions on how to opt out (if you so wish), see https://medconfidential.org/for-patients/gp-2021/

Open Democracy also has a very clear article about the issues: https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/matt-hancock-has-quietly-told-your-gp-hand-over-your-health-data-why/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.